Author Topic: FINALLY found a Doctor in Ontario - Dr. John Sinclair  (Read 6288 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
FINALLY found a Doctor in Ontario - Dr. John Sinclair
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:05:12 am »
Dr. John Sinclair,, he is an amazing man.  Along with his assistant Moira.  Located at the Ottawa Civic Campus Hospital.  It has taken me almost a year to find a doctor who understands what a vagal schwannoma actually is and does.  Who understands what cyberknife is.  Who listens and gives open opinions and options.  I have posted my visit with him on my blog on www.vagalschwannoma.com 
If you are from Ontario and looking for a doctor to handle your schwannoma, I cannot endorse Dr. Sinclair enough!
I'm finally on the road to not only physical but mental recovery as well.
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: FINALLY found a Doctor in Ontario - Dr. John Sinclair
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:54:00 am »
Congrats!  I'm glad to hear you found the doctor for you.

As we all know, that's sometimes a huge battle.

Recommendations and referrals make the schwannoma world go around.  This info. will be very helpful to others looking for a doctor in your area.

Thanks for sharing this,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
Excellent news, Rhonda. You must be relieved to at last have a doctor who gets it. It sounds like you have a plan now, and I hope it works out well for you. Best wishes on your scope and MRI!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
Hi, Rhonda ~

I was very pleased to open your thread and read that you've finally found the kind of physician (Dr. Sinclair) that you've been seeking.  I know the feeling - and I had only one unproductive doctor consultation before I found the 'right' doctor - for me.  I'm happy to join you in your conviction that you're now on the road to better physical and emotional heath.  You've certainly earned it!

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »
Congratulations!    It's half the battle to have someone on your team.   Now you can move forward knowing you know someone that truly has your interests at heart!
best wishes in your continuing care....
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

opp2

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:44:14 pm »
Rhonda, I am sooooo pleased for you, there are no words...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:07:33 am »
MAJOR congrats Rhonda. I know this road has been brutal, bumpy, head-spinning, etc for you. I'm so thrilled to hear this news. Now, let's just get it done, get you well and onward and upward! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 03:40:45 pm »
Rhonda,

it is good to know that there is a skilled doctor like this in the Eastern Ontario area. Also, from what I read in your blog he essentially confirmed what you had figured out from your  own research, this must  give you a lot more confidence on your path forward.

Best of luck
Marianna

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
Mri, Scope and doctor appointment
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:34:11 am »
YIPEE! 
Ottawa Hospital so far has amazed me and that is only with their staffing.
Since it is a 4 hour car ride for me, they have scheduled my appointments for April 8th:

MRI  11:30 (said will last only one hour)
ENT scoping of vocal cords  1:30  (in another building but in same location)
Dr. Sinclair visit 3:30 (to discuss scope findings and future proceedings)

I am sooo looking forward to this,,, it is almost like reading the end chapter of my life book because this is all I ever really wanted.  I just wanted some actual diagnostic care... not just to be sent home with no follow up for 2-3 years like Toronto did. 
I know, I know.. it's only the beginning of the book, but at least I'll now have TWO books to write... :)
Have a GREAT weekend!
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

sues1953

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:40:34 am »
Great news  ;D  I know that it feels great knowing you are on the right track.

Best of Luck to you.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:06:03 pm »
Great news my friend!!!  So glad that your care is here in Ontario also.  How has the head been lately and the throat? 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:57 am »
Back to my normal self.  Little pressure and discomfort.  Nothing I could not live with.  But it does come and go... :(
Just emailed a lady from Toronto that has just been diagnosed with an AN.  I'm hoping she calls me.  She has lost her hearing in one ear, is disorientated, dizzy and is afraid of the unknown.  Something we all go through.  Her friend told me her AN is so large they cannot operate and it has wrapped around things.  I am finding out more about it and have left her my number for her to call.  I gave her this sites web address!!!!   
Saw my first Robin today!!  Yipeee!
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 11:40:25 am »
Too funny I saw my first Robin today in the cherry tree behind my house.  Must of been male for the breast was a beautiful red.  I called my sister Robin in Florida and told her it was time to come home. 

Best of luck to the lady in Toronto.  Has she logged on to the forum yet?  So glad you are feeling better.  Today is a yucky day for me.  My head and face feel like I've done a round or two with Mohammad Alli.  Dam low pressure system that is sitting over Ontario and the rain, blah  :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games