Author Topic: Balance issues come and go  (Read 4057 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Balance issues come and go
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:34 pm »
Hi!  I didn't have balance issues before GK.  Started having some balance issues come up around four months after GK.  It was a gradual thing, not overnight.  Balance test said 71% of balance nerve had died.  I have periods where my balance is pretty good and then something will crop up.  Is it normal for balance problems to come and go?  Maybe the rest of my nerve is dying....possible???  Just curious because when I think everything is on track, boom here come the balance issues again.  The balance issues aren't terrible, just bothersome.  Thanks for any input.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Balance issues come and go
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »
I had translab July 2007 ... and still have balance changes fairly often ...

surroundings can toss me as well as if I have slept enough (which is a rare thing in it's self ) ... noisy places like the
basketball games at school would make me wobbly ...long halls , low light , stores with high ceilings , wind , and other
things that just won't come to mind ... and as you said , they are more bothersome than anything

some things that I have found to help me ...at school I walk near a wall in the halls , cover my hearing ear in wind , wear
a cap with a brim in stores that bother me , and when I get funny looks from people when I am wobbly I just smile
big at them and make them wonder ...

sorry not mush help but to let you know you are not alone
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

LisaP

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:27:55 pm »
Hi,

I have balance issues and I am still W&W,  I have noticed lately that being a passenager in a car that makes a lot of stops and goes makes me a little car sick at times.  This is new for me over the past month.   So when and if I have to seek treatment it will be interesting to see how my balance will be then.

LisaP  ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »
Thanks for the input.  A lot of what both of you described fits my situation.  I did vestibular therapy for a while, and it was helpful, but it made me sick after a session and after doing the home exercises.  I have stopped going for a while to see if things will get better on their own.  My AN doc said in time the balance issues would get better especially if the whole nerve would just go ahead and die so the other one can take over.  Guess both nerves are fighting each other right now.  Lisa P., my AN doc said there is about a 15-20% chance that the radiation would compromise my balance nerve.  Maybe someone else can confirm this info.  I have good hearing and no facial issues so this is a positive.  I get angry at this AN a lot, but I guess it is normal to feel this way sometimes.  Maybe as time passes I will have less anger....especially if the stupid thing dies or stops growing.  Radiation is a waiting game, and it is hard on me because I want results "NOW"!!!  Take care everyone.  This a a process for sure!

Nancy :o
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs