Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420957 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2010, 06:31:55 am »
I have foregone the popcorn on the healthcare reform thread - although the idea of caramel corn was very tempting.

I'm actually finally (after many years) back into a better eating/exercise routine.

I've been hitting the gym 6 out of 7 days and am down about 12 pounds  ;D

I have more energy, I feel great, my clothes are fitting better - and it's actually not as hard as I imagined.

Some days are a struggle, but all in all I find if I skip a day of exercise that I really miss it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #301 on: March 31, 2010, 07:02:29 am »
Keri, I agree with Kaybo and DI-Jill. I know you really wanted to do this marathon, but if you feel you're not quite ready for it, don't do it. You are definitely not a slacker. You are still doing more than 99% of the people out there with the running you are doing. Could you switch to a half marathon for this event? I know you could do that pretty easily. You have inspired all of us by starting this thread and keeping it going. Whatever you decide, we're there to support you.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

texsooner

« Reply #302 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:38 am »
Jan, great job on the weight loss and you're new routine.....keep it going.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #303 on: March 31, 2010, 08:28:12 am »
Keri  , I knew that the 5K would be bad for me ... me and the sun don't get along and I end up itchy and scaly if I am out to long ... it was a beautiful day but I needed clouds ... if you know the marathon is not going to be positive skip it and continue training so you are ready when it will be a positive thing for you ...

I need to get motivated and join curves or  Victory Gym ... a gym created by a friend so women would have a place other than Golds and the men that go and sit around watching women and doing little in way of exercise ... she and her 2 sons were murderd last fall by a kid that was pissed off becasue her 16 year old had started going out with his former girl friend ... I like Victory better but can't go in there with out seeing her and her 2 boys ... I just can't get going and get to either one ... my 12 year old would benefit as we are no longer going to PT witrh her legs as it was costing $200 plus a week out of pocket and can't afford to go ... they use alot of the same machines ... I need to make her my motivation ...

yay for weight loss ... I lost some then doctor had to give me steroids (shot , pills and cream ) for sun rash ... and I have gained all I lost plus 2 back ...  :(

I told my husband I was gonna go on a all vegetable , no butter , no meat diet and pull off weight.... just raw vegetables and water ... he's so sweet ... he told me that cows are total vegetarians except for a few  bugs ingested with their grass , weeds and hay ... they walk all day spending 16 -20 hours moving around ... he then adds they eat raw veggies all the time and weigh a thousand pounds or more ...  >:( ...

if you hear of a Mid South Tennessee Farmer  ground up and fed to his dogs it is probably Bo ...

Didn't get a walk in at school ..have to pick up the girls so will try to go in a little early and walk before they get out ... bright and sunny today and coach is taking classes out side today and said I could have the gym all day if I wanted it
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #304 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:39 am »
Soundy, have you ever heard of the Allergy Elimination diet? I followed it for a while in an attempt to lessen hemifacial spasms. It didn't work for that, but I lost 25 pounds in six weeks (bear in mind I was on Topamax at the same time which also likely had an effect).

It is also referred to as the Cave Man Diet or Raw Foods Diet. It's challenging to stick to this diet, but it is very effective and may have other health benefits as well. See http://www.drcranton.com/elimination_diet.htm

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #305 on: March 31, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »
Okay slow and steady wins the race right? Puff - puff - puff - wheeze and falling down!!! Believe it or not but I got my lazy butt on the treadmill.

Two weeks ago I took a coaches training course for Girls on the Run http://www.girlsontherun.com/. I am coaching at the school I teach. I did run but after my surgery I let it go. Excuses - too tired - other things like cleaning needed to be done- no time... i could go on and on. Finally I thought ~ I gotta get my  lazy butt moving ~ and this is how I became motivated - coaching children.

I will keep you posted and whine to you when my muscles hurt. Upside - I got new running shoes and they are sooo pretty AND pink. They have a breast cancer ribbon on them. I like them, I think they may make me run faster. Okay maybe not but that's what I tell my little kindergarten children. hehe
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jill Marie

« Reply #306 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:41 pm »
Lori, That will be PEELING POTATOES WHILE RUNNING! :o

Where's this popcorn eating thread at, I must join, had some last night while watching tv, can do that but can't do much on the Internet, have an appointment with the eye doc. tomorrow to SEE what's going on.  Gotta go, headache starting!  Jill

P.S. Have been walking, distance vision fine. 
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #307 on: March 31, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »
Way to go Michelle!!  Are your shoes HOT PINK New Balance - that is what I have and they SGK ones with a ribbon...

JM - I don't do popcorn but I added OREO's...HOPEFULLY, I can start back at the gym soon - next week is the 1st week of the month when I have all my meetings.  Monday morning I will be taking my in-laws to the airport and then have a luncheon as I have been nominated for Volunteer of the Year for our school district (city).  Maybe Tuesday??  Hope you get some help from the eye doctor - it has been pretty quiet around here...  ;D

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #308 on: March 31, 2010, 08:12:37 pm »
Michelle we are proud of you!

I don't have pink ribbon shoes but I do have a cool pair of black Nikes with a hot pink swoosh. I also have breast cancer socks and sports bra as well as a fun tee shirt that says "Fight Like a Girl."

Kids are on spring break so gym is iffy but we will be house cleaning fools for the next couple of days. These kids aren't going to know what hit them.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #309 on: March 31, 2010, 10:26:51 pm »
thanks everyone for the marathon advice / support. we'll see how it goes saturday with a long run (or lack of long run which means no marathon)!

jan - so glad for you. your last two sentences should be the 'quote for the day' in the runners world magazine...
"I have more energy, I feel great, my clothes are fitting better - and it's actually not as hard as I imagined."  "Some days are a struggle, but all in all I find if I skip a day of exercise that I really miss it." from jan's post; i just don't know how to put it in one of those blue boxes! these kind of quotes help keep me going.

michelle - so glad you're on here too now.
kay - if they'd let me vote, i'd sure vote for you for volunteer of the year!
thanks cindy for the mid week motivation. 
sara - i just can't picture you in your nice pink hat running over people in the bleachers!

i have a hard time peeling potatoes, so to do that while running would be a challenge indeed. but probably good for my vestibular system, or something like that.
have a good week everyone !
keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #310 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:00 am »
I got new New Balance shoes a week or two ago ...they are the only brand of shoe I wear  ... didn't see any SGK ones or would have got them ...mine are just light gray with aqua details ...

didn't walk this morning ... just didn't ...no good excuse ... or even a bad one

maybe this evening I will walk down the road to check beaver dam progress and inspect their swamp ... a neighbor has beavers that he has tried for 5 years to run off and gave up ...iit's about 1/2 a mile from house ... good walk and I like the swamp /marsh they have created ...rarely see them but see the herons and red wing black birds that come to the new habitat they have made ...Bo is scared snakes are there ... I have yet to see one in the actual swamp but see water snakes and moccasins in the creek that feed it ...a snake would be good for exercise routine ... one would induce running  :D

I have been making purple friendship knots  out of 1/4 inch ribbon this morning and my eyes think they are gonna fall out ... we will wear them at Relay For Life In June ... need 45 purple

a bunch of the kids at school want them that are black and purple in honor of our 7th and 8th grade history teacher that we lost to lung cancer about 6 weeks ago ... our Mr T shirts for the Relay ( our school team is walking in honor of him ) are black with gray design on them ... an electric guitar piercing a heart and it has a favorite song title of his ... Tom Petty's ,  I Won't Back Down  ... it became his theme song in his fight for life ... a great teacher and sorely missed ... the kids want black for mourning and the purple for hope ... as of this morning I need 75 for kids so making 200 ... I know our kids ... when one has something they all want it ... better to be ready for them than have to make more in a rush

also had a woman give me pink ribbon to make some for breast cancer awareness ... they need 50

we are off next week for spring break and I want to have them for the kids when we go back to school on the 12th ... gonna make getting tied up in knots my excuse next week when I miss doing my walking ...  ;D

Translab July 2 ,2007

Jill Marie

« Reply #311 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:14 pm »
Hi all,  glad to see so many posting and reporting on there exercise accomplishments.

Kaybo - Went to the eye doc. today, said the prescription he gave me is fine, made suggestion on changes to the glasses, won't bother with the details.  Anyway, I have new glasses ordered and have my fingers crossed that they work this time.  In the meantime I'm back to the old ones which make it hard for me to type, which is why I wanted new ones.  So, you guys get a continued reprieve from the Drill Instructor.  Congrats on your Volunteer of the Year nomination, that's no small feat, you should be very proud of it.  :)

Michelle - Welcome, pink is my favorite color so I think you should run by my place and leave me your shoes!

Since Easter is this Sunday I say that we should all HOP like a BUNNY RABBIT for the next few days, great way to get some exercise, or WADDLE like a DUCK, if the HOPPING is to much!  Happy Easter all!  Jill

P.S.  I use to get even,
       now I'm odd!!

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

cindyj

« Reply #312 on: April 02, 2010, 11:09:39 am »
Bo is scared snakes are there ... I have yet to see one in the actual swamp but see water snakes and moccasins in the creek that feed it ...a snake would be good for exercise routine ... one would induce running  :D

Just reading this makes my blood pressure go up!  I'm with Bo - they are there, alright!  This time of year is especially tough for me as I know all those baby snakes are popping out of their shells and their moms are around somewhere...oh, I'm getting myself all worked up...ugh...I do hate them :-[

Everyone keep up the good work - Jan, think you get the gold star this week!  All of you enjoy the holiday weekend.  Jill, I'll definitely need to do the waddle thing rather than the hop thing - knees can't handle the hopping...but I'll need to do something to offset the chocolate bunnies and Peeps that I know I'll be eating - yum ;D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
Thanks Kaybo, Saralynn and Jill!

Kaybo sounds like you have a busy life! do the girls have Girls on the Run at their school? Anyone can bring it to the school. You don't need to be a teacher to be involved. They offer the coach training for free. go on You Tube and check out the founder - Molly Barker - very inspiring.
Saralynn I love your fight like a girl shirt I laughed out loud.
Jill I am a sharing girl so when I am not using my shoes you can - hey what size are your feet?

No tread mill today - I cleaned the garage and that is a workout in itself! Yawn and now to hiding eggs!
Happy Easter my friends!
Michelle  :P
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Soundy

« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2010, 08:51:28 pm »
I don't know how I missed the Fight Like A Girl t-shirt comment ...We had those last year that are chocolate brown and the writing and ribbon on them are pink... and at the mall last week we found Yellow Box flip flops that are chocolate brown with pink flowers that match the shirts perfectly ...

Cindy .... I learned that if I don't look for snakes I don't find them  ;D ...  Bo see them more cause he is looking ... I know they are there and am cautious where there are rocks for them to hide in or around also cautious of the tall grass along water edge , but other than that go about my business and they go about theirs ...

I have spent the day trailing after a baby and I will be glad when her mom or dad comes and retrieves her so I can finish getting ready for tomorrows invasion ... I am counting baby chasing as  my exercise for the day ... I am not sure how I have survived 6 kids ...well I guess I should say survived 4 since I am still trying to survive the girls ... her dad is one of my twins and she is as much a handful as the two of them were ... or I may just be getting old
Translab July 2 ,2007