Author Topic: Transear and glasses  (Read 7589 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Transear and glasses
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:44:04 am »
I'm going back to the ENT for my 6 month post-op appointment this week and intend to ask about Transear while I'm there. SSD didn't matter so much when I was at home but it can sometimes be a problem at work when I can't always control someone being on my 'good' side. BAHA is out for me because I reeeeally don't want anymore surgery or anything permanent.

My concern with the Transear is, though, that I wear glasses, and that seems like an awful lot to have on an ear.
Any experiences / tips on this?
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

mandy721

Re: Transear and glasses
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:20:07 pm »
Ken wears his CROS aids infrequently, but I don't recall him mentioning that it was a problem with his glasses.  When he gets home I will ask him about the glasses and the CROSS.  He also will not consider anymore surgery and doesn't want a peg implanted in his head.  He, like you, had a difficult recovery and the idea of a BAHA implant makes him shudder.  I am eagerly following the reports about the Sound Bite and hope it the new trials are successful.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:39:32 pm »
I wear both Transear and glasses. No problems whatsoever.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

mandy721

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »
Ken says that he is careful when putting on his glasses, as well as when combing his hair, so that he doesn't dislodge the hearing aids. 
Miranda

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:11:11 pm »
I have the TransEar.  While I don't wear glasses, I frequently wear sunglasses and have no problem whatsoever.  The TransEar is in the ear and it also had a behind the ear part.  There are technical terms, but I forget what they are.  If the TransEar is fitted correctly it seems to work very well.  A deep impression for making the mold is very important.  I've had mine for just over three years now and have been very happy with it. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:46:59 am »
Thanks everyone!
My ENT didn't even mention it as an option last time so I'm not sure he's too familiar with it  ??? I'll let you all know what he says and if I end up getting to try it! I don't want to do CROS either because I don't want anything in my good ear. No point in possibly muffling perfectly good hearing if I don't have to I figure.  :P

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:01:01 am »
That's a good option.  Right now at home I don't have a problem being SSD except going to the store and talking with the cashier or last weekend eating in a restaurant with my family.  My ENT booked an appt. to talk about the BAHA in June and I'm really apprehensive about having this implant permanently in my head.   It concerns me.   The Sound Bite by Sonnitus attracts me but it's not available and the technology is not up to speed.

I'll look forward to your experience with the Transear and what Dr. Francis has to say.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

mandy721

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:42 am »
Thanks everyone!
My ENT didn't even mention it as an option last time so I'm not sure he's too familiar with it  ??? I'll let you all know what he says and if I end up getting to try it! I don't want to do CROS either because I don't want anything in my good ear. No point in possibly muffling perfectly good hearing if I don't have to I figure.  :P

With Ken's Cross, there is a behind the ear piece for both ears and a very small piece that sits in both ears. I don't think it affects the hearing in the good ear.  The audiologist couldn't get the molds for the Trans Ear due to Ken's super sensitive ear canal, so he never got to try it. 

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »
I've been using a TransEar for 2 years and can't survive without my glasses.  Never been a problem.  The processor for the Transear does sit behind the ear, but it's attached via a flexible wire and doesn't interfere with the glasses.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 10:52:42 pm »
This is interesting to know.   I wear glasses too and have been researching options.

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:30 am »
Can any of you tell me how comfortable is the TransEar is to wear throughout the day?  Do you know it is there?  Does it hurt?   Is it a tight fit?   How does it feel?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:26 am »
Can any of you tell me how comfortable is the TransEar is to wear throughout the day?  Do you know it is there?  Does it hurt?   Is it a tight fit?   How does it feel?

Mei Mei

Most of the time I forget it's there.  It needs to fit snug and tight in the ear canal, but it shouldn't hurt.  When I do notice it, it's like one of those foam ear plugs.  At least, that's the sensation for me.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:46:32 am »
Thanks everyone for the info!
At the doctor's today I guess my question list was too long and Transear got pushed to the bottom so it was just a quick response. I guess my headaches, nausea, and returned imbalance got the prime 'doctors time' position. :P (You all know how that goes I'm sure..)
They encouraged the BAHA and were kind of like "well let us know when you're ready to try that out" and said they don't really do the Transear or even much of the CROS. So I might check audiologists nearby and see if anyone else does it.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 04:33:08 pm »
Not many audiologists or docs recommend the CROS these days.  The general consensus is that the TransEar and the BAHA are much better.

Just my experience,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »
I wear the TransEar from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed.  Unless I specifically think about it, I don't even noticed it. Mine is very comfortable.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD