Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420394 times)

texsooner

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »
Lori, my son having the surgery is 18. He's been waiting awhile to have this surgery as it's quite an ordeal. It was a 7 hour surgery where they basically had to break his upper and lower jaw to realign his bite (out of alignment was caused by bike accident when he was 5 yrs old). It was successful, but he'll have to go 6 to 8 weeks with no solid food. From the surgery, he has titanium plates and screws to hold the fractures together....guess he was jealous of the titanium in my head  :). Poor guy's face is all swollen, face is numb, and he has been very nauseous. Hopefully he'll feel better and can get out of hospital tomorrow.

Back on topic.....I managed to sneak out for a 4 mile run around Rice Univ on a nice running track just across from the med center area here. First mile was tough as I've still got some of that cruddy congestion, but felt pretty good at the end. Hope everyone is able to do something active this weekend.....stay safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

cindyj

« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2010, 08:22:44 pm »
Patrick, my son had a very similar surgery about 4 years ago, just the lower jaw, though...all sorts of nice titanium in his head!  He did much better than I would have thought and certainly much better than I would have done with eating mush for eight weeks.  He had non-stop mashed up fish stix, mushed mac n cheese and milk shakes that whole summer.  What a happy day it was when he could bite into a great big hamburger!  I hope it will go well for your son - these first couple of days are the worst.  But, the young heal and bounce back so nicely!

...did my 3 mile jog/walk/jog today...didn't want to, but my training buddies were out there waiting on me, so off I went.  I'm SO very grateful to them!  Everyone plan to start your week out with a bang and hit the gym or your favorite sidewalk on Monday ;D

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jill Marie

« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »
Pat - Good to hear from you!  Sorry the plane trip home didn't treat you very well especially since you were coming home to your sons surgery.  I'm sure you wanted to be at your best while watching over him.  Glad you got in a run, as you've said before it helps with the stress and worry.  I can't imagine not being able to eat solid food for weeks, having others around you eating normally would be really hard.  Hopefully time goes by fast for your son and the rest of your family so he can dig into his favorite foods again.  I'm guessing that just having the jaw like it should be will be a great reward in it's self.

Lori- You should have gotten plenty of exercise between watching the kids and swapping the deck so you should be ready to go this week.

Cindy - Those training buddies sure are great aren't they, when I don't want to walk either the dogs or my hubby want to and when I get going I'm glad I did. 

Phyl - Glad you were able to take the dogs for a walk.  Hubby & I walked to the grocery store today with our dogs, like to have a destination in mind when we head out, gets us going.  Then since it was so nice out and our legs felt pretty good we headed to the Centennial Trail, the trail runs about 30 miles and you can get on it several places throughout the city.  We saw lots of people out there, looks like Spring is on it's way. 

Hope everyone has a great week! Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2010, 07:27:33 am »
Weight Watchers, what can I say?  I've done it more than once - lost a lot of weight too, but always gained it back and then some  :(  We're doing Weight Watchers at work which makes it very convenient and my employer picks up $100 of the $156 fee, so I figured why not.

Major jaw reconstruction surgery.  My nephew had it about 3 years ago.  Not a small "event" by any means, but the results are phenominal.  Good luck to your son, Patrick.

Been overdoing it at the gym; feels great, but I need to slow down.

Has anyone gotten a pair of those Shape-Up shoes made by Skechers?  I purchased a pair this weekend and I wore them yesterday for a 2-mile walk.  I noticed that my balance was very "interesting", but it may have just been lack of sleep or my sore knees from running.  Anyone else have them?  Any balance issues?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2010, 08:56:37 am »
Started my morning with 25 minutes of interval training on the treadmill, moved to the recumbent bike for an additional 25 minutes, then a lower body workout.

Jan, I have seen those shoes advertised at our mall, but have not tried them nor do I know anyone other than you who has. My gym group was discussing "barefoot running shoes" the other day (see http://barefootrunningshoes.org/vibram-fivefingers/) but none of us has tried any of these either. I don't think I would like having my toes separated, but maybe the Nike or New Balance shoe would feel better. Doesn't much matter, I don't have the spare cash for a pair of these anyway.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »
Jan, I would have loved to have seen your "interesting" balance!   Once again, could have gotten exercise laughing!   :D

Patrick, hope your son is doing well.  I had a friend who had similar surgery many years ago and she had good results.  We thought we were in for 6 weeks of quiet, but no such luck!   :D

Got my exercise playing taxi driver all day today.  Some day I'll have an hour to myself....someday.....   :-\  I was hoping with the extra hour of daylight, I'd be able to get out and run, but so far, no luck.  Hubby is fixing his truck (which will save me from the aforementioned taxi driving), so unless I want to run carrying a 3 year old on my back, I think I'm out of luck.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »
Hubby is fixing his truck (which will save me from the aforementioned taxi driving), so unless I want to run carrying a 3 year old on my back, I think I'm out of luck.

Now that would give me exercise laughing  :D

Sara -

I'll have to check out the barefoot running shoes; I've never heard of them.  I saw a woman at the fitness center yesterday running in her socks, but I'm not sure that would be right for me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanlea

« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »
Seems like we are all busy with some type of exercising.  Running with a three year old on your back.  That could catch on!  :-) 

Patrick, hope that son is doing better.

Jan, any good tips from WW?  I belong several years ago.  Lost the weight and then got the AN and gained it back plus a little more.

The weather has been nice here lately.  Yesterday I went for my first bike ride.  Just under 6 miles.  Today I rode my bike home from work which was about 8 miles.  I have a ways to go before I'm ready for the 50 miles day for my summer bike trip.

I'm on day 43 of exercising every day now and still haven't lost more than 2 pounds!  Gotta stop the hand to mouth exercising!

Keep up the exercising!

Jea
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:44 pm »
I'm on day 43 of exercising every day now and still haven't lost more than 2 pounds!  Gotta stop the hand to mouth exercising!

Wow Jean, keep up the good work.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:41 pm »
Good evening!  I'm only able to post because I had my nap this afternoon!

Jan - That's pretty cool that your employer pays most of your WW fees, is that to balance out the company barbecue?  Working out a lot is good but like you say you might want to slow down a bit, we over did the walk yesterday and boy did I feel it at work today.  Never heard of the Shape Up Shoes, I need some new shoes as my walking shoes are worn out so I've been using my work shoes which has lead to foot issues.  Will check them out.

Sara - Looks like I'm going to have to get busy to catch up with you, I only did 30 minutes on the bike today, that was after my nap in my pickup in front of the gym.

Lori - I tried to do some exercises via laughing this evening but my favorite shows are reruns which ticked me off, is venting exercising?

Jean - No what you mean about loosing weight and gaining with the AN, I lost around 25 pounds a year before the tumor and like you gained it all back.  Way to go on exercising everyday, even though you haven't lost a lot you must feel pretty good. 

The daylight saving time really messed with my sleeping schedule, couldn't get to sleep last night, hopefully I can sleep better tonight, I'm going to give it a try now.  Don't want to have to nap again tomorrow!  Keep up the good work! Jill

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

texsooner

« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2010, 05:57:39 am »
Thanks for all the thoughts on my son. Got him home late Sunday from the hospital, but he's still feeling pretty rough. He's still very swollen and sore and only able to take small amounts of liquids thru a syringe.

Did manage to do a 6 mile run Sunday. Also, I took a day off work yesterday to help out with my son, and managed to do a 50 mile bike ride that I really needed for training for the upcoming MS150 bike ride.  Thanks very much to my wife (who is doing a tremendous job caring for our son) to allow me to go do that. Weather and health willing, I'll be doing 80 to 100 miles a week bike training weekly until the MS150 in mid-April.

Great job to everyone that I've been reading about on their exercise....keep it up.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2010, 06:00:22 am »
My son is sick today. Bummer. I will need to break out the Wii Fit.

Patrick, I hope your son feels better soon. I bet he is going to be losing weight and if he's anything like my kids does not need to lose any.

Jill, a nap in the pickup? Doesn't that wreak havoc on your back?

Have a great day, everyone.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:35 am »
Pat ~ Glad your son is home and that you were able to get your ride in!

Good work all!

Still no real exercising here...off to surgery center for Kendie's surgery...say a little prayer for us!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2010, 08:44:58 am »
Still no real exercising here...off to surgery center for Kendie's surgery...say a little prayer for us!

K   ;D

What surgery, Kay?  Did you tell us and I missed it?  Certainly will be thinking of her today...let us know how it goes.

All you guys who are reporting in are doing great!  For those of you reading, but not participating with us yet (come on in!), remember, you don't have to do an hour or even 30 minutes at one time, just get in 15 minutes of something active if you can (I've got my husband doing crunches and/or the plank during commercials at night - yes, he loves me even so).  Try to make it a priority - just like brushing your teeth ;D  I used to get up and try to decide if I was going to exercise that day, now I don't allow myself to have that conversation, I know it must be done - I just decide which type of exercise I'm going to do.  Ok, ok, I sure try to stcik with that anyway  But, let's have a "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy around here ;) You guys, Just DO IT  And have FUN with it :D

As usual, I'm inspired just by reading this thread every day!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:49 am »

Lori - I tried to do some exercises via laughing this evening but my favorite shows are reruns which ticked me off, is venting exercising?

Jill, if it is, then I don't need to do anything for the rest of the month.  I did enough yesterday to last at least that long!!   :D

Patrick, glad your son is back home, but sorry he still feels icky.  I hope that doesn't last for too long.  Kay, thinking of the little one today - I know she'll do great!  It's you I'm worried about! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.