Author Topic: Eight weeks Post-op  (Read 2718 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Eight weeks Post-op
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »
Eight weeks ago, surgery began, it was finished the following day at dinner time.

My recovery has not been easy, but on the other hand it is not been bad at all. And this week has been exceptionally good.

Sunday my son took me fishing and for 3 mile hike on the trail around the lake. It wiped me out, but I did it.

Monday I survived a trip to the dentist and OT. And my first effort at eating in public at the very noisy food court in the mall went well, despite the impact of the chaotic noise and movement on my balance and sense of well-being.

Tuesday my wife drove us nearly four hours to our son's college for a baseball double-header. It was a gorgeous day to sit outside for a few hours. Followed this with another dinner in public and a long ride home. Things went really well, but it did tire me out.

Wednesday was a visit to an ophthmalogist. No news there, just primarily a chance to have my eye evaluated, as well as my eye care routine. All is good, and I am doing the right thing. However, it is just a question of waiting out the months of healing ahead as my left-side vision is currently uncorrectable. I should mention that at my first OT appointment, the therapist taped over 3/4ths of my left lens from the outside in. While a bit strange, this has dramatically reduced my double vision without covering the eye completely and makes most everything much easier.

Afterwards, we went to IHOP for an early lunch. AS he walked across the parking, a driver pulled up and got out to give us each a hug. It was Tanya, my primary nurse in ICU, She had seen us drive into the parking lot as she was leaving, and tunred around to say hi, She was delighted to see us, to see me out and about, and was very pleased with my progress.

Thursday was an EGD to follow-up on the bleeding ulcer I had a year ago, as well as regular on Barrett's Esophagus that I was also diagnosed with last year. All is good. Plus dinner out last night to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary.

Finally, today I had another OT appointment. The current diagnosis is that my left arm and shoulder are simply weak and so I have strengthening exercises to do. Not a problem. That I can handle. While I have the same range of motion that the therapists have had, it is little less than I had before. Apparently during that very long surgery they had my arm tied out of the way and so I have some very serious weakness. Like I said though, weakness I can handle.

A very good week to cap off eight weeks of recovery.  Back to the neurosurgeon on May 10th and hopefully back to work the next day. I have been doing some telework the last two weeks and am getting more comfortable each day.

My voice is still very weak. It is worsened by my allergies and I still have frequent coughing fits. Not fun, but bearable.I see that ENT again at the end of April and we'll make a decision then about further tweaking of my left vocal cord.

And, as I already posted on the Facial Issues forum, on the ride down on Tuesday I noticed that I have voluntary facial twitching.My cheek is almost numb from practicing this over and over again. ;-) It is delightfully frustrating to try and isolate these muscles to make them work and to make sure I am not using my jaw to make it look like something it is not. Fortunately my wife has observed the twitching.

It has been a good week. Shucks, it has actually been a good eight weeks.

And thanks again for all the support everybody here provides.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Eight weeks Post-op
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »
Sounds good to me Tod.   I went back to work after 8 weeks - too soon in my guesstamation, but had to be done. 
You're doing everything right for yourself.  Well done my friend & continued healing.   Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:05:05 am »
Well done Tod  ;D
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:34:10 am »
My recovery has not been easy, but on the other hand it is not been bad at all. And this week has been exceptionally good.

Sunday my son took me fishing and for 3 mile hike on the trail around the lake. It wiped me out, but I did it.

I went fishing on a boat at about 7 weeks post... I almost fell in several times....but I did it... as Nancy said...I too went back to work at 8 weeks...
It was hard... but I think if I stayed home 6 months... it still would of been hard... I needed to just get out of the house and do it...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:22:16 am »
Sounds like your recovery is going exceptionally well and what a positive attitude as well...
Congrats!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 11:33:21 am »
Tod ~

Even considering the individual variables, It is very helpful for those facing AN surgery to be able to read a detailed account of one patient's recovery process, so, thanks for the informative update. May your recovery continue apace.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »
Dear Tod,
I sooooo Proud of you and your efforts after that monster surgery.   You've come a long way and now you're out and about taking long car trips and going fishing and hiking.   Keep up the PT and OT and you'll be there in time.   Remember the turtle...slow and steady wins the race!!!
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh