Author Topic: Eyelid  (Read 4046 times)

briansmome

Eyelid
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:45 am »
Right after surgery, my eye seemed to kinda 'gape' open; was completely unable to blink. Now I have some slight movement in the eyelid, but it seems to me that the upper lid now kind of 'droops'. Is that fairly normal, or standard??
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: Eyelid
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:52:14 am »
Brian,

What you're experiencing is very normal, doesn't happen to all, but normal all the same. My left eyelid and eyebrow both droop something awful. I haven't had voluntary movement of my left eyelid since surgery; 30 July 09. I can partially close the eye but that is because it has been sown shut halfway across to help protect the cornea; from the outside to just before the pupil so I can still see, although my vision in the left eye is very blurry. I have to close my good eye in order for the left to close.  Hopefully a temporary situation...!

I hope you continue to see improvement.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:56:39 am »
Hi there Brian:  My AN eye looked like a wide open skeleton before I had a weight put in the upper lid.  I'm very glad to hear that you are getting 'slight movement' - congratulations on that.  As far as the droopy upper eyelid -- funny you should mention it b/c last night I dreamed my eyelid was a little droopy but I was so happy b/c it made it look more symmetrical to my other eye.  Of course I woke up & saw my AN eye still looks slightly larger.  I never had the 'droopy' on the AN eye.  Like Doc said,  hope for you it's temporary.  For me,  I'd like a 'little droop'...
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

briansmome

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:11:28 pm »
Mine is also sewn partially shut to protect my cornea (after the transplant). So at first I wasn't sure. But is has now drooped enough so that I can barely see my eyeball at all. Interesting. Loving the 'movement', too. Very encouraging.
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

Doc

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »
Brian,

Do you patch your eye and use PM Refresh or other ointment? I can go without a patch but must use PM Refresh (by the gallon) to keep it lubricated otherwise it gets irritated really bad. I never can remember the name of the procedure "we" had to sew the eye shut.  Do you remember what its called...thera somethingorother?

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

briansmome

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01:11 am »
Doc,

tarrsorraphy (sp?) Does thatsound right to you?. I use Genteal gel(yes, tons) and tape it shut at night.

Doc

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:30 am »
Brian,

Yeah, that's it, Tar-somethingorother (SP). I tried the GenTeal, it burned so, yup, tossed it. The PM Refresh works great for me. I don't tape or patch anymore accept at shower time...shampoo in the eye stings. I go through a tube of PM in about four days...not cheap either but it beats the alternative.

Take Care and I hope you continue to "see" positive change!
  ;)
Doc