Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420775 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2010, 05:50:23 pm »
WAY TO GO PHYL!!  WHOO - HOO!!!

Good job everybody!

Lori~
You don't need to lift your coffee cup - just use a straw you silly girl!

Way to go everyone - snow is a comin' down here!!

K   ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:57:02 pm by Jim Scott »
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2010, 07:32:51 pm »
Saralynn,

Guess I shouldn't mention that we went to the bakery on the way home....   :-[  They should not have built a bakery across the street from the Y!

Kay, just call Jan to come shovel your snow for you.  She's really good at it! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2010, 08:28:44 pm »
Lori, the crowd I hang out with at the gym drops by the bakery once in a while. The way I look at it, we could be going to the bakery and NOT to the gym, so we have to be ahead.

The calories don't count if you are sweaty.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
WOW!!  Looks like this thread is really working!  What's amazing is that as Sara says this is the time of year where people usually stop working out.

Pat, I can't imagine doing a 40 mile ride, I rode 20 miles once with my husband when I was in pretty good shape and didn't do anything the rest of the afternoon and evening & walked slowly the next day.  Glad you can do it and I'm assuming you enjoy it or you wouldn't do it two days in a row.

Cindy, how was the 1/2, when I read your post before you did the 1/2 I had no idea what you were talking about tell Keri clued me in.

Lori, when you have kids especially young ones, best laid plans are to be changed.  Don't worry about leaving the little one it's a good way for her to get use to being with others and if you take good care of yourself then your better prepared to take care of her.

Sara I went to the doctor too and there scale said  I was 6 pounds lighter than the gym, of course I didn't actually loose anything but at least the number was better.

Kaybo, your plate is full and only you can decide what to do with what little time you have free if you have any, if you don't go skiing perhaps a nice walk will do.

Phyl, sorry to hear that you miss the gym, it sucks when you want to do something good for yourself but your body won't let you.  I bet the dog loves the walk, we walked our dogs for over an hour yesterday and they were happy and quiet the rest of the day.  We walk along the railroad tracks where there's no traffic so we can let them run, they get twice the exercise we do.  Congrats on loosing the weight, the only way I can do it is by working out.  My hubby told me yesterday that I wouldn't have to work out as much if I just ate what I needed during the day instead of eating what I want, I choose to work out more and eat what I want. 

If I have athlete's foot does that mean I'm an athlete?  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:20 am »
If I had known I was going to get a tetanus booster yesterday, I would have done upper body yesterday and lower body today, because let me tell you, the doctor was not kidding when she said my arm was going to HURT today.

OK primal scream over. Upper body workout and 35 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Tomorrow is a regularly scheduled rest day.

On a positive note, it's sunny today, which lifts my spirits 100 percent.

Have a great day.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2010, 07:00:13 am »
I'm not much on self-help books, but I've found a good one that might be helpful for others trying to get back into exercising and eating well.  It's "Small Changes, Big Results; a 12-Week Action Plan to a Better Life " by Ellie Krieger who apparently is a host on Food TV's Healthy Appetites.

While some of the information in the book is a no-brainer, I've found it very helpful and a great way to reinforce what I should be doing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22:24 am »

If I have athlete's foot does that mean I'm an athlete?  Jill

Jill, absolutely!   :D

Jan, I'll have to check that book out.  I've seen her on Food Network, but maybe if I didn't have such a healthy appetite, I wouldn't need the exercise!   ;)

Sara, tetanus shots do hurt, but it probably would have hurt more if you didn't exercise that arm and get it moving.  When I worked at the doctor's office, I would tell people who just got their shot to make sure they moved that arm around a lot that day.  Helps to disperse the injection and it hurts less.  So, your arm probably hurt, but just think, it probably could have been worse!   :D  And this way if you fall off the equipment and cut yourself, you won't have to get another shot for a while!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2010, 03:10:52 pm »
What a beautiful day we (three girlfriends) had for our 1/2 in Jacksonville!  It was such an awesome race!  Much bigger and better than the one I did on Halloween (of course it rained every step of the way for that one).  It was very well done and all for breast cancer.  The course was so picturesque - part along the intercoastal waterway, part right on the beach.  Many spectators cheering us on and so many great people we met all along the route.  Much fun and we beat our previous time by about 10 minutes, not much, but we were pleased about it.  I'm still sore and wheezing and coughing a bit, but not too much the worse for wear otherwise.  Did give us the perfect excuse to really pig out on pasta and treats all weekend!

Will now be taking a break from these long distance things and try to just keep some other regular sort of exercise routine going.  I'll be getting my inspiration to keep it up from checking in with you guys here, so keep this thread going with your triumphs (big and small) and let's all try to spur each other on :) 

Go to the gym tomorrow, get out for a quick walk, or do a couple of jumping jacks during the commercials as you watch the Olympics tonight! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:22 am »
Cindy - I've been wondering about your half although i haven't been on here in a few days. Good for you!! I'm so glad the weather was nice and it was enjoyable. And beating your last time by 10 minutes is HUGE!!
Phyl - thank you so much for sharing and I'm glad you're here and can help us get back to it when we need to (like, i need a kick in the butt right now)!
Kay and Lori - understanding that with kids and all the stuff that goes with all their activities it's hard, but we keep plugging along.
Sara - it's always interesting to hear your plans and progress.
Jan - don't send any more snow our way either! whether you do the gym or not, keep us posted.
Patrick - how's the biking?

OK, i didn't do my 10-12 mi run last week. it was all i could do to get out the door when i did (which wasn't much) i did sleep in last saturday - really needed it. i do need to do a long run this saturday. we're going through tough teenage daughter depression problems right now, and sometimes i just want to sit and stare out the window. but that usually makes me feel worse. so, please, tell me to get with it. i do feel better once i get going.

thank you to all of your for keeping up with this thread. it's helping encourage me a lot right now!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2010, 07:20:58 am »
keri... you know me... great for butt kicks! :)

Thanks all for the kind words of support... You have NO idea how much they help me!  Thank you!

Weather and my health have not been cooperating the past few days.  So, have been listening to my body and taking it a little easy the past couple of days. Desperately waiting for weather to clear so I can get out and walk. In the meantime, there are stairs here in the house (we live on 2nd floor of 2-family house) but have had to gingerly do the stairs due to health. If things "feel better" in next day or 2, will attempt "cardio" workout on the stairs since the weather is forecasted to remain lousy.

Keep up the good work all! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

texsooner

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2010, 08:20:28 am »
OK Keri...you asked for it. Get with it and get out there for a good long run in the next few days!! It will serve a good dual purpose for you: 1) stress reliever and 2) keep up with your mileage for your training base that you don't want to lose. 

Now, I need the same butt kicking. I have the big MS bike ride (from Houston to Austin) coming up in about 7 weeks and while I'm in decent shape from my running, I haven't come close to logging the miles necessary on my bike to be properly trained for this ride...(of which much of it is in the hill country). It has been an unusually cool winter here in the Houston area....I'm a weenie with cold weather on a bike. I would much rather ride when it's 100 degrees than to be doing it when it's 40. Regardless of how cold it is, I need to start increasing the bike miles soon. 

As always....stay active in some way and be safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2010, 09:02:12 pm »
Patrick, when you said what you did about your bike ride being in 7 weeks, i thought 'hey, i wonder if it's the same week i signed up for the marathon?' and it is! april 17. and believe me, i'm undertrained at this point. i'm still on the cusp of being ok if i get myself in back in gear this saturday with resuming long runs (missed last week). when you said you're in 'decent shape but not close to logging in the miles needed' boy, can i relate! so we can motivate each other. i also think what you're doing is such a worthy cause (he's biking 150 miles to raise money for MS). My mom has MS and i think it's a very worthy cause to support.

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »
PATRICK - GET ON THAT BIKE AND RIDE, NO MORE EXCUSES ABOUT THE WEATHER, IF YOU THINK IT IS COLD THERE YOU ARE WRONG, IT'S MUCH COLDER BACK EAST SO NO MORE EXCUSES, NOW GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 10, ON SECOND THOUGHT GIVE ME 50

KERI - RUN LIKE THE WIND, NO MORE EXCUSES OUT OF YOU EITHER, LIKE PATRICK SAID, IT'S GOOD FOR THE STRESS, YOU CAN'T CONTROL EVERYTHING THAT IS GOING ON, YOU DO WHAT YOU CAN, THEN LET TIME TAKE IT'S COURSE WHILE YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF

DRILL INSTRUCTOR JILL
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:02 am »
Joined the health club last night - along with my almost 14 y/o son who has promised to show me how the machines work.  They have staff who will do this, but at his age (often one of attitudes) I'll take all the help he's willing to offer me.

Now I just have to get myself there  ::)

Looks like Jill's a good drill sergeant.  Perhaps I should put her on retainer  ;)  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:24 am »
Jill,

I know a Navy recruiter if you're looking for a new career!   ;D  Looks like Phyl has some competition in the whip-cracking department!   :D

I'm off to the Y myself this morning.  Got some disturbing blood work results from the doc yesterday that seems to indicate I may have been cursed genetically (AGAIN!) with early heart disease - so there's my wake up call to get moving!!!  James told me he doesn't want me to wake up dead.   ???  I told him I wake up dead every morning, but I still get up and go about my day!! 

Good for you, Jan.  You should have joined down here so we could go together.  Is the commute too long for you?

Lori