Author Topic: I'm back and I'm a Postie!!!  (Read 12728 times)

Sobes

Re: I'm back and I'm a Postie!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 10:34:55 am »

Lyn,

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! SO glad to hear from you and SO glad things went GREAT!!!!!!!! I am grinning from ear to ear right now, while holding back the tears of relief!!!!!!!!  ;D

Thank you for the update and for helping to put the rest of us "soon to be posties" at ease! You are now the poster girl for an uneventful, beautiful outcome!! I'm sorry to learn of the SSD, but I think, as you said, we all go into this knowing that is a possibility and if that is the only thing that comes to fruition then our story is a success!! Ahhhh, now you can take a few deep breaths, relax and enjoy the holidays with your little ones!! The strength of prayer and hope is abundant and unbreakable here!  :D

<3 Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

cyrmom2

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 10:47:28 am »
Glad to hear you are doing so well!  Yea, just in time for the hectic but joyful holidays with kids.

Way to go Lyn!
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

hendi51

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:57 am »
Awesome news Lynn. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:29 am »
Lyn,

Great to hear from you!  Jan was about to send out the National Guard after you to make sure you were ok.  :)

Glad things went well.  I came out of surgery with less tinnitus also and really only notice it now if I think about it.  That's great!  As other have said, rest because AN surgery is exhausting to the body..  It needs to heal and will slam you back to the mat if you push too hard.

Welcome home, postie!  Have a great holiday!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 11:45:45 am »
Welcome to the postie side. And rather quick too, 3 days after surgery. I didn't even want to look at a computer screen let alone type something for at least a week. Your ahead of the game. Sounds as if the surgery went well. It also sounds like you had a slim chance to none of preserving your hearing due to where the tumor was located. But it sounds as if they kept your facial nerve happy, that's very good. Lyn; Careful when taking a shower, when you close your eyes your gonna get dizzy especially with the water running down your body. Please don't forget to ALWAYS keep a hand on the wall or something to keep you steady. Or better yet have your husband spot you (hold you), or wash you. I really liked my sponge bath while I was in the hospital. I even got my wife to scrub me down the first shower.

Yes; Being SSD can have some advantages like the sleeping on your good  side like you mentioned. It also gives you a great excuse to not hear certain things as you will find.

So glad to have you as one of us now. The worst part is behind you. Take advantage of doing nothing, or as a mom as little as possible for as long as you can. It maybe your last opportunity.

Congrats on a successful surgery.
Mike

47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 12:48:38 pm »
That's a first!  I find your postie news and you're already on the second page?!!!!  You got a lot of love going on here, kiddo.
Now, keep your incision dry so you don't get any nasty infections.  My docs told me that the reason for tinnitus is because your hearing is diminished due to damage to the nerve.  Your brain turns up the volume on that side to try to find sounds.  (That's my translation of his techy speak.)  My tinnitus increased post-op.  I had "no" hearing on my AN side when I went in, but I found out that no hearing is way more profound than no usable hearing.  Be aware of your surroundings.  I used to have some sense that a person or noise-producing object of another kind was on my AN side, but now I have no sense whatsoever.  I've had some close calls and embarrassing moments.  There seems to be very little one can do to train oneself to "hear" on that side, so I'm hoping for some sort of device to collect the sounds from over there and transfer them to the working side.
Good luck!
Hope you got that I SURVIVED euphoria.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 03:46:47 pm »
Lyn,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful news and welcome to the club!  Take it easy and get lots of rest.

BTW, does reading or being on the computer make you dizzy at all?  I found it wasn't too bad, even after only a few days.  I did limit myself to about 10-15 minutes per session, but never really noticed it causing any issues.

- Dennis

Exactly.  Short bursts on the computer don't seem to bother me.  I haven't tried to read yet.  Honestly, I was SOOOO dizzy before.  Horriby, miserably dizzy.  I think I've adapted to living that way so it isn't a huge shock or change.  I feel maybe a bit dizzier now, but not much worse than before surgery. Just trying not to overdo it.

Thanks to everyone else!!!
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:57:57 pm »
Hey, Lyn!

Congratulations on attaining 'star patient' status.  I'm so pleased to learn of your excellent surgery outcome and ongoing recovery that seems to be racing right along. 

Your experience is very similar to mine and I trust that your recovery will be rapid and complete.  Thanks for the fabulous news.  I'm sure that lots of folks are grinning as they read your positive update.  I know that I am.  :D

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »
Lyn, congrats girl! Feels great to be on the postie side of things, eh? I too am feeling very blessed with how well things have gone for me. Take care and listen to the docs, don't be doing TOO MUCH!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lori67

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 04:21:44 pm »
Congratulations and welcome to the other side, Superstar!   ;D

See, we all told you you'd do great! 

Get your rest, enjoy your family and the holidays (and your noiseless sleep!).  I'm sure you'll be back to your old self in no time!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
Congrats.  Glad you're doing so well, so quickly.  Like others have mentioned, don't be surprised if you have some ups and downs before everything levels off.

Good for you!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

cin605

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 06:16:04 pm »
Congrats to you!Welcome to postie land!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

clr

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »
This is wonderful news that you did so well!! Congratulations!

After each one of my daughter's surgeries, I thought we would not be going home for at least a week! Her surgeries were always on a Monday and we were always on our way home by Wednesday! Totally amazing.

Good luck!!
Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 09:15:25 pm »
I am SO glad to hear you are doing so well this fast.  Of course my situation is different due to additional spinal/neck issues.

BUT, one thing both doctors said that sometimes brings on the delayed facial paralysis like myself and others got is doing TOO much right away.  PLEASE literally just rest, and keep the head up as much as possible to keep the swelling down, and NO bending!

I had also found that llittle earplugs helped if any noise gets a bit crazy in my bad ear.  I can still  hear, but at a softer rate.

God Bless you!!  And best wishes!!

Denise S.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:46 pm »
Congratulations and may you have one very Merry Christmas!

Dr. Antonelli and Lewis are the best and their skills speak volumes.  I'm glad your outcome was a remarkable one! 

Blessings to you and your family this New Year. 

Karen
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear