Author Topic: Starting CyberKnife Treatments on Monday!  (Read 16954 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Starting CyberKnife Treatments on Monday!
« on: December 31, 2009, 12:34:41 pm »
It's official, my first CyberKnife Treatment is Monday, January 4th.  I'll have a total of five treatments; the 4th thru the 8th.  We did a simulation run thru last week, so I have a good idea of what to expect, including what its going to be like wearing the restraining mask for an extended period. 

I start taking the Dexamethasone tomorrow; twice a day until gone.  I also have a prescription for Diazepam to help me relax which I'll take when I arrive for each treatment.  All standard stuff I imagine.  The radiation oncologist is the same Doctor that treated my wife for breast cancer four years ago.  He's a good man who I trust and we like very much.  Treatments will take place across from Kennestone Hospital at the Wellstar Cancer Center in Marietta, GA.

That's it, now you know!

Best wishes for the New Year!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Starting CyberKnife Treatments on Monday!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:33:02 pm »
Doc ~

Thanks for the update.  It appears as if you have everything lined up and are ready to go next week.  You'll have the hopes and prayers of many going with you. You'll be O.K.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:26:37 am »
All the Best Doc, all the best.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:08:58 am »
Hey, Doc!  Happy New Year and what a way for you to start!  Let us know how things go next week...hope this is the last of the procedures for you, know you're ready for a break.  Think I told you that I met Dr. McLaughlin last year - he does seem like a great guy...and we know he's got a great machine over there! 

How did things go when you met with Gaye?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Doc

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:07:55 am »
Hi Cindy,

Yup, Dr. Mc is a good guy!  I don't see Gaye until the 11th of January but over the last couple of days, and maybe I'm dreaming here, I've felt the neatest sensations in my left cheek and lips...kind of like an electrical shock running thru the area...I think maybe things are starting to spark back to life in there...gosh, I hope so.  Meanwhile I can't wait to start my visits with Gaye, I'm certain she'll be able to help!  I'll keep you guys posted as I make my way thru the CK Treatments.

Hope you had a good New Year too!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »
Good luck, Doc B.

Hope everything goes well  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »
Best wishes, Doc, I hope your CK goes as smoothly as mine went. And that the little rascal gets good and zapped.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
Be thinking about you this week!  Just know all will go well.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

suboo73

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:28:20 pm »
Doc,

Happy New Year and good luck with your treatments!

Keep us posted on your progress.
Prayers all around.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Doc

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »
Thanks everyone, as always I appreciate the kind words of support.  Certainly hope this is easier than the Translab surgery I had back in July--has to be!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:58:22 am »
Here's wishing you smooth sailing through your CK treatments, Doc.

My advice (as a toastie postie who had CK)  in a nutshell: arrive early at your appointments so you can take your anti-anxiety meds early (so they are fully "kicked in" before they start zapping your tumor). If they let you bring music to listen to, choose something nice and soothing, and play it at a low volume so you can hear any communications from the technicians over the intercom (if they use one). (They'll probably periodically let you know how much longer you have to lie there til they're done, etc.) Then, when treatment starts, close your eyes and think about how CK is helping you regain your health. Watching "The Eye" move around your head is kinda freaky (to me, at least), so I just recommend you keep your eyes closed, think positive thoughts and groove to the meds.

CK was a blessing and miraculous for me. You will do great. We'll be thinking of you on Monday.

Wishing you all the best,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

windy

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:22 pm »
Best wishes on your treatment next week Doc!  I hope your treatment goes extremely well.  TW just offered some great advice.  I think you will be in very good hands with the doctor you know and trust.  It makes for a special physican/patient relationship!  Keep us posted!

Windy
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:08:46 pm »
Doc

Dr Phyl says your gonna rawk it! :)  Hang tough... look for the "eye" ;).... bring fun music with you... and know I'm cheering you on! :)

Dr Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

opp2

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 08:44:03 pm »
All the best tomorrow, and this week Doc. We know you're gonna ROCK it!!!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Doc

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 10:29:32 am »
Heading into the Toaster here shortly...I'll post and update this afternoon...thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement and support!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc