Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421018 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »
that's interesting, kay, about your core strength and theory. what in the world are inverted sit ups? i'm having a tough time doing the regular ones! but am doing more than i did when i started a few weeks ago. and i know that this core strength working out thing is helping my running. i had heard that before, but didn't really do anything about it. i forgot the reasons why, but it helps. so i'm sure since you are so strong in that, kay, that whatever else you do will just be helped.

that wobbly ball sounds kind of fun, soundy!

PATRICK!!! GOOD LUCK - RUN GREAT in your marathon tomorrow!!!! We are proud of you!!!!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #676 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:57 am »
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/livenow?id=6600207

this link is a live link to houston marathon. the time right now shows about 4:35. patrick may have already finished or may cross any minute. the clock time is diffferent from the chip time; sometimes it takes runners in big races several minutes just to make it across the start.

i'd love to see patrick; i don't even know what he looks like (except from his pic); i know he's tall! so i'm looking for tall guys!

we'll be able later to see a replay of runners finishing.

yay patrick!! considering the weather was for thunderstorms and very humid... i'm so glad the race wasn't cancelled.

he's on pace to finish (based on his other times) strong!!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #677 on: January 30, 2011, 11:50:18 am »
everyone go congratulate patrick! 4:28!!!
awesome finish!

keri
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #678 on: January 30, 2011, 01:05:27 pm »
I am thinking of making up my own style of marathon ....walking not running ...joints won't take  running ...

I can turn out our driveway to right and drive to school and it is 12.5 miles ... to left it is 10.5 miles ... going to left I have to take a right to get to school but if I go straight across I can go a 1.5 down the road to some hay property we own ...

so I can go out drive to right and walk to school but pass it by and head home on shorter route , when I get to our road turn right instead of left to come home and instead go to hay field and turn around and come back to cross road  , look both ways and  cross road and come home ....it would be 26 miles ... and I know alot of people along the way to get rides home from in the event that I give up  ;D...

husband thinks this is a crazy ambition ... if I don't work up to it before it gets too hot I will have to do an evening walk in the summer ... I am up to tolerating about 6 miles and smile intact ...10 with discomfort and no smile ... I figure it would take me about 8 hours to walk it ... I  walk about a mile in 15 minutes which would come out to 6.5 hours for 26 miles... but figure I will have slow down due to tiredness ... gotta talk the girls into this ... may just start walking on Saturday mornings and call Bo to come get us when I reach my limit ... work up to making full circle ...

I walk better outside than around gym at school ... I like scenery to change ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #679 on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:16 pm »
Go for it, Soundy.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #680 on: January 30, 2011, 04:09:36 pm »
we are behind you Soundy!!  DO IT!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #681 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:38 pm »
Awesome, Patrick!  Way to go - what a finish!  WOW!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #682 on: January 31, 2011, 07:49:25 am »
Thanks guys. I just posted on the other thread that Keri started on my marathon run yesterday. Just to close the loop, I'm very happy and proud to say that I did attain all my goals including the stretch ones (barely). Just looking at the overall race stats, out of the people that finished the whole marathon in my age group (50-54), I was 298th out of 704. And for the men in my age group, I was 248th out of 510.

Like I said on the other thread, I'm going to take a few days off from exercising to recover, but don't let that stop the rest of you.   ;)

Thanks.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #683 on: January 31, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »
we are behind you Soundy!!  DO IT!!

K   ;D

now to get Bo behind me ... girls are kinda with me ...they are trying to figure out which way would be best ...both ways have a big hill each ...trying to figure which would be hardest to walk... I say we should get dropped at foot of each and walk up...see which hurts the worst ...

the girls say they would rather ride bikes but I feel safer walking ... country roads don't always lend themselves to bike riding ...

Patrick ... I set myself a goal in walks to just finish ...so far I have ...  you did great ... I need to set higher goals for myself ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #684 on: January 31, 2011, 09:54:36 pm »
The SPOTLIGHT belongs to PATRICK, way to go, awesome show of what one can do when they put there mind to it, despite physical challenges.   When you get out there I'm assuming you feel like you're just one of the crowd, not someone that has overcome medical issues.  You are out there with all the others with there own issues trying to finish a 26 mile Marathon.  You deserve to be proud of yourself and you deserve a nice long break, we promise to keep moving! 8) 8) 8)

Soundy - Let us know how the Soundy Marathon progresses, looks like you have a good plan in mind, now to see if it works for you. 

Did some more Geo-caching this week end, it was 35 with a wind chill but we wanted to get out anyway, don't know how far we walked and I don't care, had fun and got some exercise so that's all that matters.  As Sara said, exercise is a part of my life it doesn't rule my life.  Back to the club tonight so I'm back at it, however, I bought some Waffle Cone Ice cream in a moment of weakness over the weekend so we will have to see who wins, the ice cream or the workouts! 

Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #685 on: February 01, 2011, 11:33:01 am »
Probably not going to make it to the gym for several days. I'm going to have to figure out how to do high intensity interval snow-shoveling.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #686 on: February 01, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »
Oh, do be careful with the snow shoveling ...... that is a heart attack waiting to happen.  I have been reading more and more about how heart attacks for women far out number breast cancers.

We are missing this awful storm coming ..... looks to be only rain for us, but we've had our share of the white stuff already this winter.

..... and yes, I am going to the gym three times a week.   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #687 on: February 01, 2011, 01:31:52 pm »
Sounds like Amarillo with the wind howling outside!!

I have been to the gym 2x's this week and plan to go the rest of the week - however, I may have to skip out on tomorrow so I can help set up for a luncheon at church.  We'll see what I wind up doing!  I did notice my pants weren't as tight this morning!   :)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #688 on: February 01, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »
Don't worry, Clarice, that was a joke. But I don't think I am in danger of a heart attack anyway - no risk factors. Kaybo, you're going to have to go to the gym for all of us Midwesterners this week. Have fun with that, OK?
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #689 on: February 01, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
our snow is melting, i guess. were supposed to have an ice storm tonight, but now it's rain. i ran saturday long and today a little. i need to get out tomorrow and thursday, take friday off, then another long run saturday.

great, Clarice, on the gym going!

have a good, safe, warm??? week!

keri
My head feels weird!!