Author Topic: NOISE IN HEAD  (Read 20066 times)

jazzfunkanne

NOISE IN HEAD
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:03:27 am »
Hi all, i hope you dont mind me posting this question their is a few folk in the uk looking for answers their neuro doc. refers them to ent (pass the buck lol)

just when their  falling asleep they get a strange noise in their  head which they can only describe as an electric shock with a loud noise but no pain... any idea's what it could be. though it worth asking everyone herex
many thanks
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

sunfish

Re: NOISE IN HEAD
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:30:18 am »
I have several weird noises/sensations in my head.  When you tell people this, they think youi're crazy.  It's very frustrating.  Some of the sensations are kind of creepy and bothersome, I think.

Diagnosed with hearing loss in September.  Then I noticed a whistling sound in my right AN ear when I turn my head left.  This was around December.  Was worried for about a day, but internet said there are forms of tinnitus that just occur when you move a certain way.  Diagnosed with AN mid-January, and CK in March.  Whistling noise has gradually increased, to where sometimes I hear it when I chew.  ENT says "I don't know what that is."

Since my big vertigo episode in January, I sometimes have this noise/sensation in my head, which sounds/feels like electric shock, or sound/feeling you would have if you put a few coins in the bottom of an empty coffee can and slid them around in a circle.  That sounds insane, but that is what it's like.  I, too, get it when I'm going to sleep. Sometimes my hearing comes and goes with this feeling.  Sometimes I have a teeny bit of vertigo/disequilibrium with this feeling.  No pain. These sounds/feeling must be neurological.  I think I'm just stuck with them  :(
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:55:34 am »
Ah, the noises in the head!!!

I sometimes have this noise/sensation in my head, which sounds/feels like electric shock, or sound/feeling you would have if you put a few coins in the bottom of an empty coffee can and slid them around in a circle.

sunfish, loved this description.  I think each of us with tinnitus have unique sounds, or combination of sounds.  My most annoying one is the clanging triangle sound.

It seems to be fairly common that one's tinnitus is the worst at night, just before going to sleep ..... when everything else is quiet ..... at least it is for me.  Most of the time now I can successfully refocus my attention and/or block it out, but it is always there.

I am curious, though, if this electric shock/loud noise type lasts only a few seconds, it may not be actual tinnitus but simply a function of nerves knitting/healing, especially the trigeminal nerve if it was involved.  If so, it seems logical that it will gradually get better.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:23:52 am »
I experience the electrical zap noise/feeling also...not as often as the first months post op, however.  Know this has been discussed on a couple of threads - I'll try to find one of them for you when I can get back here later today...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:04:19 am »
Thanks cindy i know theres threads somewhere but i cant find themx

Lise

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »
I'd love to see the thread, I get those "electric shocks" at least once a day since GK.  It happens mainly when I'm tired.
Lise'

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »
I get noises in my head from both the good ear and deaf ear.  Sometime it's just ringing/"tinnitus" and other times it sounds like something heavy fell in the other room or a door slamming.  Of course, I hear the heartbeat in there too.   You name it, and someone on this forum has heard it :)

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:11:46 am »
Here are a couple of the threads with discussion of the electric zaps...know there are others, but I can't seem to find them...

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11199.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12296.0

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

shabuck

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 04:02:21 pm »
jazzfunkanne, thanks for posting this here... it was me on the UK site that was askimg about it..I've since seen my surgeon and he said he has no idea what it is... pass the buck was me as its my surname...lol
2cm left side.. surgery booked for 3rd dec 09. St Georges London - Professor Bell.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 05:54:23 am »
i didnt realise this was you lol, this is a great site isnt itx

madison

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »
hello!
well let me begin by saying i'm sorry you are having this symptom, but i am releived to see i'm not alone. i posted about this very same occurrence when i was about 18 mths post gk. it has since subsided(thank goodness!) and i'm hopeful that yours will too. i would be falling asleep and it was like an electric jolt in my head. zap! it made me dread going to bed at night. i think this probably happened off and on for at least a month. wishing you recovery from this and sweet dreams very soon.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

MamaGina

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:01 am »
YES, YES, YES!!  I have had this exact thing! While falling asleep, I would hear loud, banging, electric  shock-like sounds. I mentioned to a neurologist, and he suggested it was caused by my q-tip usage. What an idiot!  This is why I hate talking to drs. They make how much money??  And they have no clue. I seriously wish I went to med school. Needlesstosay, I do not see him any longer. I ned to find another, but I have difficulty trusting them.  :-[
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!