Author Topic: Is an AN or menengioma diagnosis ever lucky?  (Read 7527 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Is an AN or menengioma diagnosis ever lucky?
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:28:12 pm »
Apparently in my case, it is. I saw the doc today about my sleep study. He was having a very hard time time expressing this given the severity of both Bob the tumor and my sleep apnea.

If it had not been for the total loss in left side  hearing this year, I would not have seen the ENT, who sent me both for the sleep study and the MRI.  Apparently I was a walking time bomb and would have been likely to stroke out or go into cardiac arrest just about any night.

I maintain that I am the luckiest person I know.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

lori67

Re: Is an AN or menengioma diagnosis ever lucky?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:14 pm »
Tod -

It's all in the way you look at things - I'd say your optimistic attitude is going to serve you well!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »
The half filled glass.
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:27:09 am »
Wow!  That actually does sound lucky!

I also feel that I was "lucky" to have my tumor discovered when it was.  I was very dizzy and *BAM*, the first thing the first doctor that I saw did was send me for an MRI.  I thought it was WAAAAAAY overkill, but now I'm so grateful.  Because they caught the tumor early, the surgical removal was easy and my facial nerve was never in danger.

I think attitude is so important.  I agree with you that sometimes things that seem unfortunate are actually a blessing in disguise.  I know that since this whole ordeal I have looked at my life with a little more of a "glass half full" eye and I try to appreciate my family and friends more.  Life is what we make of it!

Lyn 
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:05:42 pm »
here is why i a mglad to have my AN:
  i weighed 148 in 1990, racing bicycles in freshman year of college. i am 5'8.52432"  ;) tall
i ate three trays of food at teh dorm for every meal, and burned it all off riding 200-250 miles a week, on average.

as studies kicked up, and cycling fell off, the appetite and social time at the table soldiered on.
I ballooned up to 180ish
  at the end of medical school i was up to 190ish
  at teh end of residency, and getting married in 200, i was up to 200
  my new high (read: new LOW) is 255.

despite several attempts to get serious and shed some weight it has been to no avail.
despite neck surgery in 2005 (unrelated to the obesity) i vowed (but failed) to lose some weight.
  despite being diagnosed with non insulin dependant diabetes about a year ago . . . i still am procrastinating on changin things.

like most of the country i am eating myself to death.

THIS NEUROMA, i promise you, is finally the kick in the pants i need, to lose the weight.
THIS NEUROMA, will burn off 70 lbs.
THIS NEUROMA, will get me off of CPAP for sleep apnea
THIS NEUROMA, will get me off of all my diabetic medicines.
THIS NEUROMA, will get me in shape
THIS NEUROMA, will move the immovable object (me)
THIS NEUROMA, will add 10-15 years to my life.

not to hijack a thread, but i think you were looking for ways in which people have found silver linings, to their little grey clouds made of myelin.

jesse
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

Tod

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:36 pm »
That is exactly what I am looking for Jesse. Finding the good in this scary stuff. I'd much rather sacrifice half my hearing for my life. No brainer.

I hope you find that this is the kick you need to be successful in your goals.

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:47:09 am »
Tod: Yup the AN finally being found was a good thing. If it had not been found I wasn't long for dead. I have gone on to have a pair of wonderful children since then and they are my life!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:59:42 am »
I definitely feel lucky being diagnosed with an AN.

There are so many other worse things I could have been "gifted" with. 

Having an AN changed my life and the way I look at things.  I think I'm a better person for having had one.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:04:30 pm »
Tod, you are right. This sounds lucky. As upset as we get when we are diagnosed, at least we have to be thankful that it was found prior to any complications. Great attitude!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Mark241

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 03:51:02 pm »
Your exacty right Bob. I went for my MRI for a hearing problem, and found not only the AN, but a menengioma on my C1 that had compressed/bent  my brain stem almost in half. If my ENT had not ordered the MRI my Neuro said I prob would have died within a year. I loved my AN for that, but glad it's gone. Keep up the fight.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Tod

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:41:21 pm »
When I started this topic almost a year ago, I had no idea that a mere five weeks later I would undergo 31.5 hours of surgery, six days of intubation, and 14 days in ICU, one night in a regular room, and home. It has been an amazing year.

While I still have deficits of speech, swallowing, and taste, life is pretty darn sweet. I've lost 40lbs, the sleep apnea is much, much improved, and I am running again (that is a story in itself). And honestly, my behavior is better - I'm a better, gentler person.

So, I still maintain that I am the luckiest person I know. But that is from my perspective, and I hope everyone can feel that way about themselves.

Life is extraordinary.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:48:33 pm »
Tod, I had to scroll a bit to figure out that you started this thread a year ago. That is quite the upbeat update you have posted. If you can feel that good after going through all that, we should all take it to heart that there is good living to do after having an AN. As you have said, life is extraordinary.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 07:10:58 am »
I think it is lucky because of things that have been mentioned previously in this thread, but also because of all the wonderful, upbeat, honest , and compassionate people on this forum.  They are just the best!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.