Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled at UC  (Read 3627 times)

usa2010

Surgery Scheduled at UC
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:34 am »
It has been a long month of reading, researching, and deciding- but there is such a relief in having made some decisions and having a date on the calendar. I met with Dr. Tew on December 21st and felt very comfortable with him from the introductions. He reviewed my tumor (2 cm diameter and 9 cm long) and concluded that my two primary surgical options were sub-occipital or the trans lab approach. They retested my hearing this past week to see if there had been any changes over the past month and the results were still very favorable. After meeting with both Doctors Tew and Pensak the decision was made to schedule the sub-occipital surgery. I will undergo the procedure on January 26th.

Still feeling anxious- but I do feel comfortable with the procedure and the treatment team. I am, of course, still concerned about possible side-effects and how those could bear on my daily life and career. The inability to decipher friend or foe through the lack of bi-lateral hearing and wondering how this will effect my deployability/ military career.

Next step- get a bag packed for the hospital and see what comes next!
Retrosigmoid 1/26/2010 Dr. Tew and Pensak
No facial Paralysis. The verdict is out on the hearing.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery Scheduled at UC
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:20:15 am »
USA -

congrats on scheduling your surgery.  You are in excellent hands with Drs. Tew & Pensak - they both have wonderful reputations.

Sub-occipital (aka retrosigmoid) is a good choice if your hearing is favorable, since translab will automatically take it away.  I'm hopeful the docs will have a good chance of saving your hearing.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:33:46 pm »
Good luck to you. You are in good hands.  I also had surgery at UC with Dr. Tew and Pensak in January 2009 and have nothing but positive things to report. Send me a message if you want any information on what to expect at UC.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:47 pm »
[...]He reviewed my tumor (2 cm diameter and 9 cm long) and concluded that my two primary surgical options were sub-occipital or the trans lab approach. [...]

Congrats on scheduling your surgical procedure!  So, did I read this right, 9cm?  Or did you mean 9 mm? 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »
USA2010 ~

Congratulations on your decision as well as attaining a surgery date at UC.  Best wishes and prayers for a wildly successful operation and a rapid recovery!  :)

I've taken the liberty of adding your surgery date to our 'AN Treatment Calendar'  http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments.  Feel free to modify if you wish. 

Jim

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:28:02 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:06 pm »
I know how it feels to have the weight lifted once you make that crucial decision...It sounds like you are comfortable with your decision and that's the most important thing.  Please continue to post if you come up with anymore questions or just need to vent.  Good luck!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Kiwi Don

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »
Hey USA,

Glad to hear you have made the big "D", I hope all goes well in coming weeks.
Look forward to hearing from you as things progress.

Kiwi Don

24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"