Author Topic: Radiation can be repeated, Can't it?  (Read 1762 times)

john twoffer

• Acoustic Neuroma Foundation
Radiation can be repeated, Can't it?
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:48:28 pm »
I have heard of GK being repeated 2 or 3 times for acoustic neuroma at the San Diego Gamma Knife center. And, it successfully avoiding the side effects of surgery in a few cases. There was no facial nerve damage. But, I had fractionated stereotactic radiosurgery (FSR) in 2000 that may be failing. The tumor may be growing. I have heard of only one case of FSR done twice and it caused terrible facial nerve damage. Has anyone had FSR followed by GK for a small AN? Surgery is not possible for health reasons. Some people try to say radiation is radiation is radiation, but that is not true, accuracy, doses and toxicities are different The GK repeated 2 or even 3 times is apparently safer than surgery once.
ANYONE HAD REPEAT RADIATION IN ANY FORM? I REALLY WANT TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD RADIATION TWICE.
Acoustic Neuroma and Cyst in my head.
I volunteer at:
www.AcousticNeuromaFoundation.org

shoegirl

Re: Radiation can be repeated, Can't it?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 04:01:38 pm »
Hi John,

I hope you get some replies.  I haven't heard of anyone.  I do have a suggestion, try posting on the cyberknife support group site.  It is for CK but the doctors are awesome and I bet they will share info even though your question is re: GK.  Just a suggestion.  There are a few doctors who respond to posts - so perhaps they have heard of some cases?

www.cyberknifesupport.org

Good Luck - hope you get some answers!  Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

shoegirl

Re: Radiation can be repeated, Can't it?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:04:19 pm »
Another thought, have you read through the patient stories on the AN Archive?  www.anarchive.org - some patients are open to being contacted.
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ