Author Topic: Incision scar scabbed up again?  (Read 16450 times)

Wwoodian

Incision scar scabbed up again?
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:21:49 am »
My incision healed very nicely and pretty quickly.  Than at about 9 weeks it became scabbed up again--just as bad as before.  I went back to House and Dr. Friedman told me that it was the internal stitches dissolving and causing me problems.  It has been like this for about 3 weeks now.  He said that if it didn't get better after two months then to come back.  Does this seem crazy to anyone else??  I saw the other post about a sore incision, but since that was caused by a massage, I think it is different.  Did this happen to anyone else?  Thanks!
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Incision scar scabbed up again?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »
This does sound crazy to me, but I'm not a doctor - plus I know Dr. Friedman is an excellent one.

I'd follow his advice and schedule an appt.

Good luck; please keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »
You are very wise to be vigilant and bring this to your surgeon's attention.  Be sure to watch it for any drainage that may seep out.  This could be a sign of infection, which you will want to have treated right away.  I've had my share of them - very frustrating, but they can be cleared up so keep a watchful eye!!  You don't want to make any assumptions about your incision and the healing process.  Infections are very rare, though, so that's a good thing!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:45:02 am »
Some of us just have a problem with the stitches that are supposed to dissolve on their own.  Mine don't and eventually, they work their way out through the skin and I have to pull them out.  But I've never had them cause the incision to scab over like you describe.  Have you ever had this type of stitches before?  You may be allergic to them.

I definitely agree with Kathy about watching for infection.  Watch for any drainage, redness, warmth or increased pain in the area (if it's not still numb!).  Keep it as clean as you can also.  I'm not sure I'd want to wait an additional 2 months on this one, but that's just me.

Hope this clears up quickly for you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Wwoodian

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:37:03 pm »
Hi, I'm with you on not wanting to wait 2 months.  Part of the incision has now healed, but the rest is still scabby and sometimes oozes.  I get so tired of the two hour trip into LA to have them say it's not a problem, but it just doesn't seem right at all.  Also I feel short stubby things that feel like stiitches sticking out of the area.  I've had it now for well over a month, I guess that next week I will follow up again.  Thanks for the input!
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:57:47 am »
Wood -

is there any way you can just email Dr. Friedman a picture of your surgical site and save yourself the 2 hour trip?

Others on the Forum have done just that - but I'm not sure it was with Dr. Friedman.

Or, can you get your regular doctor to look at the incision?  Infections can be diagnosed by any doctor; you don't have to be a brain surgeon   ;)

Just a few thoughts,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:54:55 am »
Hi! I have been dealing with an infection for over a year now and I love the idea of e-mailing a photo.  Sure wish that had been an option for me, since my surgeon is over 2 hours away! 

A few little thoughts from experience with the pesties - since the neurosurgeon knows exactly what the insides of your head looks like - were there internal sutures, titanium present?, mesh?, exactly where was the hardware placed, did anything notable occur during your operation?, and things like that...  Yes any doctor can detect an infection - Jan is absolutely right!  But, because the source, reasons, and targeted treatment are best tied to your specific situation, your neurosurgeon is likely to be the best possible person to determine what is needed.  In my experience, other doctors can monitor, assess progress, and even be referrals following the surgeon's lead, but it was best for me (all 4 times over the past year), to go to the one who knew exactly what was in my head and what he did.  Maybe your doctors closer to home will feel differently, but just wanted to throw that out there.  I tried and they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!!!  Too many unknowns for their comfort level.

As for little spikey things poking through - could be itty bitty hairs trying to grow in....I had (and still have these too!), and that's what they were. 

I'm anxious to see what you find out!!  We can compare notes!!  I'll bet you are just fine and you're going to get answers one way or the other soon.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:14:13 pm »
I had some short stubby stitches sticking out too.  I couldn't really tell if they were stitches or new hair growing in (hard to see over there, you know!) so I had my primary care doc take a look at it.  He was able to pull them out with tweezers for me and then when I had a few more poking out, I just had my husband pull them out.  Of course, I didn't have an infection.

I would say it probably wouldn't hurt to have your primary care doc look at it - it's better than worrying about it for 2 months.  Regardless of what's inside, he or she should be able to tell if the outside looks like a normally healing wound.  Maybe if it's determined to be a bigger issue than your surgeon thinks it is at this point, he could make a phone call and let him know you need to be seen sooner.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »
I just sped through the responses, not reading carefully.  I am at eleven months post-op; my three-month follow-up was canceled twice, so I'm waiting for my one-year check-up.  I was going to show my surgeon the sharp scabs or stitches when I went in, but I had a professional haircut for the first time in over a year, and the hairdresser couldn't stand it and dug out all the stitches, etc with tweezers.  It was a bit brutal, but I'm all smooth again.  So nice.  I gave her a nice tip!  I guess this is pretty common.
Good luck.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness