Author Topic: Transear and glasses  (Read 7588 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Transear and glasses
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »
Thanks for your reply.   I've been looking for a bone conduction non surgical alternative and been wondering about the fit and comfort.   You've had a great audiologist to fit you.   Did your doctor get involved or did your audiologist do all the work?

I am hopeful that this will work out.   Also, it is said that the Trans Ear had a Higher frequency range than the BAHA so that is also a benefit.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »
My thought here:   might be getting used to the transear would almost  be like when having to start wearing glasses.  You need to get used to them.   Same as like some types of shoes...they may need to be broke in.

Mei Mei,
One good thing if you go Transear is they have at least a minimum of 30 day money back (product only, not audio & offices fees).    So almost seems like you have nothing to lose if trying it.

The Transear is spreading her extremely slowly in Michigan, but there is plenty in regards to the BAHA knowledge already.   

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »
I can't speak to the comfort level (short and long term) because I don't use TransEar..  But, I can tell you that there is only a "device" on one side...  It works the same way that BAHA does (bone conduction to the other side) however it achieves that through a tight inner canal "device" in your bad ear and uses that bone conduction made with the tight fit in the ear canal...

There is not a wee piece in the canal because of that tight-fit thing in the ear..  However, there is a part of that same device that is Over-The-Ear (OTE) so it rests on the back of your ear..

Make sense?

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »
Donna, this might help. Go here: http://www.transear.com/?BISKIT=3483619571&CONTEXT=cat&cat=22#appearance for a picture.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 06:45:04 pm »
I wear the TransEar from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed.  Unless I specifically think about it, I don't even noticed it. Mine is very comfortable.

Jean

Hi Jean, Mei Mei pointed me in your direction.....you are from the U.P. of Michigan.  Where did you go for your TransEar?
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 12:55:49 pm »
Yup, the pictrure from Sara gives a really good idea of what it looks like.  Just keep in mind, what's showing it what would go on your bad ear..  There is nothing on the good ear like you get with CROS or Bi-CROS aids.  The OTE part is somewhat like a hearing aid in that it picks up the sounds and transmits them via the tube into the part in the ear..  That part gets the sounds and thru bone conduction it "sends" them over to your good side's cochlea so you can "hear" it..

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 02:54:55 pm »
Well Donnalynn, I think that a thick skull would just give you more bone for better conduction!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 10:16:36 am »
TransEar and CROS work under entirely different principles, so I wouldn't say that one would not work for you if the other did not.  I tend to think like Sara in that a thicker skull would make it work better in the bone conduction aspect.  I'm not a doctor or audiologist or a mechanical engineer for that matter, so all you can do it try..

An audiologist said that she had a 90-day money-back guarantee on TransEar... If it didn't work for me in the first 90 days, then I could return it for my money back.

Regards,
Brian

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »
I had the Phonak brand CROS behind the ear hearing aids for several months, but there is a constant interference problem that they have not been able to fix, so I had to give them up. They worked for a month and then I sent them back for fixing. They worked for 2 months and I sent them back for fixing. They finally admitted that it has been a problem for years that they haven't figured out. Ridiculous!

I basically liked the wireless CROS system, because I could hear much better with them. I did hear momentary interference from different sources, but overall I was used to them. It is inherent in the wireless technology to pick up sound waves from other places in this age of technology. The piece of plastic/rubber that goes into the good ear is very small and pliable and has holes in it, so it did not affect hearing regular sound for the good ear. After my ears got used to having something hanging on the back of them, they were not uncomfortable. I had to buy bigger winter hats because there was added bulk behind my ears. No problem with glasses or baseball hats.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.