Author Topic: Released to go back to work  (Read 3959 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Released to go back to work
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:13:24 pm »
Greetings all,

Three months out, I am now released to return to work tomorrow.. Finally. Even though I will be going in late and leaving early for a few weeks, it is relief to get the okay. I've got some challenges ahead though. I went to first meeting of the governor's workforce commission last week since I am staffing one of the workgroups and was all but overwhelmed by the chaos during both pre- and post-meeting activities. Something I will have to keep in mind..

My balance therapy is very well. The therapist of the day always finds new ways to delight and challenge my balance system.  But, I also seem to improve session to session.

Eating still requires focus and eliminating some foods because of my lack of saliva most of the time, decreases swallowing ability, and easily irritated vocal cords. Popcorn will send me into paroxysms of coughing. Multi-tasking and eating are not a good combination.

I am still anemic, but that is improving. Also improving is the facial movement. Voluntary movement started 4 weeks ago and continues to strengthen. Eye problems are still with me. Doc says my cornea looks "beat up and pretty crappy" so we are watching it carefully and may take stronger action next month.

Yes, some problems. But I have walked up to seven miles at a time, I'm driving well, and I am back to work.

Another MRI in two months and perhaps a plan for radiation therapy.  We'll see...nothing I didn't expect might be the case.

Life is good.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Released to go back to work
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »
Tod .....

WOW, considering what all you have been through, it is tremendous to be released to go back to work at the three month mark.  As you are finding out, there will be challenges ..... my guess is largely fatigue, which then causes other things to be worse ..... balance, tinnitus, etc.  Be sure to allow enough "down time" in your schedule to recoup in between work sessions.

Best thoughts as you re-enter the work force!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »
Tod ~

Congratulations on returning to work ! 

Obviously, it will present some challenges but I trust you'll have the ability to surmount them and adapt as necessary.  I wish you much success and compliment you on your notable progress thus far in your recovery.  Well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:18:05 pm »
Tod:

You sure have been through alot. But it's great to see that life is good despite the many challenges you are facing. You will find that getting back to the work routine, even if it's part-time will help your recovery--it sure helped me.

Take it easy and be patient. I will send good thoughts your way to help keep the headaches away.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:33 am »
Congratulations on reaching the back to work milestone, Tod.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:19:15 am »
You've been through a lot and I'm so proud of you.   Keep it up one step at a time.   

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:49:20 am »
Congratulations just take it slow one day at a time.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

moe

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:52:15 am »
Tod,
Congratulations on going back to work! Now the real work begins. The noise factor is probably one of the worst aspects to get used to if you are SSD.
Hopefully you don't have tinnitus.
When things settle down more, may want to check the BAHA if you haven't already.
Don't be surprised if you are totally wiped out when you get home. Hopefully this will improve as you settle into your new routine.
You have been through SOOOO much, and I am VERY impressed! :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:40:14 am »
Tod,
It will take some time to get used to things moving at a regular pace.  I remember everything feeling like it was going to fast for me to process, but as you said you're coming in late and leaving early and hopefully napping when you get home.  The first few weeks back to work are very tiring but you will get used to it.  Just try to remember to leave the room and go to a "quieter" place until your brain unwinds from all the madness and noise, do some deep breathing and you should be OK to reenter the meeting.  I just hope that your place of employment is empathetic to your situation.

Good luck and hang in there you will do just fine, but listen to what your body is trying to tell you,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

kenneth_k

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 12:53:10 pm »
Hi Tod.

Awesome ;D
Congratulations on returning to work

Kenneth

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:22 pm »
Thanks for the support and good wishes everyone!

I was pretty wiped by midafternoon and glad to have an excuse to leave early, namely to pick up my truck after being repaired.

Moe, I was pretty much SSD prior to surgery and I do have tinnitus now that comes and goes. Most times I don't notice anything. I am very fortunate to work in a state office that has no real foot traffic and very little noise.

The hardest part are telephone calls as they strain what little voice I have. Not a whole lot I can do about that right now, other than accept it. We'll see what the doc says next week about my vocal cords.

Thanks again everyone...it is really good to have a place where people understand the daily challenges.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:06:25 am »
Being wiped by mid-afternoon is pretty common - at least in my experience.

When I first returned to work, I went half days for 2 weeks.  Made it easy to nap at home in the afternoon - and I DEFINITELY needed it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:54:20 am »
I'm still wiped our mid afternoon  :oand need a nap :) I call it my happy nap :) :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
I envy those of you who can take naps. Since my surgery I've only been able to take a nap about 2 times. Seriously!! It's not that I don't try. I do try. I have laid down to rest so many times due to fatigue, but can't sleep. I don't know what the surgery did that makes it so difficult for me to take a nap. And the 2 times I have taken a nap, I woke up with a headache.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Lizard

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 07:48:49 am »
Syl,
I'm not a napper either so I can relate, but during my recovery my sleeping pattern was really screwy so I slept at the drop of a dime.  Wish I could do that now, but I'd probably, like you said, wake up with a headache...
liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt