Author Topic: I had my operation on Thursday 17th december  (Read 4268 times)

aj44

I had my operation on Thursday 17th december
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:49:31 am »
My surgery took eight hours long. the surgeon had to leave  some of the tumour  I will get the remainder of the tumour  radiated later on. The right side of my face has no movement but I will get all my feeling back eventually.my right eyelid is open the whole time and needs to be taped down securely at night following regular eye drops and eye ointment.My vision in the right eye is blurry and i sometimes wear an eye patch to use my left eye only. Has anyone any tips for me it's only been a week since my surgery happy christmas to ye all  :)
4 to 5cm AN removed on December 2009

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: I had my operation on Thursday 17th december
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:28:46 am »
Congrat ultions on being a Postie!  I had my surgery on Dec 14th, so I'm only a few days ahead of you.  I hope you are doing well and resting a lot.  I don't think I am far enough ahead to give you any tips, other than nap when you are tired.  I'm keeping strange hours these days. 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
aj
My best advice is to follow your Dr's directions, get lots of rest, take walks and try (This is the hard part) to be patient with yourself and your body while it heals. Like you, I woke with some facial  paralysis and I just tried to have faith that my surgeons prediction that my facial issues would reslove as he was so confident that they would. The best part was that he was right on. So take good care of your eye while you need to and get rest and take walks and let your body do what it needs to do to heal. Take care.
Erin

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:12:11 pm »
aj -

congrats on being a postie!  ;D

My best advice to you is have patience and take it easy.  Things get better over time and you are just barely past your surgery.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 02:44:19 pm »
AJ ~

Congratulations on a successful AN removal surgery!  I'm sorry to learn that you have some temporary facial immobility but I'm confident, as you are, that this will subside, in time.  You may have to consult with an ophthalmologist as to how best to treat your eye(s) but for now, do what you have to (ointment, patch) and as others have said - and I'll simply amplify: rest.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:44:58 pm »

Time is what it takes for facial paralysis and for your eye. My vision was very blurry within a few weeks it recovered. In fact, my vision now is better in that eye. I visited the opthamologist quite often in the first months, it was kind of fun to see how fast my vision came back. I like Lacrilube for my eye and eventually went on Restasis. Stay strong
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »
Congrats on becoming a postie!  Rest rest rest!!  How much tumor did they leave?  I'm interested because they left a teeny bit of mine but never talked about radiating or any kind of follow up treatment.  Best wishes and patience to you as you recover.  :)
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cyrmom2

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 09:49:12 pm »
Congratulations on a successful surgery.  Like you, I had complete paralysis on my tumor side after surgery.  It has been 4 months since my surgery and I have almost all movement back.  I hated taping my eyelid closed at night but it did help - so did the external eyelid weight.
Best wishes for a smooth and complete recovery!
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

suboo73

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 05:50:04 am »
AJ,

Congratulations on completing your surgery! (Sorry i did not see this sooner... ???)

How are you doing today?

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for much healing!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:52:19 am »
Hello aj:  As everyone has mentioned,  get LOTS of rest - I'm sure you feel like you've been hit by a mac truck (I know I did).
I have complete paralysis, I can't emphasize enough the importance of keeping your cornea well lubricated.  I wear an eye moisturizer patch at night. 
It's called NITEYE the Dry Eye Comforter.  They come nonsterile, 24 per box, about $25.00.  They're pricey but worth it for me. They're phone # is: 1-800-874-5797.   Before I found this product I use to tape saran wrap around my eye every night to form a moisture chamber.   I also use Refresh PM ointment exclusively, the drops don't work at all for me.
Please know it will get easier with time.  As you've already been told also,  the sooner you get into a walking routine,  the better you will feel.
Take care,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:59:09 pm »
aj .....

Welcome to postieland.  As the others have said, rest, walk, lubricate eye, rest ...... repeat.  Glad you are feeling well enough to post and let us know.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 09:40:05 pm »
Hi AJ,

Congratulations on your surgery. One day at a time is all you can do. Surgery is no easy task. Follow your doctor's orders and be patient. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

aj44

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 01:35:45 pm »
Thank you all very much for your kind words and advice!

I am resting whenever I feel tired. I was told that I would always feel exhausted but I feel grand for the most part. And when I rest I don't sleep, I just lie on my bed.

As regards to annisa's question; I have no idea how much of the tumour the surgeon left. All I know is that I will get the rest removed by radiation treatment in around a year.

I have just started wearing a lubricated eyepatch to bed. Thanks for the advice nancyann!
4 to 5cm AN removed on December 2009

waypoint

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 06:27:49 pm »
I guess they forgot to tell you that you would get insomina during the recovery period. Good thing is temporary and will go away after a while. I remember laying there and trying to go to sleep and it just not happening. Its those times where you have plenty of time to contemplate and reflect and make a to do list for when you are back up and about. The fact that you are already on the Internet and typing is great progress. Be aware of your eye and don't rub it. Its a natural reflex and will hurt terribly because you can't blink at this time. Good luck....you'll do fine.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months