Author Topic: weird noises and sensations  (Read 2154 times)

SHunter59

weird noises and sensations
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:28:10 pm »
Hubby is 2 weeks post op from his Gamma knife treatment and is doing great. He can't understand why anyone would NOT choose the Gamma Knife over traditional surgery. Anyway, during all the research and from speaking with the doctors themselves everyone has said that hubby's hearing would not come back. But, this weekend I was messing around and since hubby can't hear in his left ear I blew a raspberry in his ear not thinking that it would bother him...well he shouted "OWW" and rubbed his ear. I asked could he hear that and he said yes!!! So, we have done some experiments including putting an ear bud headphone for his IPod in his ear and cranking up the tunes and he can hear the music. He said it's tinny but he can hear it. Now this is a guy, who pre-op, couldn't hear a thing including the loudest test they had when he had his hearing test done that was so loud the technician could hear it outside the soundproof room, so that was pretty darn loud. How can this be happening and does anyone else have experience with hearing returning after gamma knife? Could it be possible that he could end up with some functioning hearing? I hate to get his hopes up for nothing but it does seem promising. He also said that the fullness he's been feeling since December has eased and he feels really good. He's also experiencing weird noises like morse code, popping, crackling, high pitched beeps in his left ear, the one the AN is in.

Sorry for rambling but I am very excited.
Left AN 1.7 x 1.5 x 1.4 cm diagnosed 1/19/10, SSD left ear
GK 3/11/10 performed by Dr. McMenomy of OHSU and Dr. Bader of the Gamma Knife Center of Portland.

Kate B

• AN World
Re: weird noises and sensations
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »
Wow...that is awesome.

That being said, know that with radiation, the final results can take up to two years to know the hearing outcome.

In the meantime  at two weeks and maybe forever, celebrate.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

grega

Re: weird noises and sensations
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »
Hi Ms. S,

With all due respect to the medical community that practices GK, perhaps you're on to something regarding testing, post-procedure, by blowing raspberries in ears!  Ya just never know ......  ::) ;D

Nice to "hear" your excitement!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"