Author Topic: Healthy Recipes  (Read 1733 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Healthy Recipes
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:17:37 pm »
OK y'all, If I'm gonna get in shape and eat right, then alla you wenches are too!!!  Captain's orders!

I was JONESIN' for choccie all week, so I made my favorite brownies--not just yer ordinary FATTENIN' brownies with butter an' eggs, but really good dark chocolate ones from the Cooking Light magazine---here ya go:

1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 egg whites (I use 1/2 cup egg beaters--or no real egg and 3/4 cup eggbeaters)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa (I use the hershey's dark cocoa)
1 teas espresso powder (really fine ground cofee beans will work)
1 teas baking powder
1 teas vanilla
1/4 - 1/3 cup nuts

Preheat oven to 350. Coat an 8 inch square pan with Pam. 

In a large bowl mix oil, sugar, and eggies.  In a smal bowl mix flour, cocoa, espresso powder, and baking powder.  Add to creamed mixture and combine well.  Add Vanilla.  Mix in nuts, if desired. The nuts do add calories, so you really can leave 'em out if you want.  Do NOT eat all the batter before you pour it into the pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes or you will burn the inside of your mouth.  Do not eat the whole pan in one sitting or the brownies will really not be that lo-cal.  If you cut them into 20 pieces (yeah, right!) they are about 100 calories each.

Enjoy!

I know La Pearl has a smoothie recipe to share with us and I have a great Veggie Chili recipe and a rub for poultry that is outta this world.

Captain Deb 8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:31:51 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Healthy Recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:42:56 pm »
I've been grubbing all week on a cabbage and kielbasa soup that's good for you....not normally my thing, but it's really good.  My mom made it up.

1 Hilshire Farms Turkey Kielbasa
1 onion
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
2 cans chicken broth
1 can petit diced tomatoes
1 can water (use one of the cans above)
2 T cider vinegar
1 T brown sugar

Chop onion and sweat in a little olive oil.  Add other ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes. 

Mine came out a little cabbagy, and would maybe add a little more broth and water.  It's actually the best after it's sat in the refridgerator for a couple days then reheated. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

Re: Healthy Recipes
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:49:30 pm »
Deb what do I need the recipe for?  Im just gonna shoot up to your house for some!  I'd have to shake the dust off the kitchen to make my own  lol :-* 

Kahtleen you know apple cider is suppose to help you lose weight! Will mom make me some too?