Author Topic: Noisy Environments and Balance Relapse  (Read 17495 times)

another NY postie

Re: Noisy Environments and Balance Relapse
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 06:24:02 am »
There is a tremendous dimensional difference that people just don't get. If I can make an analogy - this is like saying to someone with one leg that going uphill is hard for me too.
:(
Neal

Neal, I think you hit the nail on the head for me.  I think I way underestimated the adjustment from going from hearing to SSD.  I was around 85% on my SSD ear prior to surgery.  I think that this adjustment is HUGE for the brain and I did not really think about my brain adjusting to that...certainly I knew I was re-wiring for balance and all my focus has been on that, but my true level of discomfort is noise and SSD effects.  I also think that the SSD, in fact, affects my balance in those noisy atmospheres...there is too much to process by the brain when it is still healing and trying to figure out the balance and the hearing.  

I know people look at me and see normal...I also don't show physically when I have had a rough nights sleep...so everyone thinks I am just rocking and rolling along on this. I haven't been sleeping because I am back in this weird, VIVID dreaming state I go through sometimes.  I actually think some of it has happened, it is so vivid.  Then I am exhausted all day.  I think it is due to overstimulation of my brain, once again! :P

I have a meeting with my principal tomorrow.  Not sure what it is going to do except keep her abreast of my recovery status.  I am taking sick days when I need them.  I don't expect much from the meeting but at least she will realize that all is not always well that looks well.

You all are awesome by the way!  I would never wish this on any of you but it is sure nice to know that one is not alone and that there is COMPLETE understanding and empathy out there in our AN land!

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:26:12 am by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 08:23:54 am »
Hey Cheryl - I think you are describing this whole thing well.  Considering the circumstances, we are ok.  But all those things people can't see, drive us nuts.  I think it's good to talk about it with your principal and co workers in a "update" kind of tone instead of a complaining "had a bad day" situation.  So I think good will come from your meeting today - even if you don't see it directly.  Better to play offense than defense all the time!

The lady that I know here in my town that had this tumor a few years ago...the one that lead me to be looked at...she got the musician ear plug just this winter...5 years post op.  She loves it.  Says it really tones down all the loud social places that she would tend to avoid, but still allows her to hear.  She paid about $100.  Can get more info if you'd like...
Have a great day girl, A
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Tom Browning

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 02:11:22 pm »
I am very confused about balance right now and what exactly affects it.  On paper, I have had an amazing recovery.  I was jogging around 6 weeks, rode a bike at 11 weeks and skied at 14 weeks.  I did not, however, return to work until January 4th.  I teach in a middle school and it is noisy and chaotic and the doctor wrote me a note for after the holiday break.  I went back feeling great and able to take it on.  I was jogging/walking about 3 miles a day and sleeping well. I knew that I would have an adjustment period getting back into the routine.  I expected fatigue at the beginning.  

What I did not expect and have been experiencing is balance issues.  It is like my brain cannot process all the stimuli that I am receiving throughout the day.  I have a hard time hearing and my head aches by the end of the day.  I started clipping walls with my shoulder - something I haven't done since week 3 or 4.  I actually ran smack into the corner I was rounding and slammed my face.  I had never done that once during post recovery.  My hearing seems to have become hyper sensitive.  I had no issue before with hyper acoustia but yesterday the sound of dripping water in my kitchen sink sounded deafening.  This Friday my surgery side actually ached and hurt where my jaw muscle was cut.  It hurt like it hurt after surgery but I had not felt ANY of this for about 8-10 weeks.  I am dreading going back tomorrow - the hallways alone strike fear in me.  It is like I am trapped in a food court at the mall for 8 hours.

I was told by a physical therapist on Thursday that I went to see that my brain is still re-wiring and that I have overloaded it.  I have also not been sleeping well and she said that was probably due to the overstimulation also.  Has anyone experienced this type of regression?  I feel it is all brain related.

Hi Cheryl,
Sounds very familiar.  Last week things were going very well (I'm now 9 weeks post op) so I was very active over the weekend, we even went to a concert Saturday night. And Sunday was jammed, but by that evening, my head became numb all over, tinitus was at a new high level, and I felt like my head would explode from pressure. I was wondering if I had over stimulated everything, so your experiences and what your therapist said makes sense to me.  It's now Friday, and things are starting to return back to where they were last week.  My balance is getting better as well. ( skiing at 14 weeks? I'm thinking more like two years for me)   So I'm going to take it easy this weekend and see if that helps.
Good luck.
Tom
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:20:02 pm by Jim Scott »

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 11:43:07 am »
Reading and posting my own thoughts on this thread actually brings tears to my "eye".   It is good tears because it actually comforts me and makes me remember I am so not alone!   If it weren't for this forum, where would we be??

Besides the same SSD issues, I have had increased annoying tinnitus the past couple weeks.  Man does that add to the issues.

I wasn't sure of posting this, but no harm & possibly helpful to others:    I started seeing a counselor just 2 weeks ago.  Only about 2 1/2 months post op.   I am SO glad I did.   I can 'bounce' my thoughts and issues off her and she sure has some additional outlook to things.   It has been very nice.   It seems like I was doing more 'venting' to my wonderful, understanding husband(best friend).   Now I am much better at not diong that either.     So, just a thought for others in case some of this stuff brings you down in a way.   We have had many changes and Cheryl, I like you "underestimated the adjustment from going to hearing to SSD".

Thinking of you all and praying for us all!!

P.S.   THANKS AGAIN,  Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 04:09:13 pm »
All I can possibly add to this thread is Amen..well defined and related!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT