Author Topic: Strange balance test results  (Read 4917 times)

amye

Strange balance test results
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »
I'm starting a new thread for this because I think it got buried in my last post.

I went this week for a VNG (balance test) and augiogram (hearing test). Last ones were about 10 months ago. Hearing is the same (very good still), but my balance loss has gone from 50% (10 months ago) to only 15% now. I am SO confused! I thought the nerve was dying, and was actually hoping to see a steady decline -- which would indicate that either surgery or radiation might not be so hard for me to recover from.

Obviously, I don't understand as much about all this as I thought. Anyone who can offer an explanation please help!

Amy

Lizard

Re: Strange balance test results
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »
Amye

It is not uncommon for the balance nerve on the unaffected side to compensate while the tumor side nerve is deteriorating.  I never had any balance problems until after the surgery and I imagine you will have the same if you are pre-op which is what is seems.  This to me and I am not a doctor would be a good sign  8)

Congrats on your balance!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

amye

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:50:58 am »
Thanks Liz...but my AN side went from 50% to 15%! The other side is normal. I realize that this is good news in some way, but it also seems to mean that the nerve is not dying/deteriorating as I had thought.

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:25:13 am »
No problem, let me clarify.  My guess is that the tumor side is still deteriorating as you say, but the non tumor side is compensating so you will see your balance improve.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »
Yep, as one side is giving up, the other side is getting stronger and stronger.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:39:26 pm »
Aren't those balance tests very specific for each ear, that is strange to me that it improved what did the Dr say about that?
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

amye

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:23:45 am »
Hi Rivergirl...sorry I've been away for a few days!

Haven't spoken with the doctor yet. I had thought this was a specific test, too, so I'm truly baffled. Obviously my "damage" wasn't from the AN alone, but perhaps from inflammation?? Not sure but will let you know after I see my vestibular therapist next week -- she will have some explanation I'm sure!

Amy

amye

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:48:12 am »
Just wanted to post an update...

Saw my vestibular therapist yesterday and she is totally baffled by my test results. She called the neurotologist in and he couldn't make sense of them either. They said I either have another condition called "non-compensating neurinitis" which is causing my symptoms (rather than the AN) or the test results are invalid (because the AN actually destroys the nerve and thus the test results would not improve). At any rate, my chronic nystagmus continues and my symptoms are the same.

Also, they discussed giviing me a shot of dexamethasone (steroid) in my ear...anyone ever hear of this?   

Amy