Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420989 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #480 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »
I hit the treadmill a little too hard today and have shin splints to show for it. Ouch. Looks like it's time for a new pair of shoes.

Jan, my middle daughter started high school this year too. She took summer classes and played with the basketball team in a summer league so she has actually been getting acclimated since June. She's really thriving there. My son is happy to be the only one in middle school. He just turned thirteen, so we have two teenagers in the house now. Their schools are only a couple of blocks apart and half a mile from the YMCA where I work out, so I go immediately after dropping them off. Otherwise I don't seem to be able to get there.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #481 on: August 24, 2010, 08:45:42 pm »
I've been forced out of exercise retirement!  I've been hit hard by a couple of really bad colds this summer that just zapped my energy.  Finally got to feeling better then my Hubby decided that we should bike the Hiawatha Trail on our vacation so I figured I best change from walking to riding.  The Hiawatha Trail is 15 miles one way and he wants to do it both ways.  It's built on an old railroad track.  I started walking the dogs every evening for about 45 minutes but decided tonight to walk them half the time then head out on the bike.  Got about 20 minutes out and got a flat, 40 minute walk home.  Tired but should be in better shaped.  Walking muscles and biking muscles aren't the same so I best get back on the bike and ride, tomorrow, of course.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

cindyj

« Reply #482 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:34 am »
Still been doing our "pool aerobics" fairly regularly and supplementing with a mile or two jog/walks.  Pool closes Labor Day, so we don't have many more days of that left.  Was so nice, will really miss it! Tennis season starts next week, though, so looking forward to that.

Brad & I continue to take dance lessons - suppose we're burning a couple of calories that way?  We have not improved much (if at all), but still having a great time doing it!  As soon as I can get one of those beautiful outfits like they wear on So You Think You Can Dance, I know my dancing will improve dramatically :D

Jill, that Hiawatha Trail sounds great!  Hope you have no more flat tires!  When are you guys doing that?

Keep up your exercise of choice, all!  Holidays and all the calories that go with them will be here before we know it!

Cindy

(Sara and Jan, sent my second (and last one) to his first year of college last week...very strange...have a bit of a whole in my chest...)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #483 on: August 25, 2010, 12:43:54 pm »
my lovely 11 year old reminded me that today her oldest brother was turning 32  :o ... then said to me Boy you are getting old Mom  >:( ... I thought about dropping her off along the road and letting her walk the rest of the way to school but it was foggy and she didn't have her  tail lights with her
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jeanlea

« Reply #484 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:33 pm »
Good to hear about everyone's exercises.  Now that the weather is cooler it's easier to get out there.  After reading this I may be motivated to run tonight, but I really do love the biking. I have a 8 mile route that I do now.  Gotta do that before the snow flies.  Although my daughter gives me grief about not running.  She's became a runner this past year.  After finishing college last May she accepted a teaching position for this school year, but will live at home for a year to save up money for a house of her own.  Brought our son back to Michigan State for his junior year and our baby boy will be a senior in high school.  I was feeling old until I saw Soundy's comment.  :-)

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Kaybo

« Reply #485 on: August 25, 2010, 07:02:29 pm »
I just keep gaining & gaining but...

Addi made the volleyball team!  I am so proud of her - I had my doubts since she hasn't played much and I found out that there were 84 girls trying out for 24 spots!!  It makes our days a little more crazy but it is worth it - seeing her face and hearing the excitement in her voice!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #486 on: August 25, 2010, 07:07:18 pm »
That's fabulous Kay -- and surely a great way to jump in and meet new friends at a new school.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #487 on: August 25, 2010, 07:28:20 pm »
I thought that was a good way to meet people too - for her AND me!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeanlea

« Reply #488 on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:42 pm »
Kay,

Congrats to Addi for making the volleyball team.  It will fun for both of you. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #489 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:01 am »
my lovely 11 year old reminded me that today her oldest brother was turning 32  :o ... then said to me Boy you are getting old Mom  >:( ... I thought about dropping her off along the road and letting her walk the rest of the way to school but it was foggy and she didn't have her  tail lights with her

Loved it thank you for the laugh today I needed that..... Make sure now you have the tail lights always in the trunk !
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jill Marie

« Reply #490 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:02 pm »
Glad to see the thread still going strong!  

Sara - Wish I could make myself go to the gym, really need to do the upper body weights too, just can't seem to make myself do it when it's so nice out and the dogs look so sad if I don't walk them

Jan - Was so surprised to read about the kids being in school, still want it to be Summer, have lots of summer things on my to do list

Jean - I agree that reading this and of course having someone in the family that keeps a regular work out schedule really gets you going

Kay - Isn't it written somewhere that if your child exercises, you get some benefit from that as the child came from you therefore is a part of you and that means some part of you exercised, so encourage her to continue the volleyball

Cindy - I didn't like reading that the pool is about to close as it's another reminder that Summer is almost gone.  Please keep dancing whether you get that beautiful dress or not and whether you are good at it or not because when you mention your dancing I imagine you dancing and having a great time.  

I rode my bike again and got another flat, my husband fixed it, I threatened to leave it on the bike trail if it happened again. I'm now riding a different bike. The night after the 2nd flat we had a windstorm that made it impossible for me to ride, to much dust in the air.  Tonight I came home, dried a load of clothes while making a dinner that would keep while I rode my bike.  Headed out and ran into my husband riding home from work, we rode a bit longer then headed for home, without a flat, yea!  We will be riding the Hiawatha Trail around Sept. 20th.  We will be on vacation so it depends on the weather, we're really hoping it doesn't rain as we would like to do some hiking as well.  As I mentioned before the Trail was built on an old railroad track.  Last year over 33,000 mountain bikers rode the trail.  The trail goes through several tunnels and over 3 trestles, one tunnel is 1.7 miles long.  The rail was built in 1906 and in 1910 there was a fire that destroyed the trestles and burned thousands of acres of forest. They rebuilt the trestles and the railroad ran until the late 70's. This year was the 100th anniversary of the fire, they wrote several articles in the local paper.  They told us how the engineers rode the rails to find people stranded by the fires and how they drove the trains over burning trestles so the could stop the trains in the tunnels to wait out the fires.   The fire is stilled called the biggest fire in the entire US. I will take my camera and hopefully figure out how to post a picture or two of the trail.  Jill

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:04:42 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

« Reply #491 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:20 am »
I think I am going to steal one of the girls bikes ...

used to have a mountain bike with 10,000 gears and loved it ... when got to point couldn't ride it I sold it ... the girls bikes are new but they wanted old reproductions of the old one speed Huffy's and my legs get tired pretty quick ... and I have to stick on training wheel on one to ride and not fall ... can balance on wheels but tip to right occasionally ...

there is a walking /horse trail on old railroad bed that starts down in Athens Alabama and runs north up into out county ...I would love to ride it but they closed it to bike traffic except for several  times a year when it open to bikes only , because bike riders were scaring horses and almost running over people ... sad that a few discourteous riders ruined it for all bikers ...  and the bike days are crazy and dangerous when the crazy riders come out and make it non enjoyable to others  >:(
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #492 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »
gotta get pain in legs and feet under control ...didn't make it to mail box before turning around ... that was a grand total of about 400 feet walking ...there's tomorrow right
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2010, 06:36:35 pm »
Kaybo,
If you need help with kids' schedules , you know you can call on me!  I am REALLY proud of Ms. Addie.  How are all of you doing now that school has started?
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #494 on: September 01, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »
I went to the gym this morning even though I did not want to. I did not have a lot of time, so did 25 minutes on an elliptical training and upper body weghts. My goal is to either go to the gym or do Wii Fit every day in September.

My eldest daughter and I are starting South Beach Monday. We would each like to drop about 10 pounds and I think between tightening up my diet and being more consistent with exercise that is a goal I can accomplish.

Elbee started basketball conditioning this week. Four days a week of weights and conditioning after school. If she can keep it up, so can I.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09