Author Topic: staggering...taking a poll  (Read 15166 times)

tenai98

Re: staggering...taking a poll
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:51:35 am »
now i'm wondering if being right/left handed has anything to do with our staggering...I'm right handed, an left, and stagger mostly to the right..I do occasionally stagger left, but mostly right.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:28 am »
AN on the left, and preop staggered to the right. Postop kind of fell/staggered more to the left but that was more of a left sided weakness thing than a balance thing.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 08:12:00 am »
When I was first developing symptoms related to balance, the initial physician (an ENT specializing in balance) had me stand with my feet together and eyes closed.  He had his hands on either side of me and when I immediately fell to one side, his response (after further testing) was "You will fall to the side of the affected ear."  (All of this was before there was any discussion of a possible AN.)

However, I am beginning to think/wonder if after treatment for an AN, the opposite side assumes all vestibular function, does your brain automatically compensate by trying to move your body to the non-AN side.  Hmmmmmm.

In my case I actually stagger both ways (with or without drinking  ::)), but primarily to the left so ......

Left AN, right-handed.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

staypoz

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 12:39:24 pm »
Pre-op, the docs had me do the same test Nancy described and when they told me to open my eyes, I was totally disoriented because I had done a three-quarter turn.  Now I mostly stagger right (right AN) and backward.  Wish that were dancing backward (in high heels) a la Ginger Rogers instead! 

staypoz

cin605

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 01:07:41 pm »
AN was on the right,stagger to right,bump walls to the right before it was out i clipped two cars on the right,took out my mirrors on passengers side vehicle both times(pretty scarey looking back n knowing what i know now)
Whats wierd is some days i close my eyes n march in place ......i will rotate to the right some days i do this n rotate to the left??
Maybe my brain is picking the good side of the day!or....i am so confused i do not know which way to go?? ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Kaybee

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 03:13:07 pm »
Left sided AN...clip walls on left.  I haven't staggered too much recently (but when I did post surgery, I staggered every which way).  I notice that when I walk and talk with a person to the left of me, I veer way left.  Wish I would have read this yesterday as I saw my vestibular therapist last night. 
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 01:04:41 pm »
Facial Neuroma on the left, left handed and I stagger to the right.  I clip walls, door frames, door jams and anything thing that gets in my way on the right.  The right side of my body is always black and blue.  Now I have been going for vestibular training and I cannot turn full circle from left to right without becoming nauseous. 

I just discovered I also have a terrible time walking in the tube thing that connects the airplane to the airport.  I had to cover my eyes at the entrance of the airplane, the stewardess guided me forward and my husband held my shoulders.  I was a lovely shade of green when I finally sat in my seat.  I guess my balance is really way off. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »
I normally stagger or tip over to the right, or in my case, my right leg malfunctions..my an is left side.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 10:47:04 pm »
My AN was on the left and I tend to stagger to the right more often than not...occasionally both sides though.....
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »

according to Nancy test I am all messed up  :o... I ended up going backward and to the left 

AN was on right and I tend to pull left when tired but for most part wobble all over the place ... if
walking with someone I tend to go left as I keep people to the left ...maybe part of that is my hearing ear
pulling me closer to their voice ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

tenai98

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 02:10:29 pm »
Well I kind of tallied up the results:
AN left/stagger right  X7
AN left/stagger left X4
AN right/stagger/left X4
AN right/stagger right X 3
those who stagger both ways X3
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

LisaP

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »
My AN is on my right side and I stagger to the right mostly.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »
AN on the left, and I stagger both ways....about equal. ???
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Vtech

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:54 pm »
Mine is on the left and i stagger or am pulled to the left.
Age: 38,  Possible 3.5 cm neuroma found May 2010. waiting on second MRI to conclude either way . "Prey for the dead, but fight like hell for the living." (Mother Jones)

wcrimi

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 09:00:17 pm »
Mine is on the left and I tend to stagger left, but really my stagger is more correlated to the way I turn my head.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move