Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421003 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #855 on: May 06, 2011, 07:16:41 pm »
So, as I said, I worked really hard at the gym Thursday since it was the only day this week I was able to make it. This morning my husband and I did a presentation at Civil War Day. I wore my reproduction boots (incidentally the same ones that Nicole Kidman wore in Cold Mountain) and was on my feet nearly all morning. Now I have nearly unbearable shin splints, which are also working their way around into charlie horses and up into my hip adductors. Generally I don't have much pain to complain about, but this really HURTS.

I think I need to take some ibuprofen and go to bed.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #856 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:01 am »
wow, sara, interesting to read about your Civil War enactments / involvement. Sounds cool, but i wouldn't like those boots either. good for you for all your progress and staying so consistent.

cindy - you've been a great motivator to everyone.

soundy - any word on your half sister's grandma? my half sister lives in alabama. they are in a trailor park. they had so many tornadoes go north and south of them. scary, scary stuff.

jill and clairce - y'all have been a great encouragement to each other. good for you! even when you don't feel like it.

kaybo and clarice - i'm trying to read all over the forum to find out how you are doing and what's up with infections, surgeries, etc. i have not been around much the last few weeks. i think i've finally got the story on kay, but wondering how you are doing now? are you feeling better finally? i hope so. i know you are so busy with your girls and all their work at school, sports, etc. i pray for you.

and clarice - i need to find out about you now. so i'm going 'clarice post forum hunting' after i'm done here. i will be praying for you too, i just need to know more details.

yes i survived the bike thing. we rode from DC to almost frederick on day one but storms prevented us from completing the ride. day two frederick to gettysbury. i think 45 miles day one and 50 the next. it was fun, cold, wet, but better day two. a privilege to ride with military and wounded warriors. woudl like to do it again next year.
this past weekend i ran a half marathon and it went much better than i thought it would. i was scenic and just the right amount of not too big hills.
today is a beautiful day and i need to run, bike or something.
good to be bakc on here again!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #857 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:32 am »
Just returned from walking (all I can do) for the first time - well, obviously I've been walking but not for exercise. I'm still very low on my energy & the dr told me to rest for 6 weeks but I just can't do that. I heard of a friend who had a laproscopic hysterectomy AND a bladder sling & she was running a mile in 4 weeks. Tomorrow is 4 weeks - I gotta get with it!  Fake it until you make it is my new motto!  I can't tell you how great it felt to put on workout clothes - ESP ones that wouldn't fit before! - & sunscreen/tanning lotion (w/sunscreen)!! I'm determined not to let this weight loss go by the wayside - esp since I found out we are going on a cruise at the very end of July!  I'm going to need lots of encouragement!

Laying down now - hope this walk sits well with me!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #858 on: May 09, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
glad to hear from you and glad you're resting now.
oh wow, i feel for you, kay. so hard to do the mom thing and have no energy.
i hope the getting back into walking thing really helps you after the course of a few days.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #859 on: May 09, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »
Good for you Kay! Just be sure not to overdo the exercise bit as you recover. The cruise sounds like fun. Is the whole family going or just you and Dave?

Clarice, we're all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers this week. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able.

I decided that since I have never gotten shin splints from the treadmill before, and also never had problems from my Civil War boots, that the leg pain was probably due to the unique combination of the two. I also think I probably need to replace my running shoes before I get on the treadmill again. I worked out on the elliptical this morning and so far, so good.

Have a great week, everyone!

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #860 on: May 09, 2011, 08:34:00 pm »
hi sara,
seems i've read somewhere that many times shin splints are due to needing better running shoes (or a newer pair). it can get a bit pricey, but it's worth it as well. you should see all the pairs of old / new / in between running shoes we (hubby and me) have laying around our house! a lot of races and running stores take donations of shoes when they're worn out, so we donate them too.
just don't run in those boots!
i think they have a run in DC where people wear high heels! crazy! at least it's a short race.

i did get out and run a bit and then bike. i love bking on dirt trails... there's a park near our house. it's a lot more fun than running (in my opinion) but requires more effort (as in prep).

glad to be getting caught upon everyone. i finally cound clarice's surgery thread. i had no idea all that was going on.

keri
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #861 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »
Keri .....

Please do not feel badly about not knowing about my surgery. You have had a lot on your plate!!  It is hard to keep up with everyone on the Forum so I understand perfectly!!

We walked in Griffith Park (Glendale, CA) this afternoon. Does that count towards pre-op exercise?  Gorgeous weather ..... Cool and sunny!  I could get used to this if I were not thinking about surgery in 39 hours!

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #862 on: May 10, 2011, 08:01:01 am »
Clarice, walking absolutely counts. I'm praying for a wildly successful surgery.

Keri, I hear you on the expensive shoes. I wear shoes for extreme flat foot/pronation. They usually run about $130 per pair, but I found a pair of last year's model in my size on clearance for just over half price. They shipped this morning.

Have a great day, everyone.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #863 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:42 am »
Great news about the shoes, Sara!!  Getting new tennies is a HUGE deal for me...I usually research, research, research and then price compare (my friend makes fun of me!).  This year (in Houston) I went to a running shop that evaluates your stride and then puts you in what fits that.   I left with the same model I'd been in!  Good to know I'd done my research right!
How are the shin splints?  I had shin splints so bad in 9th grade that I had to tape from ankle to knee in strips going around my leg...crazy!  When I wasn't playing and just sitting in class, they had me drawing the alphabet in the air with my toes.  I still do that sometimes when they are acting up!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #864 on: May 10, 2011, 09:14:21 am »
Hope you're feeling good after your walk, K. (on the side, where are you taking your cruise. You can actually get lots of exercise if you so desire!)

And good to hear the other news, Keri and Sara ( Sara~loved that pic on FB!)

One last day before surgery, Clarice. Make sure you go on a nice relaxing walk, maybe along the beach? I'm sure you'll sail through with flying colors. Will be praying for a swift surgery and recovery.

Ok, gotta do some sit ups (sorry that's all I can muster today). Getting ready for that trip to TX.

Took a zumba class yesterday~my new love! So invigorating and FUN.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cindyj

« Reply #865 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:47 am »
Yes, shoes can make all the difference!  I never believed that until several years ago when I started all this jog/walking stuff...used to just wear my tennis (tennis) shoes for everything.

Maureen, I have recently taken a couple of Zumba classes...it is fun!  Parts of the one I'm taking get a little corny for me, but have enjoyed it, for the most part.

Played tennis the last three days, but not much else...lots of fun, but don't know that I burned near enough calories...have a class on Thu and Fri, though...

Clarice, that weather out there is awesome, isn't it!  Guess you're doing all your pre-op stuff today - it will now all be over before you know it!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #866 on: May 10, 2011, 02:41:22 pm »
Kay - I did that evaluation thing too. They had me run barefoot on a treadmill while they videotaped my feet. Then we watched in slo-mo. The degree of my pronation was pretty startling - it looked like my ankle could snap at each step. I don't know exactly how long I've had those shoes, I only wear them to work out and even carry them to and from the gym in my bag. But I recently noticed that the mesh over top of my big toes was beginning to wear, so I'm sure it's time for a new pair.

Moe, I loved your pic on fb. Lookin' good!

Speaking of pics on fb - Keri, loved the prom pics. So pretty.

Cindy, tennis sounds like fun. So does Zumba. The PE teacher at my son's school, who got me involved with Body-for-Life, is doing boot camps before and after school. Unfortunately it's either pay for boot camp for pay our YMCA membership. Sticking with the Y.

Clarice, thoughts and prayers are with you.

Soundy, haven't heard from you in a little while. Everything OK your way?
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #867 on: May 10, 2011, 10:44:59 pm »
It's not a good sign when you feel to tired to post! Going to give it a shot because I'm way behind.

Cindy - So glad to hear that you have been dancing for over a year now, I love how a few dance classes have turned into your Friday entertainment.  Was your Husband in the Military, just wondering since you said you go to the Legion to dance.  My Dad goes there for the same reason.  I know what you mean about the spin moves, glad they're worth it.  I love riding roller coasters, or should I say use to love them, want to ride them again but I'm afraid they will make me feel sick instead of excited.  Will do as you did and give it a whirl!  My hubby's back is finally doing better, thanks for asking.  He went back to work last week and actually rode his bike to work today (50 minute ride), he said riding doesn't hurt thankfully. 

Sara - The Civil War Day sounds like fun, except for the shin splints of course, hope you're doing ok now!  I get them every now and then when I walk to fast on a hard surface.

Clarice - Will be thinking about you, hope the surgery goes well.  When you're up and ready to go again I will be here to support you and your Hubby through the Spring workout program.

Maureen - I've heard lots of good things about the Zumba, they do it at the club I go to but I don't think it's for me, maybe I'm just chicken.  What's it like?

Kay - So glad to hear you feel up to taking a walk, remember baby steps.  I know you want to keep the weight off that you loss through extreme measures but you don't want to do to much so you end up back at square one. 

Keri - You sure like to challenge yourself don't you?  I love the nice paved flat road rides and you like the dirt trails.  I do agree with you on the biking over the running.  Hubby and I are going to ride some trails on our vacation, some are flat road & some are packed gravel with some hills.  Perhaps I will learn to like the off road rides too!

Work has been exhausting and therefore keeping me from working out like I want to.  At this point I have to make it a mind over body decision or I won't be ready for our vacation in June.  Walked the dogs for 1/2 hour tonight then took my first spin of the season on my bike, made it 20 minutes, will increase a bit everyday.  We will be biking an average of 30 miles a day on vacation so I want to be ready so I can enjoy it.  Won't bike everyday thankfully.  Hope everyone has a good week, Jill :)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #868 on: May 11, 2011, 09:21:48 pm »
Thanks for posting, Jill. You're always so good at encouraging everyone! Sounds like you NEED a vacation! Wish I could go biking with you everyday... sounds like fun.

I did read on another thread that Clarice is out of surgery. So glad Kaybo is on top of that and I'm sure we'll get a good update in the morning.

I did something that I say I'm going to try to do everyday, but always put it off  - I ran. in the morning. and not at 11:59am, at 8:30!! was so good to just get it over with. Wednesdays are so busy for me and it's hard to work it in later in the day. I need to do that again.

Have a good rest of the week and.. like Cindy says... 'get moving!!'

Keri
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #869 on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:19 am »
Done with cardio for today - on the elliptical since I am still waiting for new shoes.

Second workout will come this afternoon - taking MIL to the dentist. We both have appointments.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09