Author Topic: Tarsorrhaphy Removal  (Read 16131 times)

jchughes68

Tarsorrhaphy Removal
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:02:35 pm »
I am scheduled to have the tarsorrhaphy removed and a gold weight put in.  I am almost 18 months post-op.  I am very interested to know anyone's experience w/the tarsorrhaphy removal and procedure.
4 x 3 x 3 cm AN, left side
Surgery 9-15-08 at Abbott NW in Minneapolis
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Tarsorrhaphy Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »
JC -

I believe Lori (lori67) had a tarsorrhaphy.  I'll PM her this post and hopefully she'll weigh in with her experience.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:37:10 pm »
Hi JC.

I had a lateral tarsorrhaphy that I have not had removed yet.  I just have very little of the outer corner of my eye stitched, so if you aren't an eye doctor, you might not notice.  I'm not sure if yours is a lateral or more than that.

So, since I haven't had mine un-done yet, I don't have any words of wisdom to offer, but now I know you'll be able to offer me some!  Sorry I couldn't be or more help.
Let us know how it goes!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:58:51 am »
Someone I know from the Forum had the removal.

Perhaps it was Debbie (aka oHIo).  I'll have to see if she's around and can help with this topic.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jchughes68

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »
Jan and Lori,

Thank you both soo much for responding!!  As you can see, I am new at this forum and it already has been so informative!!  Chris
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

briansmome

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:55:42 pm »
I haven't had mine removed; I am still unable to use the left side of my face at all. I've technically had two as they did a 'small' one initially, then did some more status post corneal transplant. I hope you, or anyone in this position, is able to share the experience. I'd love to hear about.
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

jchughes68

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »
I am scheduled to have a gold weight implant and tarsorrhaphy removal (3 stitches) on May 13 in Minneapolis.  I will write after that as soon as I can and let you know.  Chris
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

oHIo

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
My doctor was conservative and only "snipped" a little open at a time until I had my eye fully opened (about 50% of my eye was still shut, but it was initially around 80%) the end of last March.  I was very fortunate that I had my blink back.  I did not have to have a gold weight.
My eye is still dry and (I think) it looks a little different than the other one, but most people tell me they do not know I have some facial paralysis. 

My tarsorrhaphy removal was done in the office under a local.  The doctor just took his special little scissors and snipped it open.  It was sore for a few days but not terribly, and I kept it well lubricated.  You will need to separate your eyelids several times an hour to keep them from growing back together on the edge.  My doctor said the area tends to try to stick together and create a "web" (almost like webbed feet on a duck).  I had that issue when only a few mm was snipped open, but not with the total opening.  I was *so* happy to be able to see out of my eye without having to cock my head sideways.  Between the positioning for my surgery and holding my head sideways to try and see out of the small opening in my eylids, my neck took a beating.  It still bothers me. 

Good luck on your removal and the gold weight.  If you need any more information, let me know.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 11:51:00 am »
Thanks for showing up, Debbie.

Good to see you,

Jan

oHIo

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »
I didn't leave Jan...just got busy with life.  ;)   Getting ready to celebrate my 2 year AN removal on the 20th and quite honestly, didn't realize it until someone asked me the other day how long it had been.  I guess it just goes to show that in spite of many complications, life goes on. 

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:23:10 pm »
You  might also check with moe (Maureen) I think she has had one reversed.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

jchughes68

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 11:10:39 pm »
Thank you - everyone!   Chris
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

dust340

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:48:34 pm »
Hey all,
   My son is wanting a have his tarsorrhaphy removed. We go tomorrow to Emory. Last year the doctor said it was up to him but he suggested overwise. It was done to protect the cornea.
   He is 23 ears old and 2 years post op.  He had a large tumor 3x3.5x3 removed at Emory in Atlanta. The team was great - Drs. Olson and Maddox.  Dr. Crocker was the Radiation Oncologist.

What are your thoughts or history on having this done?   There is no sensation in this eye.

Thanks,
Will
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:12:45 am by dust340 »

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:16:43 am »
I've had both, a Gold Weight Implant that failed miserably; extruded through the eyelid and had to be removed. I've been living comfortably with a Tarsorrhaphy for several months now and can't wait for the day that it too is reversed.  Please post about the reversal experience, I'd be interested to know how that goes for you.

Take Care and best wishes that the Gold Weight Implant does the trick!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

ToddH

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:42:46 am »
Will, you said your son is have the tarsorrhaphy removed, but how will he protect his eye? Loss of sensation in the eye is extremely dangerous, because he can't feel a speck of dust, an eyelash in it, or when it is dry.  I have had patients in the past who lost vision in their eye due to corneal scarring because of a lack of sensation, this despite efforts to keep it lubed.
PS. Loss of sensation in the eye is not a common side effect after AN removal or RadRx, but it does happen rarely, due to damage to the trigeminal nerve (Cranial Nerve V).
Todd