Author Topic: Panic attacks  (Read 25109 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Panic attacks
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 05:10:02 pm »
Dear Pat,
I'm glad you found us and don't blame you for seeking out panic attacks.   Keep coming back to us, but also keep researching the cures for reinnervation.
Hang in there.
Sinverely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 12:54:48 pm »
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I had a full blown panic attack this morning and there ws already a thread about it so.....

Yesterday I woke up with a horrific migraine and awful back pain.  I took Fioricet for the migraine and nothing for the back pain because I didn't want to mix another pain med in there.  The Imitrex I take for migraine is usually useless on wake-up-with headaches.  I am having issues with both my GP and my back doc regarding getting my pain controlled.  My GP refuses to prescribe pain meds to anyone--I think he was a substance abuser and lost his license to prescribe narcotics.  I have hyrocodone for my headaches when they get unbearable, but only a limited amount so I try to take it only when my back gets unbearable.  I put in a call to the back doc to ask for some help controlling this pain on Wednesday, but he never returned my call.

Then last night my hubby decided to pick a fight with me over something so dumb, I can't even tell you what it was.  I was so upset, I took an Ambien and went to bed at 8:00.  My grandkids got home around 9 or so and I woke up at 2 AM and was still crying. Both my back and my head were screaming at me.

I woke up this morning at around 9, (grandkids stomping up and down the stairs over and over again) still in pain, and started crying, then hyperventilating and having chest pains.  I finally got up and got the hubby, who got me a plastic bag to breath into to try to calm me down.

I am so tired of being in so much pain, not sleeping well because of it,  and having the doctors treat me like a drug-seeker!  I have a great life, a wonderful family and would be a pretty happy camper if I wasn't in so much pain all the time.  I see the back doc on Tuesday and he is going to get an earful for not returning my call, and am seeking out a new GP ASAP.

Whew! That felt better!  Thanks for letting me vent.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:56:51 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 01:37:14 pm »
Deb ~

I'm so sorry to learn of your most recent pain problems.  I hope and will pray that you can find relief, soon.  I'm also glad that you have a place to unload your frustrations.  I know it helps - so vent anytime, Captain.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »
Deb,
I'm so sorry about the problems and everything caving in all at once;  it really isn't fair.   Doctors don't return calls.   At least mine don't.   I feel your pain about your husband.   Just take a breather and take your space.   Everybody needs their space and our AN issues ... well maybe our family members sometimes get tired of hearing about them 24/7.   At least mine do.   I talk about them sometimes.    My father's home health aide asks me every morning, but health is her profession.   My kids don't want to hear it every phone call.   I think it scares them.   

Just some people aren't supportive, but you know we are and will always be here for you.   The website is wonderful.   If you want to PM do so ANYTIME!!!!
Take care of DEB,

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

moe

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 11:29:49 pm »
Ah,
Capn Deb I'm so sorry to hear of your migraine, and back pain to boot >:(
Sounded like the Botox was working for you. Hang in there, capn and vent away!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 01:42:57 am »
I wish I'd had some Xanax, and I tried to tell my GP about my "wonkyhead" so he gave me 10 of them over a month ago with no refills.  He adamantly refuses to refill any med over the phone--you have to come in and fork over the money to get refills on anything. "I don't like Xanax," he says.  I have been taking it to try to get some sleep when my back wakes me up every night at 2 AM when the Ambien wears off.  I have been out of it for 2 weeks. This stuff, and painkillers are friggin' MEDICINE for cripes sake!  It's just a shame that the recreational druggies and substance abusers have ruined it for the sick people whose quality of life is in the toilet. I have already accepted the fact that I will probably have to be on some sort of medication for the rest of my life because these headaches aren't going anywhere.  "You'll get addicted" they say.  So friggin what!  I'd rather be a little addicted than suffering all the time like I am now.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:47:57 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 06:55:24 am »
Awe, Capt Deb, I hate to hear that you are in so much pain.  I am very fortunate to have a PP who understands pain and doesn't want anyone to suffer because of it. 
My younger daughter is pregnant (yeah, she has waited a long time for this).  Because she is older (34) she is experiencing problems younger Mom's don't,  She is having severe back pain and because of the pregnancy can't take drugs.  Her doctor recommended a "Snuggle".  It is a pillow that looks like a coiled snake.  It wraps between the legs and up along side your body or anywhere you need to relieve pressure.  She is totally amazed at how much relief it has brought her.  Her hubby has chronic back pain and didn't believe the relief she got so he tried it....he bought one the next day and doesn't sleep without it.  It is just a thought, but maybe your body alignment isn't right when you sleep.  Um...you need to be bowing into a paper bag for hyperventilation...is he trying to suffocate you with the plastic one?  Take care and feel better.  Oh and vent away...that helps me a lot and I do it often!
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:29 am »
oops, my brain wasn't working (that's my story and I am sticking to it).it is a Snoogle and can be purchased at BabysRUS
 :-[
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

moe

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »
I wish I'd had some Xanax,  This stuff, and painkillers are friggin' MEDICINE for cripes sake!  It's just a shame that the recreational druggies and substance abusers have ruined it for the sick people whose quality of life is in the toilet.  "You'll get addicted" they say.  So friggin what!  I'd rather be a little addicted than suffering all the time like I am now.
Capt Deb

Amen Capn Deb!
Doctors are not thinking sensibly and rationally when they refuse to prescribe drugs that  real normal people need to feel better. Thanks you drug addicts!
Do we look like drug addicts?! (hmm, you DO have a lot of tattoos, but we know YOU are not one of those)

I take xanax twice a day for tinnitus, the extended release. Took a LONG time to find someone who would actually continually write for it. They don't even carry it at the Naval pharmacy!
When I had my  face surgery last week, I told them I was on xanax .5 mg extended release 2x/day for severe tinnitus. Many a doctor/nurse would go over my meds and say so you are on xanax, prn?

I repeatedly said "NO! I am on it for tinnitus control."
You don't take it as needed?
"NO I take it EVERY DAY TWICE a day for TINNITUS CONTROL.DO you hear me??????'

It is so ingrained as a bad bad addictive medicine, which it is. But we are well educated rational adults.

So whatever helps you feel better, just keep bugging them. A little xanax a day is NOT going to turn you into  a drug addict!!!!!!
Now if you keep asking for higher doses, that's a different story.
Okay end of soap opera on xanax.

BTW I'm so sorry about your headaches, and your panic attack. Have you considered chinese acupuncture????
MOE

jennifer7

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »
Capt Deb
I'm sorry to hear about the added pain from your back and sorry about the doctor.  Pain control has been a fairly new concern in medicine--maybe look for a younger doctor or definitely one who is concerned with the quality of life.
Hope tomorrow is a better day
Jennifer

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 08:14:16 am »
I remember the days of surgery with little after surgery pain medicine ...

had a botched gall bladder removal that kept me in hospitalized for 16 days instead of the planned 4 days ...I was not given pain meds except at the 7:00pm  med run after the first 6 days … and only something evey 8 hours in the first 6 days  ... also have a scar that runs from split in my rib cage , down to belly button and past it almost to pubic bone ...how big is a gall bladder ???  ... for what ever reason they used rib spreaders on me that made my whole chest hurt ... I also have two new belly buttons (old now since suergery was in 1980) where they had put tubes to drain fluids coming from where gall bladder used to be and another added on day 6 to drain ooze that was mostly clear with some blood ...but every little bit the pump would suck out white stuff ... I had a raging infection and pain all over ... and just lay moaning and groaning in unbelievable pain ... and evidently called my mom , who had left the hospital the day of my surgery with my new baby sister) and called my dad and friends and maybe the President and my congressman... I don't remember calling anyone , but they say I did and was crying and hurting ...I honestly believe that alot of my lack of healing was the fact I was tumbling in a bed hurting so much that I was causing stuff inside to be further injured  ...

Have had other surgeries more recently as in 1997 , 1999 , 2001  and hysterectomy (March) and AN (July)  in 2007 … less pain equaled faster recovery …except for the residual pain from AN surgery

It took me almost 2 years from AN surgery to get good pain treatment ... and now that is going to change due to insurance and money ...I have 3 days of lyrica and then switch to Neurontin …will hope for best

Back to the panic attacks … I have them and they can range from just sweating and shaking to hyperventilating and wanting to hide and cry … I have had a few mild ones in past week and think it is the worrying about what the med change will do … will it work? Or will I have to sell my one fully functional kidneys or one of the girls to afford lyrica … was on Prozac for OCD tendency that were creeping up on me …but they made me feel jittery so stopped them … but had fewer panic problems …

Will say that at nearly 3 years out the panic attacks are better and seem directly related to what is going on with me AN wise … brain wreck headaches , wonky headedness wobbles or frustration on back sliding facial nerve and all the other changes that are seemingly never ending 

I just get up everyday and hope for best and usually not overly disappointed
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

moe

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 10:01:45 am »
Woah, Soundy,
You have had your share of surgeries :o I can kind of understand why you have panic attacks. That gallbladder surgery was the clincher.
I so hope that you can continue your meds.
Cheri just posted an interesting update on a med that she is taking for another health issue that helps her wonkyness. I found it interesting.
Here it is: I just copied the interesting part.

As for me, I have to share some personal info concerning my AN therapy.  I have been taking ADHD medication for about 5 years.  I stopped taking my Strattera one week prior to surgery and resumed within 2-3 weeks post op.  Recently, due to the economy and no medical insurance at the moment, I chose not to spend the $200 a month to purchase the med back in Feb.  It's been approx. 3 months and I can honestly say that the wonkiness came back in full force!  We broke down and got my prescription just days ago.  I cannot tell you how much this has helped!  I don't know if it's a brain receptor thing or what, but there's a notable difference.  I can actually say it's totally gone!  I can't help but wonder if this med with these components in it doesn't actually help move things along with rehabilitation.  Just a food for thought.  As of 3 days ago I'm feeling terrific!
Interesting  huh ???
Maureen

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 05:02:32 pm »
I have panic attacks that just come on me but are more prevalent when headaches are at their worst... one time I do panic is being put under ...you would think it would come easy with as many times as I have been under .. when I had my AN surgery I talked to the anesthesiologist forever and he gave me stuff to take for the three days prior to surgery and had an IV drip of really good stuff dripping in me before surgery and after ... he also added Zofran to the IV as I come up throwing up every time I have had surgery ... I threw up after AN surgery but not in recovery when they were bringing me around ...would have been bad with the breathing tube they had in me ...

I have declined as many surgeries as I have had ...mostly orthopedic things that I didn't think would improve anything but doctors wanted to try ...like straightening my arms ...they are crooked and have been since birth and work fine for me ...and for most part no one really notices them ..

I will say that things in the whole medical field has changed in many ways and most all for the better ...things are much better now than when I had gall bladder removed 30 years ago ...

a big thing is the pain management ...I remember being told that the pain was a good thing , it told the nurses that things were working because I could feel ... but it also meant I rolled and tumbled , with them telling me that if I wanted out I needed to stay still ...I was caught in a no win situation ...

I am glad that if I had to have an AN that I had it now and not way back then ... if I and others have the issues we have post surgery with all improvements that have come along I just wonder what problems we would have if operated on long ago ...

last dose of Lyrica tonight ... go three days with nothing and then start on Neurontin and hope for best ... I have Day Camp starting the 21st and want to be headache free for that ...I have been taking increasingly lower doses (that looks and sounds all wrong ) but anyway ... been lowering dose of lyrica a little at a time and have had more break through headaches that I like and more Tylenol …
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

moe

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 08:53:49 am »

I am glad that if I had to have an AN that I had it now and not way back then ... if I and others have the issues we have post surgery with all improvements that have come along I just wonder what problems we would have if operated on long ago ...

Honestly, death or permanent vegetative state for me :o I had a complicated bloody tumor that had totally squashed the the cranial nerves. The doctor said there was absolutely no way in saving the face nerve. All the branches were obliterated. Thanks to the gifted neurotologist ( who trained at HEI), there was no stroke, and no other problems other than the facial nerve saga. PLUS my recent miracle surgery for smile restoration definitely would NOT have been available back then!
Maureen

moe

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:51 am »
Oh yea, and it was compressing the brain stem in a MAJOR way!