Author Topic: Anyone have Ins. issues with SBI?  (Read 22282 times)

sues1953

Re: Anyone have Ins. issues with SBI?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 03:19:44 pm »
Sorry Denise :-[  I don't feel I'm working at full capacity these days.  Thanks for the correction and the support  :-*

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

sues1953

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 03:36:19 pm »
Thanks Phyl I have read most of Laura's posts and I know that she was recently diagnosed NF2.  I thought I had sent her a PM asking what she meant by the "nightmare" that SBI turned into but I can't find it in my posts.  I think it had to do with insurance not her surgery.  I will PM her again.

Sue in Michigan
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:39:04 pm »
Thanks Phyl I have read most of Laura's posts and I know that she was recently diagnosed NF2.  I thought I had sent her a PM asking what she meant by the "nightmare" that SBI turned into but I can't find it in my posts.  I think it had to do with insurance not her surgery.  I will PM her again.

Sue in Michigan

Noted Sue... thanks. I/we know Laura has had a most difficult time in the past months (and now with her NF2 diagnosis), so if you don't hear back from her fairly soon, let me know.... ok? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sues1953

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:42 am »
OK Phyl, will do.  I know that she is going through an awful time right now.  Do you think it would be appropriate for me to contact Pooter, that's who she was directing the "Nightmare experience with SBI" post to?  I know I am very impatient these days but everything seems to move sooooo slow.  I was trying to get more information about Ins. and what my cost is going to be before I canceled my March 15th surgery with MEI.  I had to cancel yesterday because my pre op testing was starting today.

I have been waiting and waiting for Roxy (Clinical Program Director for SBI) to cal me back since last week.  Very busy I guess  ::).  I just feel I should be moving forward at least a little every day.

Thanks so much.

Sue in Michigan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:38:37 pm »
Sue -

this might be the link you are looking for http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8949.0

It talks about SBI and out of network coverage.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 02:33:04 pm »
Thanks Jan I have read that thread and that's when I started pursuing Steve (seal) his insurance had approved him and 2 weeks before the surgery changed their minds   ::).  As far as I could tell he did not get to have his surgery at SBI.  Laura (allegro17) had the same insurance as Steve, had her surgery and then was stuck with a huge mess that she still battles today. 

I just finished talking to Roxy at SBI and she suggested I change my insurance from an HMO to a PPO.  I never thought of that because I thought it would be considered a preexisting condition.  She told me that with group insurance I can change the only catch is I will have to wait until Oct. 1 because that's the open enrollment time.  If I can wait the only thing I have to pay would be out of pocket max probably 500 or 1K.  A drop in the bucket compared to the 160K price she quoted me.

Next problem....can I wait that long  :-\.  I have a phone consult scheduled for 3/4 so when I call to cancel that I will ask if Shahianan can make an educated call on that.  He has all my info there.  My tumor is large but who knows what rate it is growing.  My symptoms are few but It seems like they are getting a little worse.  Could be my imagination  ::).

I am certainly considering this.

Thanks All

Sue in Michigan

jerseygirl

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 03:25:19 pm »
Hi, Sue,

I had surgery at SBI and here is my insurance story. When I realized I needed to do something about my AN regrowth (I was W&W for 9 years before that), I had HMO. There were 3 top neurosurgeons available through this HMO in NYC area. After talking to them, I realized that the situation was very difficult and I needed special expertise. I decided to go to House which is out of state and my HMO obviously does not cover. Meanwhile, I was researching SBI and all I could find about endoscopic AN removal. So, either way, I needed to travel to CA for surgery.

At the end of 2006, I changed to Aetna PPO during the open enrollment period. The surgery was now considered out of network (covered at 70% ), the hospital where Dr. Sh operates and the House - in network, covered at 100%. The insurance does not reimburse  for travel, lodging and food.

I decided on SBI, my neurologist got a precertification for surgery from insurance company and I had my surgery on June 27, 2007. A few days after coming home, there was a huge article in a local newspaper about Aetna and how it was short-changing consumers. There were two issues: 1) the "reasonable and customary" rate for determination of out of network benefits was laughably low and 2)  patient was stuck paying for out-of-network physicians when they had no choice in in-network hospitals, like anesthesiologist, radiologist, pathologist, etc.

Before long, the bills started arriving and they were for thousands of dollars from people I have never even seen. Dealing with insurance company took many unpleasant months and it was a full time job. The bottom line was that I paid only $20K that Dr. Sh demanded from a patient if insurance does not pay the entire amount as well as travel costs to CA. This is just too scary to mention the amount I would have to pay had I not battled the insurance company. The expenses for surgery as well as travel for it, by the way, are considered incurred medical expenses for tax purposes. I wrote them off taxes that year.

The amount the insurance paid plus my $20K was still a lot less than what Dr. Sh charges for surgery but he accepted that amount as a full payment and sent me a letter. I was lucky I had the money to pay, otherwise the cheapest way to have surgery would have been through HMO doctors which did not have the necessary expertise. So, just because you are changing to PPO from HMO, don't assume that everything is covered. The insurance company has a myriad way to deny you benefits. They posted huge profits for last year, didn't they?

Good luck!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »
Sue ~

I've been following your insurance travails (along with many others, I'm sure) and I admire your tenacity and resolute attitude in finding the best and most affordable treatment.  

I just want to join Phyl (in another thread) and Eve (in this one) in cautioning you about 'jumping' from an HMO to a PPO insurance plan in the hopes of getting 'out of network' coverage for endoscopic surgery at SBI.  As Phyl suggested, research this carefully and if an insurance company representative tells you something is (or isn't) covered, get their name and telephone extension number 'for future reference'.  I mention this because I've had an insurance company rep tell me one thing, I call back and the next rep (you never seem to get the same person) says that is wrong and usually act as if you made it up.  Hence, the need to document the date and time you call, name of representative and their phone extension.  Never be shy about asking for a supervisor if the phone rep seems uncooperative, poorly informed or just surly.  I might add that, logically, the staff at SBI are hoping to obtain your 'business' so they will steer you in a direction that ultimately benefits their institution in terms of securing payment for a surgery, which, as you know, is a substantial amount of money.  That isn't necessary devious or wrong, just something to keep in mind when their representative cheerfully advises you to change insurance plans so that their facility will be paid for your planned surgery.  

Symptoms can be deceiving and I can't comment on whether waiting another 8 months is medically feasible in your case.  Only another MRI scan could determine if your AN is actually growing. I don't envy you this dilemma but I do admire how you're attempting to deal with it.  I wish you complete success in your quest for the most efficacious treatment approach at a cost you can reasonably bear.  

Jim
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:07:11 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »
I'd check out this "jumping" thing more also.

Something just doesn't sound right about it. 

I'm hopeful it's the solution you are seeking, but I'm with Jim and Phyl here.

Proceeded with caution.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 01:28:35 pm »
Thanks Jim,Jan &Phyl,

Point taken, although I feel a little disappointed.  I will check it out as soon as I feel better (came down with the flu)  >:(.  I will let you all know of course what I find out.

Best to all

Sue in Misery  :D, I mean Michigan

Mei Mei

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »
Sue,  Go with your gut and keep appealing your insurance with all the paperwork and documentation you can muster up.  You really need SBI with the size tumor you have.  You don't want to have the facial paralysis or the hearing loss if possible.  Go in there fighting.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 12:03:02 am »
You really need SBI with the size tumor you have.  You don't want to have the facial paralysis or the hearing loss if possible. 

Surgery @ SBI does not - and will not - guarantee no facial paralysis and/or hearing loss.

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 06:36:18 am »
You really need SBI with the size tumor you have.  You don't want to have the facial paralysis or the hearing loss if possible. 

Surgery @ SBI does not - and will not - guarantee no facial paralysis and/or hearing loss.

Jan

Hi Mei Mei

Jan's point is to also be taken.  As with any medical procedure (regardless if AN, GYN, etc), there are risks involved with all medical procedures and it's up to each and every one of us to weigh out all risks involved for our own particular AN journey...  Facial Paralysis, hearing loss, etc prevention cannot be guaranteed by any AN treating facility, including AN treatment options offered at SBI, HEI, Stanford, Barrows, MGH, etc., regardless if surgical or radio.  If any treating facility/doc notes a "guarantee", I would highly suggest running in the opposite direction.

Thanks.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mei Mei

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:28 am »
Point well taken,  thanks Phyl.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

sues1953

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:54 am »
Hi all,

I do understand that SBI gives no guarantees my reason in wanting minimally invasive surgery is just that, not as invasive therefore recovery time and hopefully complications are less.  That being said I have pursued that avenue to exhaustion.  I don't think that I can afford the price that they charge unless my Insurance will cover it.  I am still checking out the PPO thing but really don't think I can wait 8 months for surgery.

We had a death in the family (hubbies Dad) so it forced me to take a small break from my dilemma.  I canceled the 750.00 consult with Shahanian and have decided to consult with Dr. Telian at U of M.  I am so much more knowledgeable than I was when I consulted with Michigan Ear Clinic, thanks to all of you  :)  I will have a lot more questions, including waiting 8 months.  Although I know, because we have no idea how fast this thing is growing, it probably won't be advisable.

Then I will decide who will do the surgery and when  :-\. Do you guys think it's OK to call MEI and ask them which Dr. does the most AN surgeries with the least complications, or the best success?  Just how would I word that ?

Thanks so much for all your help.  (Jan I PMed you last week did you get it  ???)

Sue in Michigan