Author Topic: how many of you had dr. golfino?  (Read 8318 times)

madison

how many of you had dr. golfino?
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:01:45 pm »
hi everyone!  i am just trying to do my homework on places to have surgery-just incase. i have heard tons of great stuff about House, but i am curious about a more local place. i live in south jersey. i have heard dr. golfino mentioned a few times. i guess i want to know of closer hospitals, how many of you have gone to somewhere other than House, and your outcomes. i asked my docs how many AN surgeries they do a yr. and they said about 35. that does not seem like a big enough number to me. thank you in advance for your comments and support.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: how many of you had dr. golfino?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:29:52 pm »
Madison -

Drs. Roland & Golfinos are great docs; used by many on the Forum.

Debbi Bifulco (user name Debbi) is one of them.  

Others are MaryAnne (user name ennayram), marymomof3, Joanne7151 (just had her surgery on Wednesday), Darlene, Joe (user name jtd71465), and apostal (her husband is actually the patient).  In addition, I think Wendy (user name wendysig) went to Roland & Golfinos.

Jan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:40:57 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:53:13 am »
Hi Madison-

I am in northern NJ and had surgery w/Golfinos and Roland in April 2008.  Both excellent surgeons with a LOT of AN experience.  As a side note, they are writing a new textbook just about Acoustic Neuromas.  I also looked at HEI, but just couldn't wrap my arms around flying all the way across the country when there are so many experienced surgeons in the NYC area who treat ANs.  

You might enjoy this article about about Dr. Roland,  Dr. Golfinos' partner in AN surgery:  http://ent.med.nyu.edu/news/2009/j-thomas-roland-jr-md-named-chair-otolaryngology

Please PM me if you want to have a phone chat - I'm happy to answer any questions.

Debbi  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:18:10 am by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mandy721

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:52:51 am »
There are a number of teams here in NY that do AN surgeries.  We consulted with a three teams in NY and also with Fr. Friedman at House.  Ken chose to stay in New York for his surgery. My husband's surgeons were Michael Sisti, neurosurgeon, and Ian Storpor, neurotologist, at Columbia Presbyterian.  Ken's AN was large when it was first discovered in May.  At that time, he had minor symptoms and still retained some hearing in that ear.  Dr. Sisti felt retrosigmoid would offer a chance to save the hearing and that was important to my husband.  Ken's surgery was long and difficult and he lost the hearing in the ear and suffered facial weakness post surgery. He is now 5 1/2 months out and is doing relatively well with his recovery, but is hoping that his face will get better.

We thought well of all of the surgeons we consulted with in NY, Drs Roland and Golfinos at NYC, Dr. Gutin at Memorial Sloan Kettering who partners with Dr. Selesnick at Cornell, in addition to the team who performed the surgery.  You would be in good hands with all of them. 
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

venice68

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 07:23:07 am »
Actually I am having AN surgery with Dr Golfinos and Dr Roland at NYU tomiorrow, March 1.
Many members of ANA-NJ chapter have been successfully operated on by that team. Golfinos is the chairman of neurosurgery and Roland was recently made the chairman of otoneurology at NYU

My growth, a remnant left in my head MANY years ago (surgery at Mass, General in the seventies--yes, that far back there were no MRIs back then, & they thought they got it all out) I've had MRIs since 1991 with no apparent change, but this year my balance and walking have deteriorated greatly. After vestibular testing, it turns out that a cyst has developed on the remnant which is pressing on my brain stem

After the AN  surgery  &  hospitalization I will need to go to rehab

nmspee

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:44 am »
I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma on 2/2/2010. I had the translabyrintine procedure on March 31 by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos at NYU Medical Center. All of the tumor was removed. The team was wonderful as were the nurses. I came home on the third day with a walker and graduated to a cane yesterday. I had a fall outside on the dock yesterday, which was a wake up call that I can't do everything yet. Balance is my only issue and its so much better already. No facial weakness. I would highly recommend this team of very experienced doctors.
d***
AN 1.1cm x 2 cm diagnosed 2/2/2010
Removed via translabyrinthine approach on 3/31/2010 by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos at NYUMC.