Author Topic: a variation on raven's thread: W&W duration, and hearing reression  (Read 4673 times)

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
just read raven's " how long have you been in W&W" thread.

as a side to it . . .

for those in W&W, specifically the no growers, (and NEARLY no growers) (<1mm/year) . . .
what has happened to your hearing, if anything?
hearing over all on the afected side, and USABLE hearing, more specifically.

thanks,
jesse

ps, please include your timeframes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:05:36 am by neuroma_racer »
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Re: a variation on raven's thread: W&W duration, and hearing reression
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:41:11 pm »
I was having ear pain and temple pain back in April 2009 and that is when they found my 5.60 cm X 4 cm vagal schwannoma.  Since then, I am not aware of any growth as I have not had any MRI's since.  However, the muffled/plugged/pressure feeling in my right ear has been increasing slowly.  Only 2 times since has it been so bad that I thought I just can't do this.  But in general, the pressure/muffled/plugged feeling is 24/7 but with little actual pain.
:)
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

Derek

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:04:15 pm »
Hi there Jesse...

I was diagnosed in March 2002 with a 2..5cm AN re diminishing hearing on my affected right side which had become apparent during the previous month. Within 6 months I had total hearing loss on the right side. Nature has since compensated and I have no specific problems in managing my day to day routine in consequence of which I have not had any necessity for the fitment of an audio enhancement device. My AN is currently 1.5cm which indicates an actual reduction over the ensuing period of almost 8 years. Perhaps this is down to a combination of good luck and good management but I sure hope that it continues that way!

Regards

Derek

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:11:32 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »
I've only recently joined the ranks of w&w, but pretty sure Lumpy's been there for at least a couple years. Anyway, I only noticed a hearing loss since last April when I had this "ear infection" and extreme vertigo out of the blue. That's what alerted me to the AN in the first place. Not sure if it was an ear infection or what. My hearing isn't that bad though. My husband is waaaaaay deafer than I am and he doesn't even have an AN. We're going to be a swingin' couple when I finally go totally deaf..."huh, what'd you say?" ... "What! You say something?"
Oh yeah...good times
DJ
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:40:06 am »
I`ve been diognosed W+W going into third year. So far no growth and hearing is the same (good). Iv`e had tinniitus my only real symptom for 30 years. Unknowm how long I`ve really had this AN. I`m hoping that my AN has reached its maximum and intervention will not be necessary. Keeping healthy and staying the course of the W+W brigade! Best Wishes, Mickey

clr

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:55 am »
My daughter was never on a W&W list. What made her go to the doctors in the first place was that she had lost all hearing out of her left ear.   It was quite a sudden loss of hearing, also. She had no other symptoms.  Her drs say that she has had the tumor for so long that her brain compensated, giving her no noticeable symptoms. 

Her balance nerve was taken with her first surgery because the tumor had completely consumed it.  However, again, since she had the tumor so long, her brain adjusted to having no balance nerve.  She has never really had a problem with her balance before or after surgery.

Good luck!
Cindy

I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:15:28 pm »
I was diagnosed in March 09. I already had 30% hearing loss. I am two months away form being on W & W for almost a year and I find that my hearing feels like it deteriorated, although it has not been confirmed by objective testing. My neuro said that regardless of whether I get treated now or not that my hearing will slowly be completely lost as the damages are permanent. In a way I am geting used to gradual hearing loss and at the same time I think that once I lose all of it I may have better sound effects on my good ear as now everything seems muffled, even when I am watching TV.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:33:43 pm »
I was W&W for seven years.  My hearing deteriorated over those years to the point where translab was an option when I finally had sudden growth, but I had not noticed the decline.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness