Author Topic: Facial muscles contracting???  (Read 7511 times)

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
Facial muscles contracting???
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:21 pm »
I had some minor cosmetic surgery done on my eye, 7 weeks ago.  Since then, the AN side of my face seems to be contracing.  I'm not sure how else to explain it.  I'm 6 months out from AN surgery and I have some facial movement on the AN side.  What I'm really noticing is that the muscles seem to be contracting.  Where my face used to droop, it now is tighter and seems to have shifted upward.  Where my mouth used to turn down, it now turns up.  I've developed a dimple in my chin. I'm having trouble eating and speaking again.  My face is sore.  I rub it and try to stretch the muscles.  The more I do, the more it hurts.  It actually aches.

Is this 'normal'.  Has anyone else had this happen?  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:07:50 pm by Jim Scott »
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

kiwi

• Facebook
Re: Facial muscles contracting???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:07 pm »
Hi Ddaybrat

I have just noticed the same thing on my face over the last two days.  My mouth seems to look a bit uneven now, the good side seems to look droopier now even though its normal.  Under my left eye its still a bit saggy but my mouth on the same side is upturned a bit.  I don't seem to have any new symptoms only the same old ones that I have always had with facial paralysis.
I'm taking this as a good sign, it might be the nerve trying to work again.  I am also 6 months post op and have signs of movement and I even seem to be getting back some wrinkles.....didn't think I would ever be pleased to have wrinkles.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:48:38 pm »
I totally understand appreciating wrinkles.  We don't realize how much character they give our face.  I'm glad to hear that someone else is experiencing the same things.  Thanks for replying.

Pat
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

epodjn

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »
I had that exact same thing happen. If you are able to find a good neuor-muscular therapist this would be a good time to start going. They can show you how to relax those newly moving muscles and your face will stop hurting and start looking more symmetrical. It was the best thing I could have done. Sounds like both of you are at the beginning of exciting new movements in your face.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:06 pm »
My face did much the same...after drooping for awhile it slowly got better then seemed to go slightly too far. Feels tight and occasionally aches a bit. My face looks pretty symmetrical but the weakness is still there when I smile...I miss whistling.
The tightness seems to get worse when I'm tired.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:54:04 pm »
Definitely look into neuromuscular facial retraining!  What you are describing sounds like hypertonic muscles - in laymen's terms, your muscles are spasming.  Speaking form experience, this can be very painful not to mention disfiguring.  I started getting this in my cheek at about a year post.  I ignored it (stupid!) until it got so bad that I was using the heating pad on my face every few hours.  At the same time, I started to get synkinesis (that would be the dimpling in the chin).  Finally, almost 2 years post op, I went to Wisconsin to spend 3 days with Jackie Diels - best thing I've done!  The improvement has been amazing, the pain is gone, my lip isn't pulled up into a snarl anymore ... and so on.

Please feel free to PM me if you want Jackie's contact info.  If it is not feasible for you to travel to her, she can give you the name of someone near you since she has trained so many of the NMFR people around the US and Canada.  Just don't ignore it!  The hypertonicity could go away on its own, although for most of us it doesn't.  And, the synkenisis won't go away, all you can do is learn to retrain the muscles to minimize it.

Good luck!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Brewers7

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »
I need contact info on Jackie Diels?  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:40:48 pm by Brewers7 »
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »
Here you go...

Jackie Diels
Neuromuscular Retraining Clinic
UW Clinics - Research Park
621 Science Drive
Madison, WI 53711
(608) 362-2935
jdiels@uwhealth.org

Good luck!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »
Hey Debbi, how are your teeth on your AN side?  I have such receding gums an that side and they are so sensitive.  I'm on the cancelation list with my dentist.  This situation is partly my fault because I have always been afraid of dentist LONG STORY, and I really haven't been going faithfully since I had surgery.  I had to have a root canal done two months after surgery.  I just get really creeped out when I go, I need a mild tranquilizer.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 07:56:12 am »
Hey Anne Marie!
Well, first of all, I share your fear of dentists.  Frankly, I was less nervous going into brain surgery than I am when I go to the dentist! 

Seemed like I did have a few more dental problems the first year - I attribute that to the fact that my lips didn't close and consequently my mouth was constantly dry which is very bad for teeth and gums.  I ended up having a root canal within six months of surgery which is the antithesis of fun ...  I do make myself go for cleaning every six months - hate it, but have to do it.   My teeth and gums have always been extremely sensitive, so I started using Sensodyne toothpaste about 4 years ago - it definitely helps.  Have you tried that?  I think Colgate and Crest make a toothpaste for sensitive teeth, too.  There is also a mouthwash that the dentist can prescribe that also reduces sensitivity.   I just wish we had the option of lazer cleaning at my dentist!  I hate the scraping - freaks me out.

Hang in there, my friend.

Debbi 
2.4 cm Right Side AN