Author Topic: Headache free workout!  (Read 8526 times)

Lizard

Headache free workout!
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »
So for the first time since my surgery, a good 17 months I just had my first real workout!  I've been going easy for quite a while, doing what I could....but I felt really good today so I thought I'd give my old favorite kickboxing class a try.  This was an amazing experience and I am so pumped up on endorphins I may not sleep tonight. I was even able to do jumping jacks and mountain climbers, and both were impossible before, believe me I've tried.  Of course I have to be careful and pay attention to my surroundings so I don't fall on anyone, but it was fantastic!

On a serious note, over the last month I had an aggressive round of 4 occipital nerve blocks and they have seemed to really help most of the pain.  Of course I still get "DEFCON 5" (thank you Erin) headaches, but not nearly as often and the morning headaches are gone!  I only really feel the pain in my eye socket and extending to the temple area, which still needs to be addressed, but is tolerable. I'm still taking Indocin, but I feel like I might be entering a new headache chapter, or at least I hope and pray that I am.  More good days than bad, that's what I'm reaching for...less meds and less pain.

Hopefully this trend continues because I really love to exercise and none of my clothes fit anymore  :(

Just wanted to share the happy news  ;D

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Headache free workout!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:04 pm »
Liz:

Something tell me you're going to be real tired tomorrow. But it's great that you can get back to your old exercise routine.

I was also getting those morning headaches up until about 1 or 2 months ago. I was calling in sick alot. Progress is slow, but it does get better, doesn't it?

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »
Liz,
I am so happy for you. I can't wait for the day when I have the energy and no pain and can exercise again. Hearing about your progress makes me feel that my day will come eventually too. Cheers  ;D to no headache days!!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:48 pm »
Cheers!  Today is a great day and tomorrow will probably be a tired day...that's why we take this one at a time! 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 07:43:45 am »
Liz!
I can't believe it missed this! I'm so glad that you were able to get a good workout in. That is SO great...I know for me that being physically active had always been a huge part of my life and having to restrict that due to headaches and pain was hard for me to accept. As I started to not have to worry about that as much, it made me so much happier. I felt more like "me" again.  Yeah, I still get a DEFCON 5 every now and then but I feel like the more active I am, the fewer I get. I hope that you are continuing to feel good and that as  time goes on, the DEFCON 5's become a thing of the past! I really enjoyed meeting you and Kevin at the brunch and I hope to see you guys at the brunch in October! Take care!

Erin

opp2

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:34:58 am »
I've been finding headaches coming on as a result of my workout, and I'm pre op. It really has interferred with my ability to complete my workouts, and quite frankly, I've been off the regular workout track for about 3 months. Since going to Vancouver. I ache to get back at it, but it seems every time I do, I end up with a doozy of a headache. Perhaps I should medicate prior to, and after...I don't know. I just know how disappointed I am, and that makes me tres pleased for you Liz..I see a light at the end for me.

Please keep us posted as to your progress....

Living vicariously through you!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:04:00 pm »
Hi, Liz ~

I mistakenly overlooked your post from last week but I'm pleased to learn that you were able to successfully work out and are essentially headache-free.  So, how tired were you, anyway?

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »
Erin,  Thanks and it was great meeting you and your Mom as well.  No DEFCON 5ers in almost a week.  I'm so thrilled...and its great to feel like I'm moving forward again.

Opp2, I'm sorry you can't exercise without pain.  I know how terribly frustrating it is, and medicating before is a good idea.  Hopefully it works for you, keep me posted as well.

Jim, I was pretty beat, but it was totally worth it! 

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:42:39 am »
Great news, Liz!
Headaches have kept me from working out for some months now. Before that I was well on my way to my pre-bab(ies) weight! Oh well..  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 05:37:53 pm »
I just went for round two with the brutal kickboxing Nazi and again feel great.  I had a slight headache at the end of the class but attribute that to going a little overboard, but now just an hr later its gone.  I know I'm still having headaches, but finally have found something that works!  Its such a great feeling to be back to some of my old activities  :)  I think I may try another class later this week....that is if I can lift my arms...ha ha

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

opp2

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:09:25 pm »
Thanks DL and Liz. I'm back at it slowly but surely. I worked out today, and felt great for about 20 minutes then the head issues started. C'est la vie...I really want to be in shape for surgery so I'll find a way to keep at it.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
Opp2, the 20 minute mark is where I was having issues before, but hopefully after your surgery is going to help!!!! 
Thanks for the good wishes...

Donnalynn I'll have to try the L-glutamine, and thanks kickboxing is great and I love it, I'm so happy my balance is better.  The only time I have problems is in the dark or in a large store I get wonky.

Take care all!
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 11:49:27 am »
YAAAAAY LIZARD!!

The nerve bocks are really weird--seem to help some people immeasurably and don't faze others, but are well worth the try.  I find that the Botox helps the temple and behind the eye pain a lot.  We're just going to have to call ourselves "needleheads." Or "pinheads."  Glad you are having such good results.  My next occipital headache, I'm going back to the pain doc for another nerve block.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Lizard

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »
Thanks Capt Deb,
Its hard to tell how the blocks will do and how long so I'm taking full advantage!  I'm happy the Botox is helping you, I really wish that they shots were considered medical and I didn't have to pay for them out of pocket or I'd most definitely be there waiting to get stuck. 
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 12:28:02 am »
That is a great feeling, to be somewhat "normal" again?  I know we've all had our days where we wake up and are like, huh...I feel different!!  Those days are become more often for me (and I am only 5 months post).  I am very glad to hear you aren't suffering from the headaches like you were...keep rockin'!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston