Author Topic: Preparing for BAHA surgery  (Read 12158 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Preparing for BAHA surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 03:40:22 pm »
Surgery is a piece of cake.  It can be done under local or general.  That is decided by you or your doctor.  Washing hair is out of the question until your first doctor visit a week after surgery.  Driving is out of the question for a few days.  If I were you, I would take a few sick days if you have any available at your job.

I've had two surgeries and the first one was done under local ( I was wide awake and talking to them) and the second one was under general due to being 3 hours surgery (bilateral).  My first surgery was a little over an hour long and it was like a trip to the dentist office (almost).  ;D

For more info on me, see Link to Cochlear America community forum profile; Kencutus

Hi Kencutus and welcome! :)

As we know, no surgery is a piece of cake (we have had some folks on this site that have had this surgery with some issues), but thanks for sharing your experiences with everyone, as I know it's going to be helpful.  Looking forward to your continued participation here and again, welcome. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 04:22:42 pm »
Hi Kencutus.

I was one of the rare ones who was able to wash my hair the same night as my surgery and I never had to keep the area dry.  Maybe it was because my doctor knew me well enough to know that come heck or high water, I was going to wash my hair!   :D

I was also able to drive the next day.

But, one can always use a few extra days off of work, so if it's an option, I'd probably take a few!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 05:31:54 pm »
Washing hair is out of the question until your first doctor visit a week after surgery.  Driving is out of the question for a few days.  If I were you, I would take a few sick days if you have any available at your job.

Ken -

thanks for the link  ;D  I'm a Cochlear volunteer, but got my BAHA because my AN surgery left me SSD.  Sounds like you got your BAHA for other reasons, and I'm glad it was an option for you.  I love my Divino and will be upgrading to the BP100 in a few weeks.

All docs are different and lots of surgeries have different twists, but my doc let me wash my hair 24 hours post BAHA surgery and I was driving the same afternoon.  I was able to drive because I had local anesthetic (lidocaine shot into my head).  If I would have chosen general, I'd imagine my doc would have given me a driving restriction for a day or two.

I only took off the day or my surgery (for obvious reasons  ;) ) and the following day because my head was still wrapped in lots of white gauze - and I was a strange sight  ;D

Thanks for sharing your experience, and welcome to the Forum.

BTW, did you have your BAHA surgery in Chicago?  And who is your doctor?

I'm a patient of Dr. Robert Battista's - Ear Institute of Chicago  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:02 am »
Washing hair is out of the question until your first doctor visit a week after surgery.  Driving is out of the question for a few days.  If I were you, I would take a few sick days if you have any available at your job.

Ken -

thanks for the link  ;D  I'm a Cochlear volunteer, but got my BAHA because my AN surgery left me SSD.  Sounds like you got your BAHA for other reasons, and I'm glad it was an option for you.  I love my Divino and will be upgrading to the BP100 in a few weeks.

All docs are different and lots of surgeries have different twists, but my doc let me wash my hair 24 hours post BAHA surgery and I was driving the same afternoon.  I was able to drive because I had local anesthetic (lidocaine shot into my head).  If I would have chosen general, I'd imagine my doc would have given me a driving restriction for a day or two.

I only took off the day or my surgery (for obvious reasons  ;) ) and the following day because my head was still wrapped in lots of white gauze - and I was a strange sight  ;D

Thanks for sharing your experience, and welcome to the Forum.

BTW, did you have your BAHA surgery in Chicago?  And who is your doctor?

I'm a patient of Dr. Robert Battista's - Ear Institute of Chicago  ;D

Jan

Thanks for the welcome,  I'll be darned.  I had both Richard and Mark Wiet MD who operated on me at Hinsdale Hospital from Ear Institute of Chicago.  Richard Wiet did the first surgery in Dec. 08 but my abutment came out in May 09 so I went back to Richard and he passed it on to his son, Mark.  Mark Wiet was new and joined his practice the same year I went to see Richard Wiet.  I have known Dr. Wiet since the late '80 when he did the Xomed Audiant implant (pre-BAHA).  Mark did the bilateral Baha on me in the end of June and yes, I was the first for him to do bilat.  Got refitted in September and loving it!  The reason why the abutment came out was because it was too high up on my head and I kept bumping it too many times enough to loosen it.  Now, both of my new abutments are placed behind both ears and out of harm's way. My Baha hasn't fall off anymore.   Boy, this is a small world!  ;D ;D
Sorry, I really don't have AN but I have Treacher Collin's syndrome.  I thought I can be benefit to you guys because of my BAHA experiences.  You guys are right, Every Doctor is different and how they run their practices and procedures.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 06:58:27 am »
Ken -

glad you found us; and an AN isn't a requirement of joining our little group  :)

Richard Wiet is one of the best and I highly respect him.  It is a small world.

You are correct.  Mark Wiet is a new addition to the practice; not many procedures under his belt.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 07:33:40 am »
Ken,

You are absolutely a benefit.  It's always good to get many different perspectives.  Sounds like you have experienced every aspect of the BAHA and the surgery!  Quite a road you've been on.

We're not really as exclusive a group as we like to claim - we welcome anyone - AN or no AN!  ;D

Did I hear Jan offer to buy you a cup of coffee at your next visit to the doc?   ;)  She's so nice.

Lori

I know Phyl...back on topic....
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 08:22:56 am »
Coffee, hell.  I'll buy you lunch.

Great idea, Lori - why didn't I think of that?  ;D

Hijack over, Phyl  :)

Jan

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »
When and where do we meet?  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
Hijack over, Phyl  :)

Please.....

back on topic folks....

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"