Author Topic: Choosing the best nyc surgeons: Roland/Golfinos or Steig/Selesnick  (Read 4277 times)

nycnewbie

Hi everyone.
I am a 29 year-old female who was just diagnosed with a 1.2 cm left AN about 2 weeks ago. I am still in the state of shock, but have gotten in many appts with surgeons as I want this thing out sooner than later. I would really love to hear good experiences anyone has had with either of these 2 teams. Also, I would like to talk with you possibly on the phone. The thing that threw me for a loop was that Roland recommended middle fossa and steig/selesnick recommended retrosigmoid.
Please help me anyone out there. I need hope and positivity.
Thanks.
S.

m4guzman

Re: Choosing the best nyc surgeons: Roland/Golfinos or Steig/Selesnick
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:21:58 am »
I think I am the right person.  I just had Midde fossa for a 1.5cm AN with Roland in Goldfines.  Please feel feel to pm me. 

Marybeth

(Hi Marybeth.. had to remove your personal phone number... thanks for undestanding. Phyl)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:29:07 pm by ppearl214 »
1.5cm on left side MRI 2/2/09
Some hearing loss
Thinking about surgery

jtd71465

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:45:41 pm »
Look forward to speaking with you.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

geri

Roland/Golfinos or Selesnick/Gutin or ...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:31:16 pm »
I have a similar question. Both Selesnick and Roland have suggested retrosigmoid surgery for 1.5 cm  that has extended into the CPA area.

I definitely want to do the surgery asap. Can anyone share their experience with either team?

I prefer not to travel to Los Angeles unless everyone thinks that is truly the best.
1.5 cm AN; removed via retro-sig 9/29/10 by Roland/Golfinos at NYU.  No hearing on left side.

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:27:47 pm »
Hi Nycnewbie and Geri,

Both teams are equally good at removing the tumor this size ( < 2cm). I don't believe you absolutely have to travel to LA unless you want to because the expertise is there locally. I think the most important decision should be based on your comfort level  with the doctors involved and whether or not you believe they will do a good job.

An additional consideration for anybody young ( definitely Nycnewbie and sorry geri I don't know your age) is hearing preservation. This is because many things could happen to you in your life one of which can affect your other ear and rob you of any hearing if AN ear is already deaf. Another possibility, which is hard to think about, is NF2. An AN at this before 30 years of age is one of the red flags for NF2.

Middle fossa is attempted for hearing preservation purposes, so that means your hearing is considered good enough to be salvageable. Retrosigmoid can also be used for hearing preservation but only if surgeon intends to uses it this way. Please, ask how he plans to do it. It is really important in your case.

Either way, you should get references of people whose hearing has been preserved if you decide that this is a goal.

Hope it helped. Best wishes with your choice!

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

jross

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »
Just wondering.  Did you send your mri to House to look at?  I chose to go to LA and felt confident in my decision, however I never saw the two teams of surgeons you are referring to.  House will talk to you and give advise.  When I was diagnosed with a 3cm an my doctor immediately told me to go to LA.  There is no second guessing there.
The two surgeons I met with in NY, Dr. Jaffar and Dr. Post,both recommended retrosigmoid  while House recommended translab.  Since there was little chance that my hearing would be preserved I went for the surgery with the least complications and went to LA.  Good luck with your decision.
       Jill