Author Topic: 21 month old son and BAHA  (Read 3011 times)

miriam

21 month old son and BAHA
« on: March 26, 2010, 02:39:01 pm »
hello
my son was fitted a BAHA softband when he was 13 months old, he is now 21 months and was wondering how long it would take for a child to catch up on his speech. He has mix hearing loss mild sensoneurial and moderate on the highest frequency they suspect
he has been using the Divino but they will get him a Intenso in a coupld of weeks time just in case
he seemed to stay quite for long periods of time and now he is just starting to babble more and make more sounds.
I would love to hear of anyone with a similar experience

M.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 21 month old son and BAHA
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:20:47 pm »
Miriam ~

Welcome. 

I'm pleased to learn that your son's hearing (and speaking) is helped by the BAHA device but I believe that your question is beyond the scope of our members and best answered by your pediatrician.  However, if any of our members have had a similar experience, I'm sure they'll respond.  I would assume that at some point in the future, testing by a speech-language pathologist would be helpful for ascertaining your sons speech-related needs.  I would guess that being verbal around him as much as possible would be a good idea, but I have no real expertise on this issue.

I trust that the BAHA device will continue to help your son and that, with your assistance, he'll develop a very satisfactory speaking ability as he grows.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:55:21 pm »
Hi Miriam,

Here is a link to a  terrific site that might be more helpful to you. It is for BAHA users and there is also a section just for parents of children with BAHA.

http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi

Lisa :)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:58:13 pm by Sefra22 »
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:41:15 pm »
Hi, Miriam.

I don't know the answer to your question, since I got my BAHA when I was 46 years old.

A great discussion forum where you'll find lots of people with BAHAs and Cochlear Implants is www.cochlearcommunity.com 

Lots of members of this community are parents of children with BAHAs and CIs and membership is free.

The main website for Cochlear www.cochlearamericas.com is another wonderful resource.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways