Author Topic: insurance  (Read 4205 times)

zhengcw

insurance
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:00:26 am »
Hi, everyone,

I don't have medical insurance now, and I plan to enroll in coming year. There will be any problem because of this existing AN - they will not cover any further check, MRI..?

Thanks,

Chiwen

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »
Chiwen - unfortunately, most insurance companies here in the US will not cover what they call "pre-existing" conditions.  The best thing would be to check with the individual insurance company as to what sort of exclusions they have.  There are some situations where a pre-existing condition might be covered if the patient has gone a certain period of time with no treatment.  Its a bit murky, I am afraid.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »
Chiwen ~

The always-astute Debbi is entirely correct regarding medical insurance usually refusing to cover a medical problem that existed prior to the issuance of the policy.

Medical insurance companies view your ongoing condition (in your case, an acoustic neuroma) as something you brought with you, as it were, not something that happened while you were insured. Its like buying an automobile collision policy and expecting the insurer to pay for your car's dented fender resulting from an accident that happened last year, while you were uninsured.  This is not entirely unreasonable on their part.  We don't take out fire insurance on our home after we've had a fire and then expect the insurance company to pay for the prior damage. The same logic applies to medical insurance.  However, there are exceptions and they are worth checking out.   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
Chiwen -

Debbi is right, but I'm thinking you are in Canada and maybe insurance there is different.

If you have to fill out any type of application for the new insurance coverage, it's very important to tell them that you have been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma.  Although it's very tempting to "forget" to mention that, if you don't disclose it on your application it's grounds for an insurance company to deny benefits based on the premise that you mislead them. Generally you sign a statement that says you told them the truth about everything pertaining to your medical history; don't leave out important details.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:18 pm »
The insurance might also read that there is a certain period of waiting before the existing condition will be treated. 

I read that in my new health insurance booklet.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode