Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418870 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #495 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:41 pm »
Hey Ms Priscilla!  Did you not get my phone message - I left it on what I thought was your machine at home!!   ;D ??? ???

Days are L-O-N-G - I leave at 7 every morning and hang out over there all day - I got home tonight at almost 9 with Chic-fil-A in hand!! I try to go to different stores to go to the bathroom so that I am not on the same security tapes all the time as "the homeless woman using the facilities!"  ;)

House almost finished!  I'll try to call you tomorrow or you can giv me a ding!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
Kaybo,
I am back, but still dragging from all the activity.  The camping trip was a once in a lifetime experience, meaning that I loved every minute of it but probably won't sign up to do it again! :D  I am so-o-o-o enjoying flush toilets and hot showers since we left the ranch. I will send you the link to my album in a PM.  I am proud of myself for stepping outside my comfort zone and doing something that I was so not suited for!. I rode a horse a minimum of 4 hours a day, sometimes as much as 8......and I don't know how to ride. :)  Making a treasured friend happy in the process was the real bonus.  This was her dream trip, and it was definitely worth all the saddle sores to be with her.
I am trying to talk myself into getting back on the treadmill, but I may put it off just one more day.
Let me know if you need someone to hang out with during the day!  I have a few things on my agenda, but not a lot right now.

Cowgirl Priscilla
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:40:20 am by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2010, 10:21:10 am »
Lower body weights today plus 30 minutes on recumbent bike.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #498 on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »
30 minutes on the recumbent bike plus upper body, abs and back weights.

Three for three in September, need to keep it going over the birthday/holiday weekend. Also starting South Beach with my husband and eldest daughter on Monday.

I'm planning on lean and toned by the holidays.

Sara

P.S. All those user meeting sticky notices are dropping topics off the first page awfully quick. I hope lots of people are able to attend.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #499 on: September 03, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »
Am working out religiously myself these days - one of the upsides of not having a job - just got back from the gym.  I've also been eating less (probably depression - will keep an eye on that).

Running, biking, and weight lifting definitely help with the stress and I'm hopeful I'll be able to drop the rest of the weight I need to drop.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #500 on: September 03, 2010, 01:24:39 pm »
I've also been eating less (probably depression - will keep an eye on that).

Please do keep an eye on that. My MIL has lost 70 pounds since my FIL died in 2008. Not that she didn't need to, but it has not been a healthy way to lose. At least now if she falls under my watch (which did happen once on her front porch in the middle of winter), I should be able to help her get back up.

But I digress. We want you fit and HAPPY, Jan, not thin but depressed. And, by the way, I think you are looking really good in your recent pics.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #501 on: September 04, 2010, 06:43:02 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, Sara.

I AM happy - in some ways happier than I've been in a very long time.

The job loss is the only dark thing on my horizon.  It threw me for a loop - haven't been unemployed for 36 years and being with the same employer for 25 of those years didn't lessen the blow. 

Most days I'm good, but on occasion the stress gets to me and I wonder about my future.  But that said, I've been through hard times before - hell, I had brain surgery - and managed to land on my feet.  I'm strong and I need to remember that. 

I think what I'm going through is perfectly normal, but it's kind of like my AN Journey; I need to be aware that depression may become an issue and I need to recognize it if it does - and then do something about it.

I appreciate the vote of confidence,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #502 on: September 05, 2010, 05:42:23 pm »
Jan, didn't know you were out of work?  Sorry to hear that - best of luck to you on your search for something else.  Perhaps it will end up being better than the one you had!

Priscilla, I have been wanting to ride a horse for years...glad to know you did well on one.  That is on my very long To-Do List for this Fall. 

Have been in NY since Wed, so no official excercising since then, but we certainly walked many miles while up there.  Plan to get back on the path on Tue.

Keep it up, everyone!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #503 on: September 05, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »
Thanks Cindy!  It was meant to be a chance to do something a little out of my comfort zone, and I can tell you it was definitely a success in that regard. :D  I think, with enough practice, I could be an adequate rider, but never an instinctive or natural rider. I did use a lot of muscles that don't get exercised very often!

Now I need to get back into my routine and get back on the treadmill.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #504 on: September 15, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »
The gym teacher at my son's school is assembling a group for a 12-week Body for Life challenge starting the first week in October and running through Christmas. There were nearly 50 people at her informational meeting, but I doubt if that many people follow through. My 22-year-old daughter and I are participating.

It's both a nutrition and exercise regimen and I am in need of a shake-up in my routine. If anyone is interested, there is lots of information (including a forum) at www.bodyforlife.com. If I have as amazing a transformation as they show on the website, I'll post my pics here. (Don't hold your breath.)

Sara

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #505 on: September 15, 2010, 02:02:55 pm »
Saralynn -

Body for Life is an amazing program.  I purchased the book years ago, but never followed through on the nutrition and exercise regimen - which kind of defeated the entire purpose of purchasing the book  ::)

I've often wished I had followed through - instead of just donating the book to my local library.

Good luck to you and your daughter.  I think if you are partners in this it will help a lot.

Jan

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #506 on: September 15, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »
It's absolutely easier to stay motivated when you have buddies. One of the reasons I am struggling now is that the group I used to hang out with at the Y has broken up and gone their separate ways. We used to get together every weekday at 8:00 rain or shine. Now one is living in the UAE, one moved to Washington state, and two get up at the crack of dawn to go running. It's just not as much fun to go in and lift by myself. Some of us still get together once in a while for coffee, but it's not the same.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #507 on: September 15, 2010, 09:25:20 pm »
BFL is a great program. Dave did it for a good while once...I just cooked and ate the food. I have the cookbook & we still make some of the recipes because we like them so much!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #508 on: September 16, 2010, 07:08:32 am »
It's absolutely easier to stay motivated when you have buddies. One of the reasons I am struggling now is that the group I used to hang out with at the Y has broken up and gone their separate ways. We used to get together every weekday at 8:00 rain or shine. Now one is living in the UAE, one moved to Washington state, and two get up at the crack of dawn to go running. It's just not as much fun to go in and lift by myself. Some of us still get together once in a while for coffee, but it's not the same.

Sara

Agree wholeheartedly!  No way could I do the long training miles without my three buddies!  Knowing they are on the trail waiting for me is often the only thing that gets me out there.  I feel very fortunate to have them.  It's tough to get a group who can be on the same schedule.  Glad you're going to be able to do the BFL program with your daughter (and group).  Will be anxious to hear how it goes for you guys.

I'm doing a 10K on Sat...should be awesome weather, so actually looking forward to it 8)

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #509 on: September 16, 2010, 10:52:55 am »
the school has started a new program that is sponsored by the NFL ... will have to get the name later ...it is to try to get kids moving at least 60 minutes a day every day ... we already have walking works at our school sponsored by BCBS and every child walks at least a mile each week rain or shine ... we have an assistant that walks them in a study hall period by class each week ...

this new program has them playing as teams against each other in various sports with a day of play offs each 6 week grading period where every class plays at some point in the day and play offs last period ... last Friday it was out first tourney day and they played flag football and every student played ... next day it is going to be dodge ball ... other planned days for year are basketball , kickball and softball ... one study hall each week teams will have practice and also practice during their gym time each week ... each class only has a gym once a week ... this will give them the equivalent of 2 days of gym a week ...

several of us are participating by helping at practices and on tourney days ... this will add a little extra to my routine which with dad in hospital has kinda falling apart but still trying ...been moving alot but not in any orderly fashion ...need to get back on some sort of schedule ...have lost 3 pounds in last month which is better than the 2 pound gain I had on previous weigh in
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery