Author Topic: surgery 2/1/10  (Read 2823 times)

20acrewoods

surgery 2/1/10
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:14:48 pm »
Can anyone explain to me why they do not replace the skull piece & use fat from the abdomen instead?  My husband is having surgery at the Mayo Clinic in MN on Monday.

Also, within a 2 mile radius (as the crow flies) we have had 4 people with various benign tumors in the head.  Meninga, etc. no other acoustic neuromas but we have  a huge powerline that we share & also a river.  Worth pursuing any connection?
Hoping & praying for a great outcome for my husband.  Prayers accepted!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: surgery 2/1/10
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:49:51 pm »
20acres -

not all docs follow the same protocol.  I had a piece of my skull removed for my AN surgery plus I had a fat graft.  In my case, the piece of skull WAS replaced - and I also received some "hardware" - titanium plate, mesh, and screws.

The fat is generally used to fill in the place where the tumor used to be - it isn't generally used in place of the piece of skull.

As for the tumor connection, IMO it's just a coincidence.  But that's just my take on the situation.

Hope your husband's surgery goes well.  Please give him our best wishes - and update us when you can.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »
20acrewoods ~

Jan answered your questions and I'll reiterate her response that each doctor uses a slightly different protocol with AN removal surgery.  I have the titanium plate, mesh and screws securing the skull section that was removed during the surgery.  It has re-ossified by now and is of no real consequence in my daily life.  I did not receive the body fat 'filler' but don't miss it. 

The effect of a power line and/or a river on people developing benign tumors is quite likely coincidental and any alleged connection would be impossible to prove to a medical certainty.  I would let that one go.

Your husband will be in the thoughts and prayers of many, including me, on Monday.  May he have a smooth surgery with no complications - and then, a rapid, complete recovery

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

20acrewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedback & prayers are always welcomed.  I'll update (& improve the "signature line") in the future. 
Hoping & praying for a great outcome for my husband.  Prayers accepted!