Author Topic: Afraid of being a whooz?  (Read 10436 times)

scarriegirl

Re: Afraid of being a whooz?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 11:01:49 pm »
Hey Kenneth
I am at 17 month post op and definitely in a slump.  Everyone expects me to be all good because i look fine and it's been a while, but I am still totally symptomatic.  I don't drive because I dont trust myself not to have a spell and sometimes i think about using a cane on the subway and in crowds so that people will at least have some kind of not wellness to see.  I am 100% deaf on my right side and today in the grocery store someone was talking to me and thought i was a real jerk when i didn't respond.  On my right side of course!  It's a lot to swallow.  The surgeons consider us well when we are neuroma free, but there is a whole lot that they don't address.  I am hopeful reading about this 18 month slump!

x
Carrie
"when you reach the end of the rainbow there's always another color!"
finally diagnosed 8/08
retro surgery scheduled nov. 17 at boston medical
there is a tennis ball in my ear!! at least it feels like it.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Afraid of being a whooz?
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 06:17:15 am »
Carrie .....

Recovery from an AN is not a steady uphill progress ..... we go forward and backward.  But, the good news is ..... it is much more forward than backward.  And, it is sometimes rapid progress and sometimes very slow progress.  Each of us is having a unique recovery.  Even at over two years out, I can look back and say "Well, I couldn't do that x months ago."  Do not give up!  Things will continue to get better.

Re:  a cane on the subway ..... I resisted greatly at first about using a cane (gave it up totally months ago now), but in crowds it is better to be safe so used the cane only in those situations for a long time.  Even now, in a crowd I get disoriented because I lose my stable gaze fixation.  I have learned to instinctively find a wall or something that does not move to keep my focus before I try to walk.  I also try to stay to the wall side of a room or lightly hang on to my husband or a friend when in crowds.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011