Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420408 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #540 on: October 30, 2010, 01:28:21 pm »
cindyj, thank you so much for thinking of me!!  I did the 5K this morning and entered as a runner for the first time.  I came in 105/117 and had a time of 39:something.  Yay!!  I have a lot of room for improvement but loved the adrenaline of being considered a runner.  It was hard to find my pace at first, I think because of all the people around me but it turned out well.  Well in the fact that I finished it.  ;) I can't wait for the next one and now that I have an official time I have something to work towards. 

Sarahlynn, good job with Body for Life! Do you spend a lot of time in the gym for that program? It's such a good feeling when clothes loosen up a bit.  I'd like to have that feeling right now, ha.

I'm with Cindy though...step away from the candy!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #541 on: October 30, 2010, 03:32:22 pm »
Anissa, good job on the 5K! To answer your question, actually I spend less time in the gym than I used to. BFL rotates between weightlifting and high intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio. For instance one week will be upper body workout, HIIT cardio, lower body workout, HIIT cardio, upper body workout, HIIT cardio. The next week is lower body workout, HIIT cardio, upper body workout, HIIT cardio, lower body workout, HIIT cardio.

Weight workouts last about an hour and cardio workouts take twenty minutes. (I spend a little longer on warmup and cooldown, so my cardio is about half an hour.)

The diet part takes a little planning. The program recommends six meals a day with equal portions of proteins and carbs, adding vegetables for two meals (usually lunch and dinner). The rule of thumb is a serving of protein about the size of your palm, and a serving of carbs about the size of your fist, averaging 20-25 grams of each (more for a guy). It's not that bad now that I have the hang of it - I've certainly been on harder diets. Also one day a week is a free day for both diet and exercise. Like most people, I take mine on Sunday. And look where Halloween lands this year. Hmmm.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #542 on: November 03, 2010, 05:46:15 am »
Tore tendons in my foot on the 23rd ...running from big toe across foot to ankle ... have it braced and it is fine as long as I keep it wrapped if I am walking much ... tore it trying on shoes  :o ...just standing on one leg with foot braced against other leg kinda forming the number 4 ... trying to slip my own shoe back on foot after slipping my foot into a shoe my daughter wanted me to try on for ugly test ... funny fake green alligator skin ... I guess I just turned my foot wrong ... doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I was trying to explain it ...

but even injured I have walked alot in past couple weeks ...have lost 10 pounds with harvest festival running ... I eat less when super busy and drink more water ... I need another project to run a few more pounds off ... want to do a 10K walk in December another watch and wait for now ... with foot and not sure if I am up to it , I am a bit scared ...don't want to have to call along route to be picked up ...  may just start walking and see how far I get ... kinda like jumping in water to learn to swim   
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #543 on: November 07, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
Have to confess I've been slacking off a little bit lately - haven't found much time to get to the gym since I started my new job  :(

Hope to rectify that situation very soon - in fact I hope today I'll find the motivation and inspiration I need and can continue to hold on to it.

The holidays - and all that tempting food - are coming!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #544 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:47 pm »
Five weeks into Body for Life and going strong. Have lost 3 pounds and 4 inches so far.

Went to watch my nephew play soccer last weekend (he plays for NYU and they playing Wash U in St. Louis). Those boys are in amazing shape. Matt played the entire game, two 45-minute halves plus two 10-minute overtime periods. They just won their conference for the first time ever and will play in the NCAA tournament. Exciting!
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Lizard

« Reply #545 on: November 07, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »
Sara,
Great work keep at it!   ;D

Jan,
I'm sure once you're back in a routine with work you will find a workout routine as well  :D

I have tendinitis in both my shoulders right now, which I think is caused by all the neck pain and over compensation because of it.  I was told to just take it easy from weights for a while, do the PT stretches I looked up online and use moist heat.  Its just annoying because I feel like a slug and really want to go to the gym, but hate doing the elliptical or treadmill etc.  I really want to go back to my group exercise, but the movement really aggravates the shoulders.  Hopefully in another week or two I'll be good as new??  I know patience, patience, patience!

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jill Marie

« Reply #546 on: November 11, 2010, 11:54:35 pm »
Hi all,  Glad to see the thread is still moving along, we are really going to need it with the Holidays just around the corner!

Cindy -  Have you gotten a chance to ride your new bike or has the weather turned against you.  How's the marathon training going?  You were WAY to late with the Halloween candy warning, I had already done in a bag of paydays, I justified it because it has nuts and nuts are good for you. 

Soundy - I want a farm to get my exercise on too!  I realize it's a lot more work then I probably want to deal with but I love the idea of living in the country and getting a workout without thinking it's a workout.  How are the tendon's in your foot doing?  Doc's should be use to strange reasons for getting hurt, I jumped over the exhaust from my husbands pickup a few years ago, my foot landed on a landscape board and I ended up with a hairline fracture.

Kaybo - Yes, mopping and sweeping is an exercise program, especially considering all the floor you have to do.  I will explain some of my exercise programs later. 

Priscilla - How are you doing on your 2 miles a day, 5 days a week.  Will the weather change your plans?

Anissa - Congratulations on running the 5k, I haven't run more than a block in years.

Sara - Glad to hear the Body for Life Challenge is going well, it's always a boost for the morale and work out routine when the clothes fit more comfortable.  At this point do you think you will continue the workout program and diet once the program is over?

Jan - Congratulations on getting the new job, I'm sure that once you settle into the new work routine you will find time to develop a workout routine as well.  Starting a new job is enough to deal with at first.

Liz - I don't care for the treadmill either, I don't like it because I would rather be outside walking the dogs then stuck in one place inside.  I ride the bike at the club but I'm already not caring for that to much as unlike riding out on the centennial trail the club bikes brother my back, got a heating pad on it now.  Good thing about the club as you well know is using the weights, hope you can get back to doing that soon. 

After our vacation I cut back on the bike riding so I could catch up on a few projects around the house, I walked the dogs almost every night but that was it.  Then I decided I best get back to riding before the weather and time change made me go back to the gym.  I could tell I had slacked off right away so rode everyday tell it was to dark after work to do it safely.  I'm riding the bike at the club and will soon start doing the weights as well.  I already miss riding outside, glad my husband got me doing it.  My weekend work outs have included, pulling dead vines and plants out of the garden, helping my husband haul boards for the deck and then building the deck, carving 10 Jack O' Lanterns and last weekend we hauled rounds of wood home so my husband could turn them into fire wood, this weekend we stack the wood and hopefully finish the deck before the snow flies.

My husband has put over 2500 miles on his bike since last May just riding to and from work.  He's now riding to the bus stop and taking the bus to work because of the shorter daylight hours and soon to be cold weather.  His plan was to loose 20 pounds by Fall, he did and I'm jealous! 

Hope everyone has a nice weekend! Jill

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:48 am »
I am officially back on track  ;D

Ran 1.5 miles on Tuesday and 1.5 miles on Wednesday.

It's amazing how much energy this has given me - and it's also given me a better attitude.

I need to remember that on the tough days when it's hard to find time to schedule a workout.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2010, 08:19:45 am »
OK - so I actually went to the HOA and FINALLY had my picture taken so that I can start going to the neighborhood workout facility.  Now, I just need the motivation to GO!

K   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #549 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:14 am »
Hey Jill! I do plan to continue with the BFL basics once the initial challenge is over. I may tweak it a bit, for instance now I do weight workouts MWF (alternating between upper-lower-upper and lower-upper-lower) and cardio TuThSa. After the beginning of the year I may switch to cardio MWF and weights TuTh, one upper and one lower body session per week. I'll have to see how far I go in the next six weeks before making that decision. The diet part I'm sure I will stick with.

Jan, your comment about finding time to work out reminded me of something I read in one of the BFL books. Bill Phillips said we will never find time to schedule a workout, we have to make time for it. It's a fine distinction, but an important one, and that may be what you meant anyway, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Have a great weekend, everyone. One more cardio session tomorrow and I am halfway through my challenge!

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

texsooner

« Reply #550 on: November 12, 2010, 10:51:33 am »
Haven't been on here much lately, but still check in some. Great to hear about everyone keeping active.

I'm in the middle of training for my first ever full marathon. I've done several 1/2 marathons, but training for a full is quite different. So far, so good. I'm using some training tips from Keri (the person who started this long thread), as she is a veteran marathoner. I'm doing an 8 mile run tomorrow, then a 16 mile run on Sunday.

Good luck to everyone on their endeavors.....be active and stay safe everyone.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

cindyj

« Reply #551 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:39 pm »
Hey, Jill!  No, I have not been on that bike yet!  Weather has been great, but we are heavy into training for the 1/2 marathon in Feb...that's my excuse, anyway!  Did 6.5 on Wednesday - was dreading it as I've had a cold and some sort of stomach bug, but went out anyway and was very glad I did!  That pressure of girls waiting at the trail for me worked its magic again!  Tell your husband congratulations on the weight loss - that's great!  Very cool that he's been riding his bike to work...

"Enjoy" your long run this weekend, Patrick!  I don't know how you marathoners do it!  I so admire you all and would love to be able to do it, but I don't have that much mental fortitude...not to mention the physical part...

Kaybo, go use that HOA membership!

Good job, everyone - keep it up!  Will be dancing both tonight and tomorrow night - so hope to burn off an extra calorie or two!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2010, 05:12:40 pm »
Well, you go Jan Girl!!

I had over 40 peripheral nerve block injections (AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! no sedative or anesthesia!!) in my low back area on Monday--took advantage of all the lidocaine and walked all over Ikea and the mall afterwards--paid for it the next day of course.  Wednesday went to Asheville and had a great outing with Dr love and my Uncle.  Lots of pain on Thursday.  OK but TODAY I woke up with very little pain in my back, walked all over town and feel pretty darn good for the first time in a year and a half.

The peripheral nerve blocks are a precursor to a nerve ablation procedure which it looks like I will be having in about 5 weeks.  I have to go through 2 of them and have them work before they will do the ablation which involves radiofrequency heated probes they jam in my back to fry the nerves that are causing all the pain I have been having since my 4 hr hysterectomy.  (Another surgical position injury much like my post-op headaches.)

The reason I am posting this is that I will be trying this same nerve ablation technique on my post-op headaches so that I can be part of our little "getting back in shape" club, which I feel so left out of!!! (Boo hoo!)  Since my surgery 8 years ago, anything above a medium brisk walk has given me a whopping headache.  My back issues have kept me so inactive that my balance has totally gone to crap--if you don't use it you lose it!

I really admire all of you on this thread who are putting forth the effort to improve your health after your treatments/surgeries.  Keep on running, biking, walking, skipping, bunny-hopping or however you are just MOVING!!!!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jill Marie

« Reply #553 on: November 13, 2010, 08:33:23 pm »
OK - so I actually went to the HOA and FINALLY had my picture taken so that I can start going to the neighborhood workout facility.  Now, I just need the motivation to GO!

K   ;)

KAY - DON'T MAKE ME COME FIND YOU AND DRAG YOU TO THE WORKOUT FACILITY, I WILL DO IT AND I WON'T BE HAPPY THAT I HAD TO STOP WHAT I WAS DOING TO GET YOU GOING!  It would be nice to meet you though!  Drill Sgt. Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #554 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00:04 pm »
I concurred a mountain ... really just big  hill ... I manage to come down it under my own steam with out having to have anyone standing in front to put my hand on for balance ... I did twist my bad ankle , then stepped down on the side of my foot and ankle when I couldn't stop forward motion when twisted it ....then collapsed  to ground after muttering a really bad word (or maybe I screamed it) ...hit a rock hidden in leaves with knee and said another bad word ... I rolled over on my back and just squeezed my eyes shut trying to push back the pain and Sarah came over and was poking me with a stick asking if I was still alive ...she is so sweet  >:(  ...got up after a bit and continued down the hill ...

I was tracking deer and got within about 50 feet of 2 doe and their fawns and about 100 feet from a buck fighting a little beech tree... so had a cool morning that started as a just a ride through the hollow checking the cows ...got distracted by  big hickory nuts at side of trail/road (to grown up for a road and too wide for a trail) and I got out of truck and decided to find a varmint and walk off hill while husband took road all the way around ridge and came out at foot of hill to pick me back up ...

also climbed up in someones deer stand and sat about 25 feet up in the air hyperventilating for about 15 minutes before I could turn around on the 2x2 foot platform and go back down ... it has a little seat welded on a 4x4 steel post  that is about 6 x 8 ...(my butt is not 6x8) and my butt got tired of sitting on the little bitty  seat ... I hate ladders and height ...can't believe I used to work out of a 70 foot boom truck and not die daily ...now I need a shot of something  and a nap ...

head and neck sore ... not from fall but from walking down the hill looking down the whole time ... before we left out , someone took shower doors off the shower and sprayed scrubbing bubbles on soap scum and the bath room is not in order to take a hot shower or I would do that first then nap ... I guess I will finish cleaning bathroom , take a shower and  a shot of something , then nap ... already have hamburger stew made so family can self feed if I sleep through dinner ...

also thinking that the deer stand that showed up about 2 month ago and doesn't belong to the man who has permission to hunt could be taken down and sold ... 3 sections of square steel tube welded ladder that joins with pins and keys ,  with  welded platform with expanded metal that doesn't catch and hold water ... welding seat also covered with the expanded metal ...about 20 feet of chain and 3 turn buckles holding it to tree ... we left a note for them to remove it  several weeks ago and the note disappeared but the stand is still there ... my land , my deer stand ... bet someone would come banging on the door demanding it back if it vanished

anyway ... that is my grand adventure for this week ... I figure I survived the down hill walk , the tumble and the fall and not being attacked by any squirrels that were in the oak tree with me and that that is enough adventure for a while ... ankle is a bit swollen ...but hurts no less than before twisting it ... iced it when we came in ... guess it will be OK ...figure tomorrow everthing I have will be stiff and sore but worth it to learn that after 3 years and 4 months I can finally go down a hill without help

I am suppose to be looking up apple pie filling recipes but wanted to pop in and share ... husband thinks that the cinnamon, sugar , nutmeg , clove and allspice concoction I put together is all wrong  and hid my apples from me >:( ... I say it smells good and it is my pie ...but must look up something to please him ...what I mixed up is good on butter toast and would be good on apples too ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery