Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 430107 times)

Mei Mei

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1140 on: October 30, 2011, 07:14:54 am »
I just noticed you were in the Marine Corps Marathon.   I wish I had read carefully.   I could have come down and cheered you on.   Let me know the next time you run and need a cheering squad.   I'll be there.

You must live in Montgomery County.   The County offers gym access for I think $140 a year if you are under 62.   They just remodelled ours and it even has a tv in it just like at the expensive gyms.

Suburban Hospital has a Healthy Heart program and a gym and Adventist Rehab also has a gym membership.    I go to Sibley Hospital to swim.    No more gym fees for me.     Maryland is a great place with great resources.   Use them and save your $$$.

Don't forget to let me know when you're running next.   I'll be out there waving a Go Keri Go
sign,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

texsooner

« Reply #1141 on: October 30, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »
I know Keri ran and finished the Marine Corps Marathon, as I looked up the posted results.....I'll let her fill you in on the specifics, but she did outstanding.

Keri, has been through a lot this week and she made us proud. Way to go Keri!!!!!

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #1142 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »
WAY TO GO, Keri!!!

Way to turn a bad week into something good.  So proud of you!

Jill Marie~
Thank you for your sweet words and offer of a listening ear. I will send you a PM as this Forum is not really the place for us to list all our non-AN problems...suffice it to say that I have been hit with an awful lot in a relatively short time but I have a strong faith and some GREAT friends and I WILL be OK...just some days I think I would rather go back to bed rather than the gym!!   ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1143 on: October 30, 2011, 09:25:03 pm »
Here's to Keri - who started this thread for us and continues to be an inspiration even in the face of adversity.

Kay - as long as it does not become a habit, going back to bed once in a while is perfectly OK and a way to gain strength to persevere.

Jill Marie - praying that your situation comes out for the best.

Mei Mei - thanks for the helpful suggestions.

msmaggie - watch out for those pesky skeeters. Sounds nasty.

Hoping everyone has a splendid autumn week. Take care.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mei Mei

« Reply #1144 on: October 31, 2011, 10:22:54 am »
 ;D   Yay Keri.   You make up PROUD!!!

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Jill Marie

« Reply #1145 on: November 01, 2011, 11:22:45 pm »
Just a quick note or two!

Mei Mei -  Thanks for the alternate gym membership ideas, will look into them if I have to.  I would hate to loose our membership because we got it so long ago when prices were so much lower, I think we pay about $300 a year for both of us, membership is due in December so don't recall off hand. 

Sara - Thanks for the prayers, so far we are doing ok, just hope there aren't anymore cut backs at his work.  With the hours he's getting he gets to keep his medical, which means a lot. 

Kay - Sent you a PM, hope all goes well tomorrow.

Took a LONG walk with the dog & Hubby Sunday, can really tell I need to get back to the club, boy was I beat.  Take Care and good luck with getting back on the exercise wagon, Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Mei Mei

« Reply #1146 on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:21 am »
Some phrase I heard about vacation leave when I worked for the government:
Use it or lose it.

I think of that as I go to the rec center and my bone builders class..

Your gym is pretty inexpensive.    My was $125 a month and went up to $135 this year.    I miss the steam room and the refrigerated towel but I can do that as home.   They dip it in eucalyptis water bfore they go into the fridge.
Hugs and use it or lose it! :D

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1147 on: November 02, 2011, 01:18:00 pm »
Good to see this thread is still going strong.  And that lots of you are still so active.

As for me, I dropped out a while ago - good intentions but no action taken  :(

Am gearing up to go back to running - just ordered a great new book called something like "Running your butt off".  I need to turn those good intentions into something concrete.  Will work on that.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brewers7

« Reply #1148 on: November 03, 2011, 12:47:28 pm »
I have been trying so hard to get my speed back.  Did 3 miles this morning.  Still a long way to go.  I started running consistently when I was nearly 40.  I ran like Forest Gump until my surgery at age 50.  I am trying to remind myself that, in addition to recovering from 5 brain surgeries, I am no longer 40.   ;D  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1149 on: November 05, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »
been a lazy walker after a great start...may revise goal to 250 miles by Christmas instead of 400 ... life just got busy and we got lazy... and had a fall that dislocated hip so a bit gimpy ...

did manage to get in 3 miles at school on Tuesday then another 2 miles when I left school for the day and  my truck quit on me   >:( ...at least it was a nice day ...55* and breeze and not the 35 and hurricane wind that it was two days before ... Bo's cousin came by in one of the tree trim trucks from the light department and offered me a ride ...   I was only about 100 feet from store I was walking to to get a can of gas and figured I had walked a mile and could get in another if I just walked back to the truck ... the shoulder was only about a foot wide... it was not the best walk I have had in my life

first stop was garage that put fuel pump in and messed up my gas gauge ... this is second time I have ran out of gas ... first time was a week after they worked on the truck and hand showed a quarter of a tank ... they worked on it and this time it was sitting an nearly half... gonna watch miles instead of gauge ... Bo talked to them and they said bring it back ... but living in the stick I need my truck so told him I would deal with it my own way which includes a gallon of gas in the tool box across the back of my cab

hope every one who is having struggles does better this week...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #1150 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:39 pm »
Mei Mei - Yep my gym is really cheap, that's why I don't want to give it up.  Would cost a lot more to start again.  However, the gym was bought out last year so It's possible that I won't get the same low price this year, should know in a month.  Got my fingers crossed because I don't want to loose it.

Keri -  Congrats on finishing the Marine Corp. Marathon, post when you can to let us know how you are doing!

Jan - Just remember wanting to do something is half the battle, since your half way there how about finishing the battle and start doing some exercises, walk, run, nothing big, just something to say I'm doing it.

Susan - Yep, 5 surgeries and a few more years change things but we can change with them.  Make reasonable goals for your health and age and enjoy the run.  I can't run at all so just be glad you can.

Soundy - It's ok to adjust your goals if they aren't working for you, as long as you make new goals to reach.  Looks like the truck is making sure you gets some walking done before Christmas!

Started back at the club tonight, with the time change I get home from work to late to walk Rose before it gets dark.  Did the bike for 30 minutes on a lower speed than last spring but will get there in time.  Best news is that I haven't gained any weight since last Spring, hope to when I put some muscle on, then loose the fat weight.  Burned one calorie for every pound I weigh.  Not telling how many calories I burned, he,he! 

Hope everyone gets a chance and the motivation to get some exercise this week.  Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Jill Marie

« Reply #1151 on: November 11, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »
I ACTUALLY MADE IT!  I went to the club M-F, the last two days were tough.  I was tired and my eye was giving me trouble but I SO wanted to post on here that I was finally back on the exercise wagon so I did it anyway.  Another week of just the bike then I will start on the weights.  Been sleeping better and eating less because of the workout so it's good all around.  Hope everyone had a good week and enjoy the weekend!  Jill Marie 8)

Brewers7

« Reply #1152 on: November 12, 2011, 06:53:54 am »
Way to go Jill Marie.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #1153 on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:14 am »
AWESOME, JM!!  So proud of you!! I have to crawl back on the wagon but haven't gotten too much sleep lately. Aside from taking care of Dave (who is doing great, btw), I had a sick girly for 2 days!

Keep it up!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1154 on: November 12, 2011, 05:13:28 pm »
Kaybo -

glad Dave is doing great.  Give him my best  ;D

Sorry for the hijack, all  >:D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways