Author Topic: New Surgery Date  (Read 1214 times)

knakag01

New Surgery Date
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »
Well, I just received a call this morning from Stanford telling me that Dr.Jackler is not going to be in town now on the day of my surgery. I was originally having translab on May 5th, then it was changed to May 6th, and now will be on May 19th. I was a little frustrated as I had already made all the arrangements for the May 6th date (so did my family and job). Luckily, we were able to change hotel accommodations (we found a phenomenal deal so I was worried we would lose it) without issue.

I am a bit concerned that this is going to happen again. Is this common, since the surgery is not considered urgent? I work in education, and July/August is our busiest time of year so pushing it back any further would not work well for me.

I know this isn't a big deal, I'm just one of those people who likes to make a plan and stick to it. Plan interuptions cause me a little anxiety, so I know I just need a minute to adjust to the new plan. Thanks for letting me vent!

Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New Surgery Date
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »
Kim ~

Venting is allowed here.  :)

I'm sorry to learn that circumstances forced you to change your surgery date and have to rearrange your schedule.  I can empathize with your anxiety because I'm a planner too, and I get anxious when I have to re-adjust my plans.  However, I don't believe this kind of sudden re-scheduling is a common occurrence because most surgeons are planners, too.  However, stuff happens, even to doctors, and we all have to deal with it.  My neurosurgeon had to go out of town (to a medical seminar - he was a speaker) the day after he performed my surgery.  He was very apologetic but his able assistant, also a neurosurgeon, took over - and it wasn't a problem.   I'm sure the week delay won't be a problem for you. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:24:21 pm »
Kim,

I know a little about the education system (at least here in Houston) so I can empathize with your frustration about having a plan and keeping to it.  Unfortunately, most AN treatments are not life threatening and, as you said, not urgent so changing the date isn't uncommon.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's typical, but it's not unheard of for it to be rescheduled because something else came up.

It sounds strange that you don't want to postpone BRAIN SURGERY any longer becuse it might interfere with something else, but I understand where you're coming from..

It very likely won't be changed again, but you should have at the back of your mind about what you're going to do if it does change again... After you plan a surgery date, very much is out of our control about timing, recovery, etc..  If you can, force yourself into the mode of adapting with the changes because the reality of it is we don't have a lot of control over that.  Being in education, you also understand that sometimes things just change and the best you can do is roll with it and adapt the best you can.

FYI, come here to vent anytime you want..  Lord knows I've vented on here enough.  ;)

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

knakag01

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:27:15 pm »
Thanks guys! I am so appreciative of this site and all of you supportive folks on here.

Looking at the positive side, it does give me some additional time to get things in order at work. The new surgery date is also far enough away from my Maui vacation that I won't be worrying while I'm there. Always a silver lining!

Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)