Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 425255 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1125 on: October 20, 2011, 07:46:05 am »
I have not done anythng but eat last week and this and plan to eat MORE this weekend in New Orleans!!  I plan to get back strong after we return.  I was thinking this morning that I can hopefully sneak in some walks while Dave is recovering...I know I will need the mental break and fresh air!

Proud of you girls!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1126 on: October 20, 2011, 11:42:06 am »
Red-faced here because I really fell off the exercise wagon when we were in North Carolina and Texas the past two weeks.  I did do some walking and stair climbing, but that was about it ..... sad to say.

Back to the grindstone now!!!

Way to go everyone else!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #1127 on: October 24, 2011, 09:13:52 am »
OK - I MADE myself go walk this morning...only 2 miles but ran a good bit after I had weighed!!   :o  Haven't worked out in over 2 weeks and have eaten everything in sight!!  Time to get back on track!  Hold me accountable - I am going to the gym tomorrow - at the very least walking...maybe both!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #1128 on: October 24, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »
Kay, no pressure or anything but it looks like you are the one that could pull the rest of us back on the wagon.  From what I have read most of us haven't been doing what we would like to do for ourselves.  As Sara says, she's been plugin along except for a slight set back.  Sara can't do it alone Kay, you got to post tomorrow to let us know you are back on the exercise wagon to stay.  Then one by one the rest of us will join to support you or join out of guilt, either way it will be good for us.  I've been walking with Hubby and our dog Rose but only 20 minutes or so a day.  Next week when the time change makes it impossible to walk after work I will head back to the club and get serious again, but only if Kay gets me motivated.  Once again, no pressure!  Jill  P.S. Thankfully the Halloween candy will be gone this time next week! Love those Paydays! >:D >:D >:D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #1129 on: October 25, 2011, 07:07:16 am »
OK - Jill Marie - you did it...I'll admit that I was going to take my daughter to school and then come home and go back to bed - maybe to stay there all day (I just have finally had enough!).  However, I read your post while I was waiting for her to finish getting ready and now I have my workout clothes on.  The gym is right by her school so I will stop there on the way home...I can't guarantee you how much I am going to do, but I will make the effort...

Thanks for the SUBTLE push... ::)

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1130 on: October 25, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
We have a great new cardio machine at the Y - it's the Precor AMT, which stands for automatic motion trainer - or something like that. It changes movements according to stride length and is a killer workout, great for interval training. You gotta love, or maybe hate, a machine where the easy level is like a stairstepper. It's also less impact than the treadmill, which I need to avoid until my heel is fully healed.

Lower body workout today, and probably again Thursday while I wait out my inflamed deltoid. This is kinda a funny injury; it doesn't hurt unless I am doing something like putting on a coat, but then it really hurts. Overhead press, lateral pulldown and pec fly also seem to aggravate it.

I can't remember if I posted here that I gave up wheat October 1. I'm down several pounds and my little fast-rise muffin top has all but disappeared, for which I am eternally grateful. Now for those pesky hips and thighs.

Jill, the trick to Halloween candy is to buy something that you don't like. Kids don't care - they just love candy.

Good work, Kay! The days where it is hardest getting motivated for the gym are the days I'm happiest to be there. Not sure if that made sense, but I hope you know what I meant.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1131 on: October 25, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »
Adaptive Motion Trainer - I just looked it up. Here's a link: http://www.precor.com/products/en/home/amt/amtr-835-adaptive-motion-trainer

Geez, look at that price. Maybe I'll get one for home - NOT.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #1132 on: October 26, 2011, 10:15:31 pm »
So nice to see some activity on here!
Kay - good for you.  Sara - hope your heel is completely better soon.
Good to hear from everyone else too.
Will write more later...
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1133 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:13 am »
Heel is better, arm is not. Lower body again today.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #1134 on: October 27, 2011, 07:15:47 am »
Keri - I have so been thinking about you - big love & hugs to you!!

Going to the gym, going to the gym, going to the gym....maybe if I say it over and over, I will go in there & get my clothes on & go...

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1135 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:16 am »
The weather is cooler, so I started walking around my neighborhood and was really happy until THE MOSQUITOES invaded us! If you live in Houston, you know what I mean. Clouds of the pesky creatures envelop you when you walk out the door.  I slathered down with bug spray, covering every square inch of exposed skin except my face, and not only did they attack my face, they bit me through my shirt.  The cool front due today is supposed to reduce the numbers, and I really hope it does the trick so I can get out of my house again.
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jill Marie

« Reply #1136 on: October 29, 2011, 12:22:12 am »
Kay - I'm so happy that I was able to help you get going.  Now I'm hoping that your getting going will help me.  I'm in a severe rut with little desire or motivation to get out of it.  You mentioned in your post that you would like to go back home after dropping your daughter off at school and just head back to bed because you've had enough.  I know this is an exercise thread but if you want to talk about what is bothering you I'm hear to listen if you want to share.  I'm sorry I didn't post to you sooner but the night after I posted to you my husband told me he might be getting laid off.  Thankfully we found out today that he isn't getting laid off but his hours will be cut from 40 to 25 hours a week.  If he got laid off I would have to quit the gym, something I know I need even though I don't feel like doing it right now.   I know that something will happen to make me want to get back to exercising again, it always does.  Once it happens I won't be able to quit.  I'm a creature of habit!

Sara - I totally agree with you on the Halloween candy, I usually buy the candy myself.  Luckily this year Hubby was with me and picked up candy I don't like.  Then in a moment of weakness while at the store by myself I bought the now empty pay day bag. 

Maggie  - so sorry to hear that you can't go out and enjoy yourself because of the mosquitos.  There are only a couple of times each summer that I find them to be a problem, usually while camping.  Can't imagine having to deal with them to just take a walk, hope the cooler weather takes care of them.

Mei Mei, thanks so much for posting about your success with the Chen Tai Chi classes.  My sister has been a dental assistant for over 30 years and as a result has a frozen shoulder.  She had tried pt and other things as you have.  I emailed her to let her know how much better you have been doing since taking the classes.  Hopefully she will have the same success you have.

Does carving Jack O lanterns count as exercise??  First off I carried six pumpkins into the house then cleaned them off,  then hauled them downstairs.  The next evening I brought them upstairs one by one so I could trace the pattern on them that I would later carve.  The carving starts tomorrow, hopefully I can get a dog walk squeezed in between the carvings to add to the exercise time.  Jill >:D

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Mei Mei

« Reply #1137 on: October 29, 2011, 07:08:26 am »
Jill Marie,
I'm sorry you might have to quit your gym.    I just quit my gym last month.   There is a gym across the street from my house inside the Rec. Center.   Take advantages of your county offerings.    This gym is now Free to me because I turned 62.    There are gym classes in our local hospital for $10 per month in the healthy heart program and a pool at the other hospital where I am going.    Check out your hospitals and local rec. depts.   You'll be surprised at what you will find.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Keri

« Reply #1138 on: October 29, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »
GOod advice, Mei Mei.
Jill Marie... really hope things work out.
Gotta go to bed... Marine Corps Marathon tomorrow. Want to run strong. More later, but, well, it's been a tough week!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #1139 on: October 29, 2011, 08:32:14 pm »
Hope all goes well for your marathon Keri, sorry to hear it's been a tough week.  Jill :)