Author Topic: Tarsorrhaphy Removal  (Read 16128 times)

lori67

Re: Tarsorrhaphy Removal
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 09:22:26 am »
Todd -

Just a thought here, but wouldn't having your eye sewn shut also cause you to not be able to see out of that eye?   ;)  Sounds like having the eye opened would be a risk I'd be willing to take, rather than having it sewn shut for the rest of my life.

There are others here who have no sensation in their AN eye and do quite well (Kaybo, for one).  I have slight sensation, and you just learn how to manage it and protect it.  I'm sure a doctor who is recommending having the tarsorrhaphy removed would weigh the pros and cons and give the patient the information he needs to protect the eye afterwards. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ToddH

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 10:19:52 am »
Lori, you've got a good point! I guess I was thinking of a lateral tarsorrhaphy, where you can still see out, but vision is restricted. If the eye is completely sewn shut, then it does make sense... and each person must make their own decision with the doctor's recommendations anyway. Sometimes I'm seeing things as too black and white.
Appreciate your feedback!  :-[

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01:02 am »
Lori,

My AN effected eye is sown shut halfway across; a lateral Tarsorrhaphy. You're right, its much better to have even partial sight than none at all. I've been there, having worn an eye patch for months after surgery. I have full sensation in my bum eye. I say that with confidence because I can feel everything going on in there...touch, tears, the soothing feeling of a load of PM Refresh being applied and so on.

This is my emotional stance on the subject. Having an eye sown shut, halfway or otherwise, impacts your appearance tremendously; no great secret. Remember when we were kids and would stare at the "different" person walking toward us in the mall. That's different person is you, me and everyone else living with a noticeable physical difference / disability, AN related or otherwise. I can easily understand how a young man like JC's son would opt to have the Tarsorrhaphy reversed. Todd's point is certainly valid though, especially if eyelid function issues related to nerve traumatization haven't self resolved and the eye will be left exposed. 

I fear I'll be left with a bum eye for the rest of my life. Fear is probably not a good description. Disappointment better describes how I feel. The way I figure it, I'm a 52 year old man. It's not like I have to worry about impressing anyone by my appearance.

I say let the young guy have the reversal on strict advisement that he's doing so against medical advise if thats actually the case. Should he fail to properly care for the eye, he should know that irreversible damage could result. Sorry, long way to a short response...its lunch time, I had time to kill.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

jchughes68

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 08:44:43 pm »
Hi Everyone, I am FINALLY getting back to the forum.  I had my tarrsorhaphy removed and a gold weight inserted May 13 in Minneapolis by Dr. Andrew Harrison.  I am SO glad I finally did it.  In hindsight (20/20 - smile) I should have had it done a year ago but personally just couldn't face another "surgery" until now.  However, it really wasn't a surgery to speak of - at least compared to the other one!  The entire procedure took 20 minutes!!!  I was not asleep.  I could hear everyone talking.  I just didn't care and it was pain free.  The first few days my eye was VERY sore and black and blue and swollen.  The tarrsorhaphy removal was definitely the most painful afterward.  It has been two weeks now and it is still somewhat sore.  I never even noticed the gold weight part of it except it is wonderful to be able to close my eye now.  I have not taped it shut since the day of the surgery.  I still have dryness but continue to use drops, gel and Refresh PM but my eye is closed during the night now.  I can also blink but definitely not as well as my good eye.  It is wonderful to have the vision again though.  My AN eye is definitely smaller looking than my good eye, but that is fine w/me.  As others have stressed - it is totally a personal decision and what is right for one person may not be right for another.  Thanks again to all of you who wrote after my initial post!! 
4 x 3 x 3 cm AN, left side
Surgery 9-15-08 at Abbott NW in Minneapolis
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 02:45:08 pm »
Chris ~

I was delighted to see your post and learn that you've had the the tarrsorhaphy removed and a gold weight inserted, with great results!  Thanks for the update.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.