Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421025 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #510 on: September 24, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »
hi!
i haven't been on the forum in a couple of months. had a crazy busy summer, then returned home and have been trying to get caught up with everything ever since.
am still running - i have a marathon in 3 weeks and 1 day (YIKES!) i've been pretty good about keeping up with my long runs. missed a few over the summer. we work up to a 20 miler which needs to be tomorrow. however, my daughter and hubby have to go somewhere, and i don't have childcare for my autistic daughter so i will need to be held accountable to get the run in, if not tomorrow, then by monday. sunday's are out.

i'm so glad to hear y'all are still at it! or if you quit for a while you got back to it, or at least you're trying to get back to it!

i enjoyed reading what all of you are up to.

jan - i am sorry about your job too, but glad you're mostly doing alright and seeing the upside.

cindy - how was the 10k?

i hope everyone has a great weekend!

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #511 on: September 24, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »
have Giles County Heart Walk tomorrow ... with all the stuff going on with my dad I forgot I was signed up ...doublt I will make the 5K but going to do what I can ...having been working up to it either physically or mentally ... the girls are walking with me ... may have to make them carry me if I get too tired ...wish us luck
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #512 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:12 pm »
soundy - good for you! hope it goes well. take it slow - i think you  and the girls will do great!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #513 on: September 25, 2010, 05:45:36 am »
getting ready to leave out ... need to check in from 7-7:30 and walk begins at 8:00 ... it is drizzling but sat in truck listening to local radio and no announcement of postponement ... so going ... they have a $500 fitness trail to give to the school with most attendance and girls are positive we will win it ... we are the 7th  school in size out of 8 schools in the county ... we are a small but spirited bunch at Minor Hill  ... gonna raid my change jar as a donation ...probably about $100 in it ... feel bad I forgot about it and didn't collect anything ... too much going on ... gonna walk for my dad since he just survived several small heart procedures and the long heart valve replacement ...heading out umbrella in hand
Translab July 2 ,2007

texsooner

« Reply #514 on: September 25, 2010, 10:14:21 am »
Keri, great to hear from you....we've missed you. Make sure and get that long run in this weekend. I admire your ability to run all those marathons. I've run several half marathons, but making the leap for the first time to a full marathon as I've registered for the Houston marathon that runs in January. Just started training and was going to ask you for some pointers....I'll send you a PM. Ran 11 miles this morning...it's still hot/humid here in Houston...can't wait for the cooler air to come in.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Soundy

« Reply #515 on: September 26, 2010, 09:22:13 am »
me and the girls did the 5K Heart Walk yesterday ...in the rain and I'm not dried out yet .... wasn't sure I was mentally or physically prepared but finished easily ...

out of 230 starters only 104 did full walk and the rest cut across the big cemetery between a road we were on and the rec center and did half walk ... at half point I said I can do the whole thing and did ... 38th out of the 104 that did the whole thing ...would have been further back if not for the rain that slowed everyone down ... took me 54 minutes ...I walk alot walk faster in the nice flat school gym at a rate of about 13 MPM (minutes per mile ) ...hills and rain and fear of falling slowed me down ... so felt good about that time ......

main goal was to not quit at half and not to fall over ...accomplished both ... did take half a hydrocodone at half mark because hip was screaming stop and had to shut it up ... kicked in about the time I got back to the Start /Finish line ...

got to meditating and thinking of people here that are in a place of need ... Captain Deb and Jim and my dad were the top of my list and a general thought for everyone ...helped me go on even when my hip said stop ...

will post pictures when I get them uploaded to photo bucket ... maybe even one where I look totally wiped out even though I was OK ... it is just the way I look
Translab July 2 ,2007

Keri

« Reply #516 on: September 26, 2010, 10:00:55 pm »
Good for you, Soundy! And I think it was neat that you were thinking of others who have health challenges - kind of makes the whole fund raising for a cause / race makes sense.

Cindy - how was your 10k?

Patrick - good to be back! i did get my long run in. it was so good to get it over with. now i'm in taper mode where i can ease off before the marathon in 3 weeks. i'm excited that you signed up for houston! i might sign up for a bike thing! i love biking, but like my running, i just bike slowly (for one thing, i have mountain biking tires on my bike and my husband thinks i'm crazy for riding on the regular road with those tires). i'd be happy to share advice about marathons. let's see if i survive my next!

Jan had a birthday! but that's another thread...

It's great hearing from the rest of you. keep it up, or if you need to, get started again! wow, at least the weather (up here anyway) is getting cooler.

Have a great week! Check in soon. And I'll try to be better about that too. I can't believe I had been off the forum for so long.

Keri
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #517 on: September 27, 2010, 02:17:41 pm »

Cindy - how was your 10k?

Keri

It went really well, thanks!  Beautiful day and a great cause!  My friends & I have really only been doing about three miles lately, so were a bit nervous about the six.  However, we did ok.  We're supposed to start training for the next 1/2 marathon in a few weeks...my knee, hip and back are not so pleased, but, oh well...

Glad you did your long run!  I'm impressed that you can do it alone, I don't have the discipline to do the long miles (or even the short ones) by myself.  Need someone encouraging (ok, dragging) me along ;)  Though I never want to go out to do the miles, I never am sorry that I did them - always feel very good about it!

Hope everyone is starting their week off in a good way!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #518 on: September 27, 2010, 02:39:32 pm »
Cindy - great about the 10K!

i do have a training group i join for marathon training. you're right; it's too difficult to do every saturday morning crack of dawn runs (when you're not a morning person) that last a few hours on your own. the rest of the week i run on my own and it's SO hard for me to get motivated to get out the door for even a short run. in fact, i'm procrastinating even as i type!
but there are times when i do the long runs on my own. i never feel like doing it, but then, once you get going and once you're done, you feel so much better that you did. i used to run with an ipod but am less inclined now that i'm half deaf!

ok.... i've got to go run within the hour, or i'll be getting into dinner prep / have a glass of wine time.

where's jill marie? she used to yell at me!

keri

My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #519 on: September 27, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »
Good for you, Soundy! And I think it was neat that you were thinking of others who have health challenges - kind of makes the whole fund raising for a cause / race makes sense.

Shifting thoughts else where is about all that helps motivate me to move sometimes ... some days I think ... I have no reason to walk down the road , around the gym , etc etc ... walking for self doesn't always seem overly important ... I know that sounds dumb cause sometimes I am kinda dumb ..

today my shins hurt ... only lasting effect of not being ready to walk Saturday ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Jill Marie

« Reply #520 on: September 28, 2010, 10:59:44 pm »
Back from vacation, though some wouldn't call it that!  You are suppose to relax on vacation, aren't you?  As I mentioned before we planned on riding our bikes on the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho.  It's a 15 mile bike trail one way on an old railroad bed at a 1.6 percent grade.  We started at the bottom and went through a 1.77 mile tunnel at the top,  didn't like that part, it's pitch black, have to let your eyes adjust to the dark. As I was attempting to ride I started to panic, which caused me to weave from side to side then I was worried about hitting the ditch or the side of the tunnel.  I wasn't sure whether my slight balance issues, the darkness or my fear was causing the most problems for me, I'm guessing it was a combination, I did noticed that my mind played a big part in it and when I decided I was the only one that was going to get me out of there I rode better.  At first I decided I would walk my bike, no hurry because I was on vacation.  I was thinking it was only a mile which meant about a 20 minute walk, then I remembered it was almost 2 miles, didn't like the thought of being in the tunnel that long, I'm claustrophobic. About that time I noticed that I could see better, eyes adjusted to the dark, so I got back on the bike and started to get the heck out of there.  Was so relieved to see the end of the tunnel.  We ate some jerky and fruit as we rested at the end of the trail.  Then I had to go back through the tunnel, it wasn't as bad that time because I knew what to expect, but I still didn't like it.  When we got to the end of it I had a great feeling of accomplishment because I knew that if I hadn't pushed myself to ride more and try new things before our vacation I wouldn't have made it through the tunnel or up the trail for that matter.  I really liked the rest of the trail, beautiful scenery.  Took some great pictures!  Don't know how to post them, should have paid attention when others were told how to do it. 

Two days later we biked on the Coeur d'Alene Trail.  The bike trail is also built on an old train track bed but it's pretty much level unlike the Hiawatha and it's paved where the other trail is packed rock.  We rode 15 miles and back from our campsite on Thursday, some other riders told us about a moose they saw by the side of the trail so we kept our eyes peeled.  I spotted him crossing the trail then my husband heard him jump into the river.  We watched him swim across and go up the bank, when he shook you could see the gallons of water come off him.  We rode into a small town for supplies on Friday morning.  In the afternoon we rode over to the Old Mission which is the oldest building in Idaho.  On our way back we found a Geo-Cache.  Don't know if any of you have heard of them or not.  You use your GPS to find treasures people have hidden and you go on the Internet to get a clue as to what and where you are looking for it.  We got a travel bug from the Cache we found, it has a special number on it and you go on the Internet and find out where it has been and then you put it in a cache you make or in another one you find.  This one started out in Montana.  The cache we found had been hidden since 2005 not sure how long the sport has been around.  You sign your name in a notebook so you can read who was there and when.  Lots more details to it if you really want to get into it.  You can get a lot of exercise and have fun while doing so.  Since we found the cache on our bikes we are going to hide the travel bug while on our bikes so others can do the same.   Anyway, that day we totaled 27 miles for a total of 97 should have ridden 3 more for a nice round 100. 

Soundy - I understand shifting the thoughts to motivate you, that's what I did when I was in the tunnel, thought about those on the board that have problems riding a bike at all, figured I could push through it just to see what one can overcome.

Cindy - You and others have mentioned using the buddy system to keep you going.  My husband started riding his bike to work during Bike to Work week and has been riding by himself every day since then, 12 miles one way, don't know how he does it.  Thanks to him I started riding so we could  ride together on vacation.  I love riding now, was scared and wobbly at first but now have the need for speed, the faster I go the better I feel.  Just after my surgery I needed someone holding my hand when I left the house, I've come a long way baby!

Pat - Glad to hear you're still doing the marathon's is that both biking and running, I've read lots of your posts but right now my memory isn't doing me justice.  Perhaps I'm still tired from biking, he, he.  I can't imagine doing a marathon run, walking is about it, but perhaps one day a bike marathon.

Keri -  From what I've read you are doing pretty well with your marathon training so there's no need to yell at you, however, if you need some inspiration for your daily runs on your own I'm sure I can help you out, just let me know.  For now I will just let you find motivation in reading what everyone else has been doing.

We are having wonderful Fall weather so I've been walking the dogs, tomorrow I get back on the bike, hope everyone is having great Fall weather too so you can do whatever it is that make you happy!  Jill 8)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #521 on: September 29, 2010, 07:47:33 am »
so glad to see you again, jill!! that trail sounds so cool. the dark part, scary, yes but so glad you did it! where was it that you vacationed? i know you mentioned a lot of places but i don't know where any are.

i'm liking biking a lot too. if i ride my bike to the store, i find when i go in to buy one or two items, i really just buy one or two items. usually, when i go in for a couple of things and have my car, i spend $100 +.

i have a friend in my running group who recently had a bike accident. she had a new bike and just took it for a short ride, had an accident, hit her head and got a skul fracture, bleeding in the brain, etc. wow, that kind of scared me. i'm riding more and always wear a helmet, but i can't imagine knocking the AN side of my head (or messing up the good side of my head)! we are able to share now about balance, headaches, hearing loss and MRI's. she is recovering but can't run for a while.

SO - i hope everyone who is riding out there is wearing a helmet!
patrick does a lot of distance on bikes (he always does an annual fund raiser for MS where he bikes like, a gazillion miles). but he's also going to do a running marathon. 26.2 of sheer joy! well, not quite.

i hope everyone's having a good week. i really need to run today... i really need to run today... before it gets to late... before it gets too late... sorry, i need to keep telling myself this so maybe i'll do it. right now i'm buried in work / kid / school paperwork. yuck.

keri
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #522 on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:27 pm »
Welcome back, Jill Marie!  Very impressed w/ all that bike riding - I still haven't really tried riding (mainly because I don't have a bike), but my knees might be much happier if I'd get one?

Hope your friend will be ok soon, Keri - very scary!

Biggest Loser has started back up and I'm inspired!  I told my training buddies that we are not working nearly hard enough...need to kick it up a notch or two or three...they did not agree ::)  I do, however, need to get back to doing some weights...still been going to Curves a couple of times a week, but it's just not the same as free weights, I don't think, anyway.

Yes, the weather is awesome right now - get out and take advantage while you can!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #523 on: September 29, 2010, 02:27:28 pm »
The twelve-week Body for Life challenge that I have joined starts Monday. It is sponsored by the PE teacher at my son's school, and there are 53 people participating.

I have been trained on the equipment at the brand-spanking-new YMCA close to my home for early morning cardio workouts, as they are supposed to be done before breakfast. I am more comfortable with the weight machines at the older Y near the school, so I will for the time being still do my weight lifting there.

I'm looking forward to the challenge. I don't think the diet will be too bad, especially with a free day each week, but I am a little apprehensive about the workouts. I recognize that I need a shake-up, though, and this looks it will definitely do that.

There's a lot of info at www.bodyforlife.com if anyone is interested in starting along with me. The challenge runs through Christmas Day.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #524 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »
have yet to upload heart walk pictures to photo bucket ... it is sooooooooooo slow with dial up

but great news ... it was announced at school Friday that we won the fitness trail package ... it is a row of stations that will go along edge of play ground ... pull up bars , a slant board for sit ups and a set of  steps to walk in place up and down and around and do it again ... there were a couple other stations that I don't remember what

today for exercise I helped round up cows , separate out calves and vaccinate them or black leg  ... I am back to being the best cutter we on the place ... still not as quick as I once was , but didn't fall or get plowed over by 1000 plus pound cows or a calf that range from 2 weeks olds weighing around 70 pounds up to 5-6 months old weighing in at 500 -600 lbs ... so calling the day a success ... did use walking stick th whole time to balance on uneven ground and to swing at cows ... didn't hit any but poked a few reluctant calves to urge them down the chute for their shot  ;D ...

stick made a world of difference in how tired my legs got from muscles tightening constantly to keep balance ...with the third leg meant less tightening so fewer aches and pains ... I should be less hardheaded about carrying one ... I think a set of ski poles to walk up hills would be great ... down hills that are uneven and of any length are still an issue ... can't get past the tipping forward feeling ...have learned I can come off hill behind the house sidestepping my way down ... steep and about a 2 /10 th of a mile walk from top of hill to chicken pen behind the house ... I rode 4x4 truck off to measure it a couple weeks ago   ;D ... I am thinking that giving time I will be able to hike the farm again without the need of anyone along for company ( read that as to pick me up or go for help) ... I like solitude when walking and for some reason don't like walking on the road , even alone ... not that I see many people on our narrow country road in the boonies ...I just like woods and cows for company walking not blacktop
Translab July 2 ,2007