Author Topic: University of Michigan Doctor - Steve Telian  (Read 20343 times)

iluuvpups

University of Michigan Doctor - Steve Telian
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:43:09 pm »
Hi.  i was just diagnosed with AN.  My tumor is 17.5 mm x 9 mm in dimension.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the doctors at the University of Michigan Hospitals?  In particular, Dr. Steve Telian.  I'm grateful for these forums as I'm learning a lot, although a lot of it scares the heck outta me!
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Mei Mei

Re: University of Michigan Doctor - Steve Telian
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:50 pm »
Hi!  I hate for you to use the word scared.  We all on this forum to support you and give you information and help you out.  Your tumor is still small and slow growing.  Gather your information here.   I'm not from Michigan, so can't answer your question.  I'm from Maryland and got four opinions:  one in New York, one at the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles which didn't requre me going to Los Angeles at all, just sending my CD of my MRI to the doctor that answered the phone when I called for information and I emailed by scanning the radiology report also.   The doctor's name was Rick Friedman...very well known and nice and thororugh, even called me up on the phone with a recommendation as to which surgery he would recommend.

Go to Dr. Telian and listen to him, find out how many surgeries he's done on AN patients and what he recommends for you,   then go gather some other opinions in your area so that you are knowledgeable and not scared....Remember:  Knowledge is POWER!!!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei   We're here for you!!!
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »
I see you are new to the forum and want to welcome you.   Are you from MI?  I'm from Ludington.  About middle of the state, right on Lake Michigan.

I tried a search above, his name does come up, so you may want to try that!!

Best wishes!!   Denise
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:02:14 pm by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

ken_robertson

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:14 pm »
I have heard good things about Dr. Telian from a patient of his.  I was planning on setting up an appointment to see Dr. Telian for a third opinion on my AN surgery, but because of various reasons I was unable to set up the appointment.  I wish I could give you more information.  The patient that I spoke to was very happy with U of M.

My first opinion was with Dr. Bojrab from Michigan Ear Institute.  My second opinion was from Dr. Monsel (his office was on Woodward in Bloomfield Hills, I think he did his surgeries at Sinai-Grace).
Right 1.5cm AN diagnosed 8/2009.  Translab  2/1/10 by Dr. Bojrab and Dr. Pieper at Providence Hospital, Novi, MI.  SSD, no facial paralysis, tumor gone.  Feeling great!

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »
I found Dr Telian when I googled him.    I thought the name was familiar and and looked and he spoke at our AN symposium along with a Dr Greg Thompson on hearing preservation with AN surgery this last summer.       I was at that session and was very imprressed with both of them.    Make sure you ask all questions to them as to you feeling comfortable with how many surgeries they have done if that is the route you go.            I wish you well!             I am a central Iowan but have a daughter who lives in Lansing and works for MSU so I have an MI interest.     We have made a few trips there.                I personally go to Univ of Iowa for my treatment.                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I met Dr. Telian @ the ANA Symposium this past August.  We stood next to each other in the buffett line at lunch and Dr. Richard Wiet introduced him to me. 

I think some other forumites met him also - Steve Gerrard comes to mind, and maybe Phyl.

From what I've heard Dr. Telian is a good doctor and Dr. Wiet - who is very well known in AN circles - seemed to think so also, from what I recall.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:34:15 pm »
Jan is right, I had breakfast with Dr. Telian on one of the symposium days.

If you are an ANA member, you can view a slide show of his presentation here:
http://www.anausa.org/members/pdfs/c1_hearing_preservation_surgery_steve_telian_md.pdf

His group has been doing middle fossa with high resolution MRIs and getting excellent results - 90% hearing preservation in their study group. I would let him work on me.  ;)

He is not a fan of radiation, however, so don't expect him to recommend that. If you are interested in radiation, you can always find a radiation oncologist to discuss it with.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Wenport

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:30 pm »
Hello, I am 8 months post-op and Dr Telian and Dr Thompson did my Translab surgery.  Very Very good doctors, pleased with my results.  I had some issues with nursing care at UofM but that can happen anywhere!!  Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Good luck and stay strong, you are not alone!!

Wendy :)
2.2 cm left AN diagnosed May 2009
Translab June 29,2009
Dr.Thompson/Telian University of Michigan
Post-op facial paralysis
SSD

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:29:30 am »
Hi.  i was just diagnosed with AN.  My tumor is 17.5 mm x 9 mm in dimension.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the doctors at the University of Michigan Hospitals?  In particular, Dr. Steve Telian.  I'm grateful for these forums as I'm learning a lot, although a lot of it scares the heck outta me!

Hi and welcome to our family!

I don't have any info on the U of Michigan physicians, but hopefully someone will.  I just wanted to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm glad you have found us.  The people here are amazing and will help you get through this journey in one piece!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:02:37 am »
I had the honour of meeting Dr. Telian at the ANA Symposium last summer in Chicago. As I cannot attest to him for AN treatment (I was treated in Boston), from listening to him speak, he's young, very personable, seems to know his stuff. You should be in terrific hands with him.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sues1953

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:36:27 am »
Hi

I live in MI and have heard of Dr. Telian, I didn't realize so many people actually met him in Chicago.  I was sent to Michigan Ear Institute after my diagnosis and saw Dr. LaRouere,very nice man.  He told me that he does about 40 to 50 AN surgeries a year.  I was under the impression that Dr. Telian has not done that many, of course he is younger.  My tumor is quite a bit larger than yours so you have more options and you should check out all of them.  If my tumor were smaller I would definitely check out radiation.  I also sent my MRI to House Ear Clinic and got two opinions for free.

I think i may seek a fourth opinion from Dr. Telian.  I will let you know and you do the same  :)

Thanks for your post.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 08:51:02 am »
if either of you meet Dr. Telian, please tell him Phyllis from the Symposium says hi.....

... and both of your perspectives of meeting him will be terrific, if shared on the forums, if others (down the road) also want to inquire about him.  Your thoughts (after meeting him) will be helpful!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

iluuvpups

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:21:21 am »
Thank you to everyone for your replies.  I have a meeting set up with Dr. Telian for March 9.  I'll find out more about how many of these he's done then.  I'll certainly pass along all the well wishes from people on this forum.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:50 am »
The U of M hospital has an excellent reputation and has top-notch drs.  A friend of mine is an anesthesiologist with a head/neck surgery group there and he was an invaluable source of info for me.  You should be in good hands!  :)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

sues1953

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:53:57 pm »
Hey illuvpups

I have an appt. to see Dr. Telian on March 9th too.  What time is your appt?

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.