Author Topic: Dr Doug Long or Dr. Gary Moore in Omaha Nebraska  (Read 5557 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Dr Doug Long or Dr. Gary Moore in Omaha Nebraska
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:34 pm »
I went to see Dr. Doug Long a neurosurgeon on Friday and was very impressed with what he told us.  I would just like to know if anyone has any thoughts or knows of him?  I also will go to see Dr. Gary Moore on the 30th, he specializes in Otology/Neurotology and Otolaryngology.  He will check me for hearing loss and balance.  If I choose to do surgery to have my AN removed, these two would be teaming up to do it.  If anyone has heard of them or has any suggestions, I would greatly love to hear it.  I live in Papillion Nebraska but it's worth it to travel, I guess I would have to.  I've also heard of UofI having good doc's.
My AN is 2.4 x 2.1 x 1.9 and is already causing me facial numbness of my right side of the face and not too sure about hearing loss or not.
Thanks for any advice,
Susan in Nebraska ???
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Dr Doug Long or Dr. Gary Moore in Omaha Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:59:48 am »
Susan .....

I have not heard of either of these doctors.  However, first thing I would do is print out the "questions for doctors" on the ANA website (have you sent for the ANA materials? ..... they are a wonderful resource, as well as very reassuring).  Top on my list would be how many acoustic neuroma surgeries/treatments these doctors have done and what were the outcomes.  You want someone with vast experience specifically with acoustic neuromas ...... this was not one of those times I was willing to be a guinea pig.

On another thread, Brian (Pooter) lists the address for HEI in Los Angeles where you can send your MRI for a free consultation/evaluation of your specific case.  They do hundreds of ANs every year.  Also, it would be worth the call to U of Iowa (Dr. Gantz) for a possible evaluation there.  I drove 6 hours away from my home for my surgery and I do not regret it for a minute (my husband drove us home 10 days post op and I did fine with follow-up from home).

Thoughts and prayers as you walk through these difficult days of treatment decision-making.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:36:08 am »
Susan -

I haven't heard of them either, but then again, I would have no reason to as I'm in Illinois.

Dr. Gantz @ the University of Iowa has some patients on the Forum and they all have nothing but good things to say about him.  You might want to consult with him before making your decision.  Even if you ultimately decide to go with Drs. Long and Moore, at least you'd have another opinion.

I think I mentioned on one of your previous posts, if you are interested in traveling to Illinois (Chicago area), I have a wonderful team of doctors here who removed my AN.  If you should decide you are interested, please PM me and I'll give you more information.

Good luck with your decision,

Jan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:38:08 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:24:22 am »
A search for "Long Nebraska" revealed that Alicia started her AN journey with Dr. Doug Long in Nebraska.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9185.msg102431#msg102431

Alicia ended up going to House back in May. That's not a negative about Dr. Long, but I think she wanted to go with the official ANA advice: ""ANA recommends treatment from a medical team with substantial acoustic neuroma experience."

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.