Author Topic: Post BAHA  (Read 4036 times)

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
Post BAHA
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »
You were right.  So far, so good.  Surgery got pushed back till around 6:00 p.m. last night!  But I was still out of there and on my way home by around 8:00.  They said I did great, and I think a Cochlear rep was in attendance to watch the implant of the newer, taller abuttment .  I do have headache today and am a little off balance.  My surgeon extended the time for me to retain my pressure bandage, but I will probably cheat and remove it tomorrow.  I am yet to see the drill site, but one of my surgeons said Dr. Gantz was going to shave very little hair.  So it may not be as visible from the start.  I'm also not supposed to wash my hair for a week, but that won't happen either.  I have Jan and Lori to thank for a full bottle of Dawn and a cup to cover my cap.  There is some serious post surgery residue that needs to come out of my hair soon! 

Thanks for all the valuable information and support.  I will keep you posted.

Very proud to a member of yet another exclusive club.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post BAHA
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:08:51 pm »
Yeah, Sue!   ;D

Glad to see things went well - noticed your smiling picture on another thread, which just reinforces that.

Your site won't look too pretty until it's healed for about a week or so, but it won't be too shocking either.

Thanks for checking in and please keep us updated.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »
Sue,  Good to hear that the BAHA surgery did well.     The picture looks very familiar to me!      I think Iowa City should have a get together of all of us who have been there.                 I hope your healing goes well and that time goes fast till you get the rest of the BAHA.           I am very happy for you!                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
Hi, Sue ~

I just wanted to  congratulate you on your BAHA abutment surgery being completed successfully and for moving closer to joining the BAHA folks, all, almost without exception (I said, almost)) love their BAHA, as I'm sure you'll love yours.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:23 pm »
Yaaaay Sue!

I am so glad to hear you are doing so well.  It sounds like you were a perfect patient.  I've been on the fence about having another operation so soon after my AN removal, but I have to say that all of you are really tempting me to do this sooner rather than later.  I would love to have some kind of hearing back on that side.  You are only three months (or so) away from that very thing.  Congratulations!!!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 10:52:59 am »
Lyn
the BAHA surgery is really a piece of cake.  A day thingy. In and out.

Sue
Glad to hear it all went well....I as well, use the cup to wash my hair.  what I did then was put some peroxide over the wound the covered it in antibacterial ointmaent..I get Baha turned on this wed...woohoooo
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »
Glad to hear surgery went well.  Pay attention to your doctor aftercare and don't be afraid to ask questions.  You'll be plugged in 3 months!  ;D
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:05:53 am »
I as well, use the cup to wash my hair.  what I did then was put some peroxide over the wound the covered it in antibacterial ointmaent

Some docs don't tell you to use peroxide - mine didn't.  I only used an antibiotic ointment (Bactracin) and then switched to Polysporin with zinc when I got the "itchies".

I'm not sure everyone gets the "itchies" but I had a MAJOR case of them while my site was healing; just about drove me crazy (yes, I know Lori, you suspected I was crazy long before my BAHA implant)  ;)  The zinc seemed to help.

Ken's right - go with what your doctor recommends.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
Yes, Jan, I had my suspicions!   ;)

I don't think the peroxide will hurt anything, but it will bleach your hair (unless you're already blonde and then I guess it won't matter).  I'd say stick with the neosporin or bacitracin.

I had the itchies too - after my AN surgery and after my BAHA!  Drove me nuts!  Any time I put my hand anywhere near my head, my 4 year old would say "MOMMY - No scratching!".   :-\  It does get better though.  Well, the scratching part, maybe not the being nuts part...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:25:37 am »
hi, what do you mean by the newer  taller abuttment ? does it differ from the one they used too use?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06