Author Topic: Running for NF2  (Read 2417 times)

allegro17

Running for NF2
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
Hi everyone!

After I was diagnosed with NF2 in December, I decided that I would like to try to put my hobby of marathoning to good use by raising money for the cause.  In April I will run two marathons on two consecutive weekends for the charity NF Inc.   The first is Boston on 4/19, and then I will fly out to CA to do Big Sur on 4/25 - yikes!!!  I am excited to be doing this for a cause that I and I know many of you believe in.  If you would like to read more about me and the races, or contribute, or just spread the word, you can visit me at www.firstgiving.org/lbarbieri
I hope everyone is well - needless to say, this year has been a little out of control crazy busy for me.  I am having surgery to remove a tumor on my spinal chord the week after the Big Sur Marathon on 5/3!  Yuck-o - this comes almost exactly a year to the day after my AN surgery last year. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Running for NF2
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:10:31 pm »
Laura

PLU-EEEEZE tell me you can join us the day before the Boston Marathon for the Apple Dumplin Brunch (http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11640.0) so we can load you up on marathon carbs, apple dumplins and healing hugglez?!!!!!!  We'd LOVE to have you join us, I think you know that.

Running for NF2! That is fantastic! Well done! Will check out the link!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »
Laura,

Best of luck during your spinal cord surgery. I am sure being so fit will be great for your recovery. I understand that you are nervous about the upcoming surgery but you are young and super fit and hopefully the tumor was discovered when it was still small, before it could do real damage. Chances are everything will be fine. Let us know ( when you can ) how you feel.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »
Laura -

good for you for deciding to do this.

And thanks so much for the link.  I'll be donating something soon.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 06:25:28 pm »
Awesome Laura.  I can't imagine running 2 marathons in 6 days. You are an inspiration. I'll also be showing my support with a donation. Thanks for doing this.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:26 pm »
yes, WOW.
i hope you can go to the brunch again. i wish i could go too!
2 marathons in 6 days. and the 2nd one... well, i think i'd freak if i even look at the elevation chart!
but good for you! i'll look up your donation page as well. so glad you're doing this! and glad you let everyone know at the forum what you're doing.

take care, laura and keep us posted!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!